Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HS football books

I'm currently reading 'Race and football in America" by Dawn Knight.  It highlights George Taliaferro and by the title alone am hoping by reading it I can continue to do my part to make this world a better place.

I know Dick Dullaghan wrote a book, "Reflections of Indiana football". 

I've read "Chasing perfection" and 'The right kind of Heros".

I was wondering what other books are out there written about HS football. 

• Like 1

The Road to Paradise by Thom Wilder

Just as the film Hoosiers captured the poignant spirit of Indiana high school basketball, The Road to Paradise tells the story of an unlikely and unexpected football champion - an unproven team without a football pedigree.

Considered to be a team that could never seriously contend with the powerhouse schools from northern Indiana, the underdog 1982 Castle Knights of the tiny southern Indiana town of Paradise capped off a magical undefeated season with a championship that the experts in such matters said was impossible.

The Road to Paradise is the story of that season and high school football in Indiana. It's the story of all that happened before and all that would happen after for a team, a school and a community at a crossroads. It's not so much a story about winning, but about refusing to lose. It's the recipe of how champions are made.

Chicago-based writer Thom Wilder is a journalist, teacher and sports a aficionado. He has been a published writer for the last quarter century, reporting on politics, business, law and government at the local, state and federal level for a variety of Chicago, national and international news organizations.

Wilder grew up in the Castle High School feeder community of Chandler, Indiana, receiving a journalism degree from Indiana University and a law degree from Loyola University Chicago.

Wilder began his journalism career at 15 when he joined the staff of his high school newspaper, The Lancer, and quickly became Sports Editor and Managing Editor, giving him a front row seat for the Castle Knights' march to their 1982 state championship.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Paradise-Knights-Indianas-Football/dp/1457512599/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1643829831&sr=8-1

The Way We Played The Game.....A True Story of One Team and the Dawning of American Football

"Football in 1903 was vastly different from the slick spectacle we watch every Sunday afternoon on TV in the fall. It was a brutal, nonstop war fought by young men and boys on muddy high school and college fields across America. Bloody faces, broken bones, concussions and the shockingly high risk of death were the main attraction for hometown fans. The level of violence nearly got the sport banned in 1902, were it not for the intervention of President Teddy Roosevelt."

High school kids scrimmaging the U of Michigan or U of Wisconsin teams....gamblers riding the team train to games and placing bets or pulling guns on each other on the sidelines...coaches recruiting men in their 20's to come play for the high school...this book is a fascinating look into the early days of high school football in America.

19 hours ago, Cappy said:

Yes! I have published over a dozen books about Indiana High School Football. Here’s a link if you’re interested:

http://www.almanacsports.com/books.php

Working on another one too which I hope to announce soon 😊

Dan “Rudy” Engler

• Like 1

Coach Gilbert has a great book(true story) called Team of One. I may be biased but it's a solid read and available on Amazon. It's behind the scenes and gives you a seat at how decisions were discussed and made. I think you will really like this true story of a 1A program.

• Thanks 1