Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wrestling Question for the Board

Wrestling right now is being treated as a joke by the IHSAA. Right now on Indianamat, we are discussing how differently coaches are treated come state time. Our wrestling team come sectional time only allowed three coaches, and myself as a volunteer assistant had to pay my way in. Surely this doesn’t happen for football or basketball, and all the coaches get in? And now they are only allowing two coaches per three kids in the finals.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

Wrestling right now is being treated as a joke by the IHSAA. Right now on Indianamat, we are discussing how differently coaches are treated come state time. Our wrestling team come sectional time only allowed three coaches, and myself as a volunteer assistant had to pay my way in. Surely this doesn’t happen for football or basketball, and all the coaches get in? And now they are only allowing two coaches per three kids in the finals.

I just heard that this morning. I don't get it. It's the same person in charge of both, right? Faulkens? But yeah, no limit to coaches allowed in other sports. To make it worse, in the same venue, basketball has no limit. 

1 hour ago, Thor77 said:

In football there are rules that are written and rules that are enforced.  They usually aren't the same.  But the state finals rules for football were very strict and enforced.  

1 hour ago, Grover said:

In football there are rules that are written and rules that are enforced.  They usually aren't the same.  But the state finals rules for football were very strict and enforced.  

Were football coaches denied at state? Any of them have to pay for a ticket? I wonder if they make the jv kids pay because they’re spectating on the sidelines? 

So if you only get 2 coaches for every 3 wrestlers, that would be the same as 60 coaches for a football team of 90 players.  Let's say you're at a 1A school and only have 15 players on your team, then you can have 10 coaches?  I have been coaching wrestling for over 30 years and it has always been 2 coaches and a manager gets passes for the state finals.

I agree with @Grover

I don't know about all sports, but when I was a player I know the state finals for football was very strict. You had to have a pass or be on the team roster to be on the sidelines.  Ball boys/girls, trainers, and administrators all had to have passes.  

In track, unless your representative was thrower, you have to stay in the stands.  I always have watched my student-athletes from the stands, even in the long jump and high jump.

1 hour ago, Coach_K said:

I agree with @Grover

I don't know about all sports, but when I was a player I know the state finals for football was very strict. You had to have a pass or be on the team roster to be on the sidelines.  Ball boys/girls, trainers, and administrators all had to have passes.  

In track, unless your representative was thrower, you have to stay in the stands.  I always have watched my student-athletes from the stands, even in the long jump and high jump.

But did you have to pay to get in to sectional to coach your thrower? I understand not getting to get to hang out in the high traffic areas at state, but did they make you pay to coach at early stages of the tournament? 

1 minute ago, Thor77 said:

But did you have to pay to get in to sectional to coach your thrower? I understand not getting to get to hang out in the high traffic areas at state, but did they make you pay to coach at early stages of the tournament? 

Wouldn't your school's athletic department pick up your ticket?

1 hour ago, Julio said:

So if you only get 2 coaches for every 3 wrestlers, that would be the same as 60 coaches for a football team of 90 players.  Let's say you're at a 1A school and only have 15 players on your team, then you can have 10 coaches?  I have been coaching wrestling for over 30 years and it has always been 2 coaches and a manager gets passes for the state finals.

First, let’s be real there are 15-20 man staffs where they coach max 25-30 kids. But my main point here, is how many of those coaches that out time, effort and energy into those kids had to pay to get in to sectional. Sectional has 14 wrestlers and they only allow 2 coaches in free. Why is that? What’s the difference between sectional football and sectional wrestling?

8 minutes ago, DE said:

Wouldn't your school's athletic department pick up your ticket?

I think so, but either way why is the coach/school getting charged to coach their kids? I keep coming back to what’s the difference between these sports? 

2 hours ago, Thor77 said:

Were football coaches denied at state? Any of them have to pay for a ticket? I wonder if they make the jv kids pay because they’re spectating on the sidelines? 

