Sign in to follow this  
GB4

Rams Moving?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000454436/article/st-louis-rams-owner-plans-to-build-stadium-in-la

Is this announcement to put pressure on the city of St. Louis? Is it a move to undercut the planned proposal that will go before the St. Louis board on Friday? Or is it legitimate? If it is legitimate what does that mean for the team next year? Because the NFL said no team will be relocating in 2015.

GB

Edited by GB4

looks that way....St. Louis says they want to keep the Rams, but mayors office states they won't get in a bidding war with LA

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12127153/civic-leaders-get-bidding-war-los-angeles-st-louis-rams

I guess LA has both San Diego and Oakland interested in relocating as well.

I assume that would mean they would need to build at least 2 stadiums, if all 3 were to relocate to L.A.

GB

Or perhaps the Rams announced it because they didn't want to be the team left out.

GB

The Rams going back home wouldn't be a bad thing.

The Rams going back home wouldn't be a bad thing.

Does Cleveland need another team?

Does Cleveland need another team?

Ahh, good point. The history of the Rams originating in Cleveland is well before my time. I grew up with the Rams being in L.A.

Edited by Muda69

The Dude wouldn't say it's official.  But it's looking that way.  The Rams aren't in LA now and the fan base in the LA is split into three teams as TD mentioned in post #2.  If the Dude had to guess, the Chargers might have the most solid case to relocate.  Due to "The Murph" being a crappy stadium along with them not being able to sell out the home games with their own fans.  If you watch a home Chargers game you'll notice a crap ton of visitor fans sitting in lower level seats.  If some how the city of SD builds a new stadium then the Rams are probably a 'sure thing' to be in LA.  But if the city of SD doesn't build then there might be a bidding war and the Dude likes the Chargers' chances.  In fact, the Dude wouldn't be surprised if two teams relocate to LA when it's all said and done.

The "City of Champions" is a great idea and will probably attract other major events but that isn't official either because there's talk from other billionaires about building a stadium downtown LA by Staples Center.  There's a lot moving pieces and it's just now starting to get interesting.  What Kreonke has going for him is, one, he's an NFL owner and two, the NFL Network might get his backing.  The network would relocate from Culver City to the City of Inglewood.  It just makes since.

The Dude wouldn't say it's official.  But it's looking that way.  The Rams aren't in LA now and the fan base in the LA is split into three teams as TD mentioned in post #2.  If the Dude had to guess, the Chargers might have the most solid case to relocate.  Due to "The Murph" being a crappy stadium along with them not being able to sell out the home games with their own fans.  If you watch a home Chargers game you'll notice a crap ton of visitor fans sitting in lower level seats.  If some how the city of SD builds a new stadium then the Rams are probably a 'sure thing' to be in LA.  But if the city of SD doesn't build then there might be a bidding war and the Dude likes the Chargers' chances.  In fact, the Dude wouldn't be surprised if two teams relocate to LA when it's all said and done.

The "City of Champions" is a great idea and will probably attract other major events but that isn't official either because there's talk from other billionaires about building a stadium downtown LA by Staples Center.  There's a lot moving pieces and it's just now starting to get interesting.  What Kreonke has going for him is, one, he's an NFL owner and two, the NFL Network might get his backing.  The network would relocate from Culver City to the City of Inglewood.  It just makes since.

Makes sense....I guess all 3 stadiums (San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis) are not in good shape and not good for football.  I think they all have short-term leases..maybe even year to year now.  This will be interesting watch, and you're right...could be 2 teams moving to the area...although that wasn't so successful a few years ago.

I don't know if anyone watched San Diego home games, but, there was definitely more away team fans there every game. I believe San Diego is committed to at least one more year in SD.

GB

I don't know if anyone watched San Diego home games, but, there was definitely more away team fans there every game. I believe San Diego is committed to at least one more year in SD.

GB

I know lots of people in western AZ who are big Chargers fans. If they move out of SD, their fan base would disappear.

I know lots of people in western AZ who are big Chargers fans. If they move out of SD, their fan base would disappear.

How so?  There's a fan base in LA for three different teams.  Actually, there's a fan base in the greater LA area for four teams.  Dallas being the fourth.

People in Yuma are closer to San Diego than Phoenix.

But how does that make a fan base disappear?

From what I have read there is a large Chargers following in LA.

GB

Maybe it is enough that 9 other owners wouldn't vote for the relocation.

GB

Time to weigh in.....YG Style...

My Rams are gone from the Gateway City.  

No way I can see them staying at this point.  So once again, the "Loo" gets fleeced by an owner only worried about the bottom line, and no civic pride whatsoever.   1987 (Cardinals) is the same as 2015 (Rams) ...Same as it ever was.  Losing football, no need to commit to improvement, then blaming it on the fans for not willing to point up tax money to build a publicly funded stadium....2 facilities in 20 years...SERIOUSLY?  

Now what? Honestly who do you pull for know?

I don't know who I would pull for "know"...  But in the future, I will just watch the games that are the 'tube' and look for decent matchups. 

The NFL has shown to Saint Louis, that they really only view this locale as a 'bargaining chip' and have no loyalty whatsoever to them.  They should have gotten the Jacksonville franchise in 1995 and therby avoided this entire situation...."Sweetness" Payton was a part of that investment group. 

But of course, they screwed that up.  And the intial group had the ultimate prize - exclusive rights to the Dome's tenancy.  It fell through at the last minute due to infighing within the investment group.  Then James Busch Orthwein (an AB heir) wouldn't pull the trigger on moving the Patriots to STL.  He sold them to Victor Kiam (then Kiam eventually sold them to Robert Kraft). 

I just don't see the NFL ever coming back to STL when the Rams relocate. 

And like many areas of fiscally-conservative thinking, I don't see the STL metro area ponying up anything else for a stadium in the near future.  Even though the actual cost for the new stadium would average about the cost of a McDonald's Big Mac meal ($6) for each MO citizen.