Sign in to follow this  
GB4

Rams Moving?

Folks, LA has an established fan base for both franchises.  Tickets will sell and new generations will become fans.  It'll take another 20+ years for either franchise to leave LA.  Supply and demand is what it is.

Folks, LA has an established fan base for both franchises.  Tickets will sell and new generations will become fans.  It'll take another 20+ years for either franchise to leave LA.  Supply and demand is what it is.

I don't disagree.....I was thinking many years out....but they did lose both franchises before....and as you know, lots of other options to pursue in this area of the country, and they have demand for many other things as well.  But I concur they have the numbers to support it...especially over the next decade....until the newness wears off......

I still wonder if San Diego will remain at home.....would seem very strange to have the Bolts leave SD.

I think the Chargers will leave. It's just going to take a little while for Spanos to re-figure the financial end of it as a tenant in the Rams' new stadium, rather than an owner of his own new stadium.

I think the Chargers will leave. It's just going to take a little while for Spanos to re-figure the financial end of it as a tenant in the Rams' new stadium, rather than an owner of his own new stadium.

You're probably right....follow the same path as the Clippers.....but the Chargers really seemed to be part of the fabric of the city.....

But, I'm sure other cities that lost their teams have said the very same.  

I lived in the Cleveland area during the Browns' glory years, and still remember watching the 1964 championship win against the Colts. When Modell moved them to Baltimore I was absolutely floored. Never for a moment did I think that could ever happen to that franchise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's my initial response.  Perhaps I don't understand the "magnitude" of the situation.  I beg to differ though, as a fan I have paid the utmost attention to all that surrounds the decision as well as Goodell, Enos Stanley Kroenke and Jura Jones' pushing for this outcome.....

If you take the time to actually research the entire situation, you'd find that the FIX WAS IN from the beginning by Goodell.   But why do that?  Let's just give stucking Fran the benefit of the doubt that he played by the rules.   

I have issues with magnitude.....   

EDIT:  and BTW: Mark Cuban was correct about the NFl.   

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Upvote 1

We also have this little nugget: St. Louis Taxpayers Aren't Finished Paying For The Stadium The Rams Abandoned - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rams-los-angeles-st-louis-taxpayers_5696955ee4b0778f46f7c330

The St. Louis Rams' decision to relocate to Los Angeles brought a double dose of bad news for the city's residents on Tuesday: Not only are they losing the football team they've hosted for the last 21 years, they also still have to pay for the stadium they built to lure the Rams to their hometown in the first place.

At the beginning of 2015, city and state taxpayers still owed more than $100 million in debt on the bonds used to finance the Edward Jones Dome, the stadium St. Louis put $280 million in public funds behind in 1995.

It isn't scheduled to pay off that debt until at least 2021, and that could be more difficult without the Rams and the $500,000 rent payment the team made each year. The city itself owes $5 million per year over that period, and the loss of the Rams could increase costs in the short-term.

• Upvote 1

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-rams-wont-get-as-much-from-la-as-the-lakers-and-dodgers-do/

So Kroenke gains little in the way of media money by uprooting the Rams, and the benefits to the gate are far from certain once we look to LA’s not-that-distant history as a football town. What then does he gain by fistfighting St. Louis and burning every bridge on his way out of Missouri? One way to make sense of this is to look away from league revenue or fan interest and shift our attention downward, to Stan Kroenke’s pockets. Holy Cross economics professor Victor Matheson told the International Business Times that economists generally expect the Rams’ valuation to rise by at least $500 million with the move to LA.

It's just business. As it would be just business if Mr. Irsay thought he could move the Colts to Bismark, North Dakota and make the same or more money due to the NFL's revenue sharing from TV contracts.

The Chargers are staying in San Diego for at least one more season.

GB

Edited by GB4

Rams Stiff St. Louis, Leave City with $144 Million Bill: http://reason.com/blog/2016/02/07/rams-stiff-st-louis-leave-city-with-144

St. Louis residents no longer have a football team, but that doesn’t mean they will get to stop paying for one. While the Rams won a vote in mid-January to relocate to Los Angeles, St. Louis taxpayers will still be responsible for making $144 million in debt and maintenance payments for the Edward Jones Dome.