I'm aware of at least one instance of a coach not making the cut for state because teams get limited passes.  He had to buy a ticket and sit in the stands.  That also happens to support staff but that's not as big of a deal.  JV kids have to buy their own tickets and sit in the stands thanks to the ridiculous IHSAA rules.

7 minutes ago, Grover said:

I'm aware of at least one instance of a coach not making the cut for state because teams get limited passes.  He had to buy a ticket and sit in the stands.  That also happens to support staff but that's not as big of a deal.  JV kids have to buy their own tickets and sit in the stands thanks to the ridiculous IHSAA rules.

Ok, we’ll at least there’s some common ground. I might be stretching a little thin, cause in my head I’m comparing Crown Point for wrestling to South Adams for football. SA didn’t have enough people on the field to meet the limits a Center Grove would. But even then, that’s still dumb. If you absolutely need to restrict the sideline numbers, the least you could do is spot tickets for the kids that have to be in the stands. 

30 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

First, let’s be real there are 15-20 man staffs where they coach max 25-30 kids. But my main point here, is how many of those coaches that out time, effort and energy into those kids had to pay to get in to sectional. Sectional has 14 wrestlers and they only allow 2 coaches in free. Why is that? What’s the difference between sectional football and sectional wrestling?

I think so, but either way why is the coach/school getting charged to coach their kids? I keep coming back to what’s the difference between these sports? 

Fair questions.  Thank you.

Should it be a coach allowed at every weight mat?

9 minutes ago, DE said:

Fair questions.  Thank you.

Should it be a coach allowed at every weight mat?

I would say you should have enough coaches to cover all 3 or 4 mats in case you have a wrestler on every single one of them. Like you don’t need 15 like Brownsburg does, but SA we have 6 for 14 varsity guys and we’re all always running around at tournaments. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Thor77 said:

Ok, we’ll at least there’s some common ground. I might be stretching a little thin, cause in my head I’m comparing Crown Point for wrestling to South Adams for football. SA didn’t have enough people on the field to meet the limits a Center Grove would. But even then, that’s still dumb. If you absolutely need to restrict the sideline numbers, the least you could do is spot tickets for the kids that have to be in the stands. 

I won't get started but suffice to say I agree.

• Like 1

The IHSAA should give out 3 coaches passes if you have less than 4 wrestlers.  1 coach per kid is good enough.  If you have 4 or more you should get 5 passes, 1 in each corner and another to be in the warm up area to get the others ready.  I don't like the idea of wristbands, need to let the coaches be able to exchange for different weight classes.

• Like 2

I know for the Mooresville Sectional. During the seeding meeting. Mooresville's AD stated. If you want your coach to get in, they have to arrive with the team. If they do not arrive with the team, they have to pay. No number was stated as to how many, at least at Mooresville. I would assume the same was true for Regional as well.

8 minutes ago, WCGrad92 said:

I know for the Mooresville Sectional. During the seeding meeting. Mooresville's AD stated. If you want your coach to get in, they have to arrive with the team. If they do not arrive with the team, they have to pay. No number was stated as to how many, at least at Mooresville. I would assume the same was true for Regional as well.

I arrived with the full team, coaches and managers to sectional. They did a head count and proceeded to have us pay after that. 

@Thor77 you know my stance from Indianamat about my displeasure with the IHSAA as well as the OHSAA. I think the national governing body NFHS needs revamped as well. The biggest problem is not working well enough with the coaches associations of each sport.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, Thor77 said:

On 2/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, Thor77 said:

I would say you should have enough coaches to cover all 3 or 4 mats in case you have a wrestler on every single one of them. Like you don’t need 15 like Brownsburg does, but SA we have 6 for 14 varsity guys and we’re all always running around at tournaments. 

I would say at most tournaments and sectional, regional and semi state this should be the case because teams do have more than one wrestler wrestling at the same time but at the state finals they do just one weight class at a time before progressing to next weight class so no need for a zillion caoches...