Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
trojanmp52

rules for 2015

I like the NCAA rule that allows kicks to be run out of the end zone in certain circumstances.

Also, do away with the 5 yd. facemask. It's 15 or nothing.

And please, go back to automatic 1st down on DPI.

Look into DPI but in regards to Not Catchable Ball

As a practical matter, that is normally the way that DPI is interpreted now.

Defensive holding should be assessed from the previous spot, not from end of the run. As of now, if a QB is sacked for a loss of 7 yards because his receivers are held down field, the play would result in a loss of 2 yards. The offensive team should not lose yards on a play with a live ball defensive penalty.

Defensive holding should be assessed from the previous spot, not from end of the run. As of now, if a QB is sacked for a loss of 7 yards because his receivers are held down field, the play would result in a loss of 2 yards. The offensive team should not lose yards on a play with a live ball defensive penalty.

Defensive holding is a 10 yd. penalty, not 5. But your point is well-taken.

This is due to an over-simplification of HS penalty enforcement. I agree this should be enforced from the previous spot, but I also feel most fouls by the offense behind the neutral zone should be enforced from the previous spot. Let's say the LT holds 2 yards behind the LOS and then the QB is sacked for a 10-yard loss. The penalty is enforced from the spot of the sack. Or a hold 10 yards behind the LOS on an incomplete pass. The result could be 1st and 30.

I would like to see the college timing as well. The starting of the 25 second clock is the most inconsistent thing in high school football right now. Every crew does it a little different.

Using parts of the college timing would be fine. I agree the beginning of the 25 second clock is a major concern. I do not want the clock to continue to run after a play is marked out of bounds. The game goes by way to fast when this is happening.

Holding behind the LOS enoforced from the previous spot.

Do you mean holding behind the LOS should be spotted at the spot of the hold?

Imagine a QB scrambling, an offensive lineman tackles (holds) a defender 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I would like to see the start of OT at the 15, 20 or 25 yard line.  The 10 yard line is just too close, imo.

I really like the high school and college OT rules much better than the NFL OT rules.

Do you mean holding behind the LOS should be spotted at the spot of the hold?

Imagine a QB scrambling, an offensive lineman tackles (holds) a defender 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Yes. Let's say the play was 1st and 10. With the current enforcement the next play would be 1st and 28 (assuming the run ended beyond the spot of the foul or the ball was thrown). With a previous spot enforcement the next play would be 1st and 20. Statistics would prove 1st and 20 is very rarely converted and 1st and 28 is almost never converted. 1st and 20 is still very punitive. If the QB is sacked near the spot of the hold, the defense could still decline the foul and result in 2nd and 18.

This is how NFL and NCAA enforce the penalty. What is different about the HS game where the enforcement should be different? The main reason it is different is because the rules committee wants to keep enforcements as simple as possible. Enforcing this from the previous spot would be an exception to the standard penalty enforcement.

Using parts of the college timing would be fine. I agree the beginning of the 25 second clock is a major concern. I do not want the clock to continue to run after a play is marked out of bounds. The game goes by way to fast when this is happening.

The game going by way too fast depends on the team.  Many schools are now throwing the ball 25+ times a game and those games can last 3+ hours. 

1.  Let the boys run a kick or punt out of the endzone.

2.  I like the distance from the ball the kicking team has to be but cancel the # of players on each side of the kicker on kickoffs.

3.  Cancel the rule requiring any offensive player to come inside the numbers in order to participate.

4.  Require both teams to be present for the National anthem.

5.  Make blocked PATs live/returnable for 2points.  Same on turnovers on 2pt. attempts.

2.  I like the distance from the ball the kicking team has to be but cancel the # of players on each side of the kicker on kickoffs.

3.  Cancel the rule requiring any offensive player to come inside the numbers in order to participate.

5.  Make blocked PATs live/returnable for 2points.  Same on turnovers on 2pt. attempts.

Speaking purely as a representative of all "veteran" white hats -who don't run all that well anymore- I have to vote against #5. Nobody wants to see me have to run 90 yds. to cover the opposing goal line ... least of all, me.

• Upvote 1

1.  Agree 100%

2.  Don't have an issue with this rule, it is generally consistent at all levels 

3.  I like the rule as is for ease of counting of players and to avoid the deception that would come with the elimination of the rule.  Only reason I would agree is the inconsistency of crews properly enforcing the current rule. 

4.  Makes sense and teaches kids respect.

5.  Agree this is a change that could add some excitement to the game.  For official at least here the thought of having to go the other way is present pre snap unlike a redzone fumble or INT.

Would like to see NFHS go to the college timing method.

I would like to see the college timing as well. The starting of the 25 second clock is the most inconsistent thing in high school football right now. Every crew does it a little different.

One of the principal issues that makes it impractical to use NCAA timing rules - and a big factor in the "inconsistency" in marking the ball ready for play - is the difficulty we sometimes have in getting the ball back in play. Daydreaming ball boys, a team that only has 2 game footballs ready, and the difficulty in getting a ball in when you have only 5 officials as opposed to 7 or 8, all play a role. The increase in passing plays, and the consequent increase in plays when an incomplete pass must be retrieved, makes it very difficult sometimes. Edited by bobref

Great point Bob about the balls and ball boys.  If one pays close attention to a college game, teams have a ball boy on each sideline and the non spotting official on the sideline is getting a ball to relay in every play. 

For the most part I would like to see all levels of football have the same rules.  A couple of aggravations for me.

1:  The holding penalty behind the LOS should be from previous spot as discussed by others.  This is by far my biggest aggravation with high school rules.

2:  Move the hash marks in to match the NFL.

3.  Penalties on TD's should not be enforced on the extra point or kickoff unless they were personal fouls after the TD.

4.  The free kick following a safety should be from the kickoff line instead of the 20. 

5.  Add the two minute warning...at least at the the end of the second half.

6.  Ban punting and extra points

Edited by Alduflux

If I am not mistaken the state of Texas goes by the NCAA rule book...I dont see why we cant..Prepares kids for the next level...especially cut blocking by RBs and WR's...

IIRC (3) was instituted to end what some called a"Sugar Huddle" which was a group of players standing around the coach, then one or two of those players would step over the line and take their spot on the field. Requiring them to come in past the numbers first gave the opposing team a little time to see and be aware of the personnel and alignment.

IIRC (3) was instituted to end what some called a"Sugar Huddle" which was a group of players standing around the coach, then one or two of those players would step over the line and take their spot on the field. Requiring them to come in past the numbers first gave the opposing team a little time to see and be aware of the personnel and alignment.

This is correct. That's why from a philosophy standpoint a good crew will not flag the situation where a player gets outside the numbers before the ready for play is blown or a receiver who returns from his route stays outside the numbers, especially when he is covered by a defender. It's not done to make counting easier. It's done to prevent the hideout play. I've also seen it correctly called if a team is accidentally a player short and they run a guy out just before the snap. This is a great example of the difference between the letter of the rule and the spirit and intent of the rule.

Texas and Massachusettes are the two states that use the NCAA rules with some modifications. Most of them are around clock management. I think they use 12-minute quarters (rather than 15) and keep the clock stopped when a player runs out of bounds. Texas did move to a 40/25-second clock this year. Indiana does seem like one of the few states that consistently have visible play clocks. This is one of the reasons other states do not support the more complicated 40/25 clock. They are usually pretty liberal with the play clock unless a team excessively delays or time is an issue at the end of a half.