Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Successful Programs

Though about this the other day when I was reading some else.  What would you call a successful program?  Do you have to win state ever year or ever few years?  Do you have to win sectionals on a regular basis?  Or just have a win recorded more years then not?   

14 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Though about this the other day when I was reading some else.  What would you call a successful program?  Do you have to win state ever year or ever few years?  Do you have to win sectionals on a regular basis?  Or just have a win recorded more years then not?   

Wow, lots of factors to think about here. Success means different things to different people. I could right a book on this topic. Anytime a kid can come away from a season learning a few life lessons along the way is a success in my opinion. And that mostly falls on the coaching staff. Teaching kids how to deal with both wins and losses. Teaching kids how to deal with adversity. Kids learning sportsmanship in both victory and defeat. It's hard for me to consider an undefeated team a success if I don't know the first thing about the foundation of the program. The same can be said for a winless team. You could start by looking at what programs give the most back to their communities. 

40 minutes ago, Crusty said:

Mishawaka has had their share of sectionals as well as a few regionals the last 10 years or so and I think they have been very successful. Sure could be a lot worse. 

From a 'performance on the field' perspective, the Cavemen are VERY successful. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

Warren Central has a very successful football program. The Warriors have won nine state championships and have never finished as runner-up. They are one of the OG football blue bloods

That's pretty impressive to have been that many times and never lost in a state championship game.  Are there any other schools, besides WC and LCC that have never finished as a runner-up in a state title game ... with say at least 5 or more state championship games?

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

If the only definition of a successful program is the amount of hardware collected, the game in our State is in FAR worse shape than I thought it was. 

It's comparable to saying Pete Carroll was successful at USC. Championships define who is successful and who is not........unfortunately. In life, you're defined by how much money you have instead of your faith in God, a strong family unit, and the impact you have on kids. Laughable, sick, and sad all rolled up in one. 

That being said, I have no idea what made Warren Central a winning program over the years. But 9-0 in championship games? Damn!

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's comparable to saying Pete Carroll was successful at USC. Championships define who is successful and who is not........unfortunately. In life, you're defined by how much money you have instead of your faith in God, a strong family unit, and the impact you have on kids. Laughable, sick, and sad all rolled up in one. 

That being said, I have no idea what made Warren Central a winning program over the years. But 9-0 in championship games? Damn!

I get that, but from the lens looking the other way; people could look at the record of teams I was a part of and say I had very little success. 
But for me, I look at many of the young men I have coached and see the things they are doing; working hard, being great husbands and becoming great fathers and leaders, and see some getting into coaching and teaching as well, and I know.....as John Mellencamp says "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind". I would say the coaches I have been blessed to work with, regardless of win loss records, we have been successful. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I get that, but from the lens looking the other way; people could look at the record of teams I was a part of and say I had very little success. 
But for me, I look at many of the young men I have coached and see the things they are doing; working hard, being great husbands and becoming great fathers and leaders, and see some getting into coaching and teaching as well, and I know.....as John Mellencamp says "an honest man's pillow is his peace of mind". I would say the coaches I have been blessed to work with, regardless of win loss records, we have been successful. 

I think we are on the same page. Although sports offer kids many life lessons, it's not the end all be all. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 7:34 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

Here’s a little food for thought… Pointing out Tipton and Eastbrook, and Linton on this list from JH’s website.

988D2D31-215D-4FB0-AA0F-8F14AF1C8C3A.thumb.jpeg.26afb0ba916c5d5d7c027f5d6b6a87e0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Some schools can have very successful programs but never win a state championship. Some schools are just not set up to win them. 

Interesting. Not saying you are wrong. Would you care to elaborate?  Thank you. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DE said:

Interesting. Not saying you are wrong. Would you care to elaborate?  Thank you. 

Some programs can be great programs run by great coaches, but because of certain factors they do not have a great chance of winning a state title. There have been many instances of this. You look back at the great Martinsville teams of the 80's and a couple of their mid to late 90's teams. They were unbelievable teams and one of the top programs in the state, but with them being in the largest class there was no chance of them consistently beating Ben Davis, Warren, Carmel in the playoffs. They competed the best they could and got everything out of that program and players at the team. It was still a very successful program at the time even though they did not win state championships. Instances like that continue today with some other factors built in as well. I don't think its fair to base programs and say that they are successful or not just by the number of state titles they have won.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 6:34 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

True greatness is giving your best effort.  You never be defeated if you do the best you can. 

As someone else mentioned on here, not every school is going to be set up for "success".    For example, here in Evansville, a kid that would have stayed and played football for Bosse years ago, might end up at another Evansville school.  As a result, I do believe the gap is getting wider.   This type of thing is so much more common now.   I believe as a whole, this is unfortunate when it comes to sports. 

34 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Some programs can be great programs run by great coaches, but because of certain factors they do not have a great chance of winning a state title. There have been many instances of this. You look back at the great Martinsville teams of the 80's and a couple of their mid to late 90's teams. They were unbelievable teams and one of the top programs in the state, but with them being in the largest class there was no chance of them consistently beating Ben Davis, Warren, Carmel in the playoffs. They competed the best they could and got everything out of that program and players at the team. It was still a very successful program at the time even though they did not win state championships. Instances like that continue today with some other factors built in as well. I don't think its fair to base programs and say that they are successful or not just by the number of state titles they have won.

Excellent post and example (Martinsville with back to back Mr. Football award winners---Earl Haniford and Israel Thomspon).  Thank you.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Devilpride95 said:

Here’s a little food for thought… Pointing out Tipton and Eastbrook, and Linton on this list from JH’s website.

988D2D31-215D-4FB0-AA0F-8F14AF1C8C3A.thumb.jpeg.26afb0ba916c5d5d7c027f5d6b6a87e0.jpeg

Luers is nowhere on this list. I guess they aren't a successful program. Or they play in a conference against schools with 3-5 times their enrollment. 

Successful teams are competing in thier conference and sectional most seasons.  Maybe they have only done that for 2 or 3 years.  It hardly takes a 38 year body of work.  The great thing about Indiana HS football is that it is a little like the stock market, past performance doesn't guarantee future results.

17 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Successful teams are competing in thier conference and sectional most seasons.  Maybe they have only done that for 2 or 3 years.  It hardly takes a 38 year body of work.  The great thing about Indiana HS football is that it is a little like the stock market, past performance doesn't guarantee future results.

Does that mean it's time to reconsider my Enron stock?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Both of them  very over rated

Were they?  I watched them beat a 9-0(?) Center Grove team in the playoffs.  Haniford threw for about a million yards and Izzy ran wherever he wanted. 

Besides, Earl is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

28 minutes ago, Grover said:

Were they?  I watched them beat a 9-0(?) Center Grove team in the playoffs.  Haniford threw for about a million yards and Izzy ran wherever he wanted. 

Besides, Earl is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Izzy was Mr. Football for every valid reason. Dominant in the North-South game when the top players played. Still looks like he could run over tacklers.

• Like 1