Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8 man football

I saw this topic discussed some in a thread about a school shutting down their program for the time being and wanted to see if anyone had any additional info. According to that thread, 8 man football was on its way in Indiana. A few questions...

When will this start? 

Which schools will be participating? 

Will they have their own state tourney? 

I think it is a great thing for the state and for smaller schools who may not have the numbers for 11 man football. 

Could this be handled like Wrestling Team Dual State & girls Wrestling? Meaning the tournament & season is ran through the coaches association and not IHSAA? Big problem would be enough officials available. 

19 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Could this be handled like Wrestling Team Dual State & girls Wrestling? Meaning the tournament & season is ran through the coaches association and not IHSAA? Big problem would be enough officials available. 

Possibly. But as mentioned below, the IHSAA was discussing it to make it a sanctioned sport. Does that mean they'd handle it? 

1 hour ago, coachkj said:

Not sure  if there is anything to it......

In the thread, someone had posted a screenshot from the IHSAA minutes to discuss it. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, psaboy said:

So where/who are the officials coming from?  In a time where there is a 'nationwide' shortage happening;  I truly wonder about this.  

I hope that Friday night is not the designated date they hope to play their scheduled contests.....  

7 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

So where/who are the officials coming from?  In a time where there is a 'nationwide' shortage happening;  I truly wonder about this.  

I hope that Friday night is not the designated date they hope to play their scheduled contests.....  

8-man has to be Saturday if Illinois is any indicator.

2 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

8-man has to be Saturday if Illinois is any indicator.

Wednesday in MY opinion.  It seems to be the LEAST likely day that impacts things outside of local association meetings and lower-level (Middle school) FB.  

Saturday (IMO) will quickly become a fall back day for Varsity FB.  It already is when inclement weather affects Friday nights.....

4 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Wednesday in MY opinion.  It seems to be the LEAST likely day that impacts things outside of local association meetings and lower-level (Middle school) FB.  

Saturday (IMO) will quickly become a fall back day for Varsity FB.  It already is when inclement weather affects Friday nights.....

Can confirm Sat is the fall back day for varsity in IL. My cousin is a 1A HC and he will start the season with 7-8 Friday games scheduled and end up with one or two, at best. I surmise it is a trickle-down effect of official shortages that prioritizes higher classes (and maybe money? Don't know if you get more money for higher classes there, or anywhere). 8-man is getting bigger much faster in IL than in IN and I think it will compound the official shortage as smaller schools keep maintaining programs with the 8-man. I don't know how many non-traditional programs will suddenly arise to 8-man, but I think it will be more of a higher maintaining of programs that would have otherwise folded, and the declining official population to cover it all.

8 minutes ago, Esso Ayche said:

Can confirm Sat is the fall back day for varsity in IL. My cousin is a 1A HC and he will start the season with 7-8 Friday games scheduled and end up with one or two, at best. I surmise it is a trickle-down effect of official shortages that prioritizes higher classes (and maybe money? Don't know if you get more money for higher classes there, or anywhere). 8-man is getting bigger much faster in IL than in IN and I think it will compound the official shortage as smaller schools keep maintaining programs with the 8-man. I don't know how many non-traditional programs will suddenly arise to 8-man, but I think it will be more of a higher maintaining of programs that would have otherwise folded, and the declining official population to cover it all.

Again, Saturday in INDIANA is the day that is used to cover weather related 11-man Varsity FB.   Illinois is a much larger state in both population and size....

Wednesday is a better day to accommodate 8-man in Indiana....  Just my opinion.

I thought the proposal was that 8 man would be a spring sport? Since it will offered by non 11 man schools, it wasn’t going to be an issue.

I guess that has changed since it does sound like they are planning on this fall. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:04 PM, Yuccaguy said:

Depends on whether the vast majority of umpires are practicing Baptists. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1