Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Promising Young (under 35) Assistant Coaches

4 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Interested in what criteria people used or would use to nominate an individual,

These would be mine re: McKee:  Knowledge and understanding of the sport.  Efficient communicator.  Regard for, patience with, and supportive of, athletes of all abilities.  Desire to improve.  Willingness to learn.  

I'm sure many/most nominated would share those attributes, among others.

6 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Under no circumstances, could their actions be considered to be that of a "Bro Coach."  (Wasn't that a issue on here many moons ago?)

I don't have any names to add, but as someone who has followed the state of education and athletics in Indiana, I am a little worried about the future of the coaching profession.  Not trying to derail the conversation, as I recognize some of the names already mentioned and they are deserving.  Just making a general observation. 

15 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Under no circumstances, could their actions be considered to be that of a "Bro Coach."  (Wasn't that a issue on here many moons ago?)

Sean McVay, IMO, is the epitome of a "Bro Coach"... and he seems to be doing ok. 😉 That said, I struggle not to roll my eyes when he streaks down the sideline to celebrate with his players in the endzone.  I'm more of a happy medium kinda guy, myself.  You know, somewhere between the arms crossed perpetual scowl of Landry and the cartwheeling sideshow of McVay. 😁

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Follow up to this… 15 years down the road… what criteria is used to evaluate whether or not we were right about these guys?

answer: Ws

the criteria used to evaluate a potential coach should be directly related to their ability to produce Ws.

imo:

ability to communicate and build relationships with kids. parents and coaches is the most important characteristic.  

Much more about Jimmys and Joe’s than Xs and Os.

I do not necessarily have "first-hand" knowledge, but from my observations, Michael Curtis (Bart's son) is an excellent assistant coach for the Tigers. He has a great relationship with the kids and him being at Warsaw is part of what I believe pulled Bart to apply for the position when it came open. This is truly my own opinion, but it would not surprise me if/when Bart decides to retire, the reigns get moved to Michael if he wants it. Or he could very well get a head coaching position outside of Warsaw if the right opportunity presents itself, but again just from my observations, I would expect Michael to stick around Lake City for awhile.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

On 2/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I do not necessarily have "first-hand" knowledge, but from my observations, Michael Curtis (Bart's son) is an excellent assistant coach for the Tigers. He has a great relationship with the kids and him being at Warsaw is part of what I believe pulled Bart to apply for the position when it came open. This is truly my own opinion, but it would not surprise me if/when Bart decides to retire, the reigns get moved to Michael if he wants it. Or he could very well get a head coaching position outside of Warsaw if the right opportunity presents itself, but again just from my observations, I would expect Michael to stick around Lake City for awhile.

Agreed. 

On 2/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, RetiredCoach91 said:

A comment in another thread led me to this thought. Thought other readers may be interested as well. Who are some of the promising young (under 35) assistant coaches and coordinators that we could see as Head Coaches in the next 5-7 years? 

Check out Hoosier Highschool Football interview with Scottsburg Offensive Coordinator Nicholas Cotner.

Impressive young man!

https://www.facebook.com/Hoosier-High-School-Football-107360041590757/

HHFLogo.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Kyle Richards - Defensive Coordinator @ Wes-Del High School 

Coach Richards is a little older than 35 but still a promising young assistant coach who deserves to be mentioned. Coach Richards has a strong desire to become a head coach in the near future and will do a great job!

• Like 2