Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A/5A schools without turf

10 hours ago, AW0352 said:

I know Castle still does not have field turf.   Are there any other 6A/5A schools (with their own field) that don’t have field turf? 

That's a shame.  I'm still having nightmares about their field falling apart in the monsoon during the 2008 regional championship.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, jakone said:

Fort Wayne North Side.

It is in the "plan"....  But let's see when it comes to fruition.  (As well as South Side)  

Wayne was to have it this year.  Based upon a discussion I had TODAY, it won't come until the 2023 season for Wayne.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 9:14 PM, AW0352 said:

I know Castle still does not have field turf.   Are there any other 6A/5A schools (with their own field) that don’t have field turf? 

There are no 6As without turf. FW Carroll was the last one. 

As mentioned Castle, Mishawaka, FW NS, Concord, and the two TH HS in 5A don't have turf. 

I also have Cathedral and FW Snider as the schools in these classes that don't have their own field. I did a breakdown off all the teams with turf and have kept that graph for about 4 years now and have updated it. When they come out with the new sectionals I will update it and check again. We are nearing 50% of the state as having turf. 

• Like 1

Talked with someone at Bremen which is a 2A school, field turf is way down the the priority list for school projects.  From what they said, it may require a total redo of the stadium, the field when laid out in the 50's was put in east to west because that as what they had space for.  If they where to do it now, they would want a lay out to go north to south which would require a change in the track and bleacher complex.  So don't look for them to do anything any time soon, unless someone wants to donate to a multi-million dollar project.

1 hour ago, MarshallCounty said:

Talked with someone at Bremen which is a 2A school, field turf is way down the the priority list for school projects.  From what they said, it may require a total redo of the stadium, the field when laid out in the 50's was put in east to west because that as what they had space for.  If they where to do it now, they would want a lay out to go north to south which would require a change in the track and bleacher complex.  So don't look for them to do anything any time soon, unless someone wants to donate to a multi-million dollar project.

I'm pretty sure they can be put in running east and west. 😂

23 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I'm pretty sure they can be put in running east and west. 😂

Yes, but you really would prefer a north-south orientation, so players (and officials) don’t have to deal with the sun in the early Fall.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Yes, but you really would prefer a north-south orientation, so players (and officials) don’t have to deal with the sun in the early Fall.

And you always try to build it so that the visitors bleachers are facing west.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And you always try to build it so that the visitors bleachers are facing west.

So true.

@Bobrefmay know a bit more on the specifics, but I believe Hanover Central is installing turf for this upcoming season.  Their field runs E-W and they are NOT moving the field to run N-S.

I do recall there being an issue with a farmer's land just north of HC's football field/school property.

Before KV completely moved the football field, our old field ran N-S, but we faced west on our home sidelines.  Really stunk when we hosted HOME games week 1 and 2 in 2012.

32 minutes ago, DE said:

Before KV completely moved the football field, our old field ran N-S, but we faced west on our home sidelines.  Really stunk when we hosted HOME games week 1 and 2 in 2012.

That is how my high school alma maters' field was configured, and still is today:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Maconaquah+High+School/@40.6520115,-86.068246,196m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xa1df5e3b1ae69d1e!2sMaconaquah+Middle+School!8m2!3d40.651767!4d-86.060554!3m4!1s0x0:0xcd0e4bc9f33394dd!8m2!3d40.6514808!4d-86.0651915

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

No matter which direction they do it an official will be looking into the sun as it sets. It's usually the H on the visitor sideline. At least if it's east-west the R and U share the sun every other possession.