Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Travel Time and It’s Effect On IHSAA Semi-State Outcomes

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That was tongue in cheek. I think the transitive property is an absolute terrible way to compare two teams. But if you're going to use it to make a comparison, at least use all the available data.

Agree.

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

I own it either way.

I screwed up badly on Gibson Southern…showed up the next morning.

I whiffed on Westfield…still here.

Called Fort Wayne North to make a surprise run to Lucas Oil…(raises hand).

Countless examples.  A firm believer that if you’re willing to put your opinions out there, you’ve gotta take the good with the bad.

Passionate about the sport but at the end of the day it’s just a game…like checkers.

Nothing said here matters.

Well said, just busting your nuts. Saturday morning will be fun either way. 

3 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

Why cant you wait till Saturday ? I thought you wanted a team from the North to win ?? And yes Carroll took Penn behind the woodshed . Who was your school again ??? LOL

What I want to happen and what I think will happen are two different things.

I am one of the few on here who has no iron in the fire so I don’t pick games with my heart.

My school is irrelevant but I CAN tell you one thing.  If I were asked to pick a school (my alma mater for example), I can boast that they are undefeated against Penn.

Can any other school in Indiana make that claim?

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Agree.

Well said, just busting your nuts. Saturday morning will be fun either way. 

Oh I know.  Love the banter back and forth with you man.

Go Chargers!

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Come on.

True story. The only reason I cited Carroll, Cathedral, Penn, and Homestead is because Indy posters do it all the time. At the end of the day, I agree with Footballking. Well, not exactly, he said "absolute terrible." I wouldn't go that far. But I get his point. 

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

What I want to happen and what I think will happen are two different things.

I am one of the few on here who has no iron in the fire so I don’t pick games with my heart.

My school is irrelevant but I CAN tell you one thing.  If I were asked to pick a school (my alma mater for example), I can boast that they are undefeated against Penn.

Oh I know.  Love the banter back and forth with you man.

Go Chargers!

Amen brother. I like HSE by 11. If they win by 3 touchdowns, I'm buying Footballking a steak dinner in Indy.............not St. Elmo's or Ruth Chris. Maybe he'll chime in and offer me one if Carroll covers the spread. 

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

True story. The only reason I cited Carroll, Cathedral, Penn, and Homestead is because Indy posters do it all the time. At the end of the day, I agree with Footballking. Well, not exactly, he said "absolute terrible." I wouldn't go that far. But I get his point. 

I have very little doubt in my mind that Cathedral would name the score if they played Penn again. They were out a couple starters including two D1 kids and still won by 2 scores. 

I have very little doubt in my mind that Cathedral would name the score if they played Penn again. They were out a couple starters including two D1 kids and still won by 2 scores. 

And Carroll was without their top defender for the Jeff game. 

Snider was without 5 starters when Cathedral beat them 39-31 in 2011. 

We could do this all day. Is any team ever 100% healthy? I don't see two Cathedral starters making that big of a difference. Aren't they deeper than that?

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

And Carroll was without their top defender for the Jeff game. 

Snider was without 5 starters when Cathedral beat them 39-31 in 2011. 

We could do this all day. Is any team ever 100% healthy? I don't see two Cathedral starters making that big of a difference. Aren't they deeper than that?

Can’t believe I am about to say this, but no…a 4A school does not get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to depth…especially when playing against a school 4 times it’s size.

Now that I’ve defended Cathedral, I am going to take a shower.

2 minutes ago, BTF said:

Point being Cathedral still won by 2 scores. Measuring final scores 2 months apart between common opponents is a terrible way to compare teams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Can’t believe I am about to say this, but no…a 4A school does not get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to depth…especially when playing against a school 4 times it’s size.

Now that I’ve defended Cathedral, I am going to take a shower.

You're also the same guy who agreed with me that Cathedral can't play the small school card a few months back. They have no boundaries. They don't even have a feeder system. I respect the Irish, but I don't want to here that poor Cathedral is just a 4a school. 

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Point being Cathedral still won by 2 scores. Measuring final scores 2 months apart between common opponents is a terrible way to compare teams. 

I don't necessarily disagree. But in some cases, it's all you have. Unless you want to go by Sagarin. In that case, HSE is a 10 point favorite over Carroll. What about that steak dinner?

I don't know about naming their score, but I'd give them 28. Maybe that's splitting hairs. The thing about Penn is it is (almost) always about how long can the defense hold up.

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

That's a real short list; Warren Central, Cathedral, Homestead are the only ones that come to mind.

Travel is something for coaches to manage whether it's across town or across the state. I don't really buy into it having measurable adverse effects so long as it's managed appropriately. 

I suppose you could cram onto a short bus with all the gear and take a three hour trip, but I don't think that's really what we're talking about here. 

Not sure travel has had much to with my Flying Jets struggles. We are what 2-12 and hopefully can make it 3-12 Friday night or we can be 2-13. Ran into some Pioneer, LCC, & Sheridan buzzsaws before to name a few.

7 minutes ago, BTF said:

You're also the same guy who agreed with me that Cathedral can't play the small school card a few months back. They have no boundaries. They don't even have a feeder system. I respect the Irish, but I don't want to here that poor Cathedral is just a 4a school. 

No one in Indy does.  Warren’s QB in the tournament played three years at Beech Grove…BD’s QB is from Brownsburg, Roncalli’s QB from Plainfield.

I could go on all day.  The recruiting argument is as irrelevant as it’s ever been.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

Just now, temptation said:

No one in Indy does.  Warren’s QB in the tournament played three years at Beecg Grove’s…BD’s QB is from Brownsburg, Roncalli’s QB from Plainfield.

I could go on all day.  The recruiting argument is as irrelevant as it’s ever been.

BUT.......................4a isn't Cathedral's rightful home. You, me, and Footballking can agree to that. 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

BUT.......................4a isn't Cathedral's rightful home. You, me, and Footballking can agree to that. 

I think I agree but it doesn’t have as much to do with “recruiting” as it once did.

Don’t wanna go down the rabbit hole and piss @Footballking16 off though so I’ll save it for the offseason.

8 minutes ago, BTF said:

I don't necessarily disagree. But in some cases, it's all you have. Unless you want to go by Sagarin. In that case, HSE is a 10 point favorite over Carroll. What about that steak dinner?

Right after he pays me off for OSU -20.5.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

I think I agree but it doesn’t have as much to do with “recruiting” as it once did.

Recruiting used to piss me off. But I've changed my stance on that. If a coaching staff is good enough to get a kid outside of their district to come play for them, then kudos to them. Cathedral is arguably (many schools could make that claim) the best program in the state of Indiana. If recruiting is part of that equation, so be it. I just don't think it should be in 4a. 

Just now, temptation said:

Don’t wanna go down the rabbit hole and piss @Footballking16 off though so I’ll save it for the offseason.

They are a 4A enrollment school who hasn't played in their technical classification in over a decade and don't see it happening anytime soon. I don't really think anyone looks at Cathedral as a 4A school (in terms of football) as they haven't played in a 4A tournament in years. 

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure travel has had much to with my Flying Jets struggles. We are what 2-12 and hopefully can make it 3-12 Friday night or we can be 2-13. Ran into some Pioneer, LCC, & Sheridan buzzsaws before to name a few.

That'll wear you down more than any mileage can.