Lewis Reed, the St. Louis Board of Alderman president, has asked the NFL for money to help pay off the debt, but he seems unaware of how the multi-billion dollar league operates.

As Reason has reported in the past, stadium financing is one way the NFL holds cities hostage—either pay for a state-of-the-art facility or lose the prestige of having a professional football team. This has resulted in often lopsided stadium deals that leave cities (and their taxpayers) burdened with much of the debt.

Here's a pretty good synopsis of the "Jerry Jones/Stan Kroenke/New NFL Money Owners" led exodus to LA.

I am not in any way saying that STL is not to blame with their disgusting lease agreement on the Edward Jones Dome, but the FIX WAS IN from Day one, and the NFL (Goodell/Grubman) knew it all the time...watch out if you think YOUR team is really in it for the "fans"... It's all about the MONEY!   

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Here's a pretty good synopsis of the "Jerry Jones/Stan Kroenke/New NFL Money Owners" led exodus to LA.

I am not in any way saying that STL is not to blame with their disgusting lease agreement on the Edward Jones Dome, but the FIX WAS IN from Day one, and the NFL (Goodell/Grubman) knew it all the time...watch out if you think YOUR team is really in it for the "fans"... It's all about the MONEY!   

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

Why does everyone say "it's all about the money" like that's a surprise -or wrong? These guys own businesses. The purpose of the business is to make money for the business owners. That's sort of the definition of business, after all.

Why does everyone say "it's all about the money" like that's a surprise -or wrong? These guys own businesses. The purpose of the business is to make money for the business owners. That's sort of the definition of business, after all.

Since I work for the North American leader in GeoThermal manufacturing.  I guess I ought to be ECSTATIC that UTEC (Carrier) is moving 700 jobs from Huntington and another 1400 from Indianapolis to Mexico to 'further their business'.  

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/watch-1-400-people-learn-030718813.html

My stock portfolio should blow-up when the orders start rolling in from UTEC (Carrier) now that they solved their issues.

After all as you said......"The purpose of the business is to make money for the business owners. That's sort of the definition of business, after all."

Edited by Yuccaguy

Since I work for the North American leader in GeoThermal manufacturing.  I guess I ought to be ECSTATIC that UTEC (Carrier) is moving 700 jobs from Huntington and another 1400 from Indianapolis to Mexico to 'further their business'.  

My stock portfolio should blow-up when the orders start rolling in from UTEC (Carrier) now that they solved their issues.

After all as you said......"The purpose of the business is to make money for the business owners. That's sort of the definition of business, after all."

Exactly.

Have your Company buy some banding machines. Take up the void Carrier will create for my business also.

The hopes you will still continue to watch NFL games.  Maybe STL will get a team down south and end up playing the Colts twice a year!  Who knows, right?

I guess "CIVIC PRIDE" exists in some places.....Far beyond the greed that the NFL has put forth.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14745874

Have your Company buy some banding machines. Take up the void Carrier will create for my business also.

Carrier (UTEC) is a big customer of ours.  We'll be just fine.  

As for the 2100 employees/families/jobs that Indiana is losing, that is my #1 concern.   

• Upvote 1

I would have bet anything - couldn't resist that - the NFL would be willing to put a franchise in Vegas right after the Pope moved the Vatican to Sodom. But I guess the lure of a free stadium is too much to resist.

It is a official the San Diego Chargers will become the Los Angeles Chargers (For now) and will debut a new logo today at some time. They will play in the Stub Hub Center which seats 27,000. Call me crazy but I would think the NFL wpull have at problem with that.

GB 

Uhhhhh...The new logo I guess...

GB 

IMG_20170112_113137.jpg

5 hours ago, GB4 said:

It is a official the San Diego Chargers will become the Los Angeles Chargers (For now) and will debut a new logo today at some time. They will play in the Stub Hub Center which seats 27,000. Call me crazy but I would think the NFL wpull have at problem with that.

GB 

Such BS. The reason they are moving is that a business entity worth nearly 1 billion wanted the taxpayers to build them a new home, and the taxpayers refused.  

• Upvote 1