Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hammond Morton Vs Penn 2023 football season

6 hours ago, DE said:

How do they get away with that (not providing busses)?

Been that way since….. well I think always. Mishawaka and Speedway used to be the only schools without a school bus system. In Mishawaka there is a city bus service, Transpo, that kids could take but have to pay. No idea why it’s been this way but I know this guy walked to school 97% of the time from K-12, but luckily I was within walking distance. Has to be a pain for kids and parents who live further away. 

5 hours ago, HHF said:

High school football has changed over the past decade from when the team with the best "football players" won the championships.  Now, the team with the best "athletes" wins the championships.  Penn  does not have have great athletes.  Elkhart does.  And Elkhart will surpass Penn over the next 5 years.  Athletes are either born or they are made in the strength and conditioning room.  Many schools develop their own athletic talent through intense 7 on 7 type competition.  The game has passed this Penn coaching staff by in the rear view mirror.  Penn players rarely if ever show up in the Top 50 recruiting rankings in Indiana any more.  Hopefully Penn wont go thru the same bottoming out that Munster did when a coach stayed 10 years past his expiration date.  

And they get to wear those super cool padded beanies during AAU. I mean 7 on 7. 

6 hours ago, HHF said:

High school football has changed over the past decade from when the team with the best "football players" won the championships.  Now, the team with the best "athletes" wins the championships.  Penn  does not have have great athletes.  Elkhart does.  And Elkhart will surpass Penn over the next 5 years.  Athletes are either born or they are made in the strength and conditioning room.  Many schools develop their own athletic talent through intense 7 on 7 type competition.  The game has passed this Penn coaching staff by in the rear view mirror.  Penn players rarely if ever show up in the Top 50 recruiting rankings in Indiana any more.  Hopefully Penn wont go thru the same bottoming out that Munster did when a coach stayed 10 years past his expiration date.  

Talk to me more about this “intense 7 on 7 type competition.”

Is that really a factor?  One of the things I’m hearing is that the brainwashing of football players to be in the weight room or in offseason 7 on 7 camps/workouts is negatively impacting them playing other sports, particularly at the big school level.

Track > 7 on 7…it’s not a coincidence that Eric Moore has figured this out and both teams are tops in the state currently.

Edited by temptation

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

Is that really a factor?  One of the things I’m hearing is that the brainwashing of football players to be in the weight room or in offseason 7 on 7 camps/workouts is negatively impacting them playing other sports, particularly at the big school level.

Track > 7 on 7…it’s not a coincidence that Eric Moore has figured this out and both teams are tops in the state currently.

I dont think that there is any doubt that the intense focus on 7 on 7, especially at the smaller schools, has resulted in improved and accelerated athletic development.  More speed, more power, better jumping ability, vastly improved cardio performance, and all the natural benefits one gets from just running.  Ask Forest Gump about that one.  

Look at a small school like Covington who had the states leading passer this past season and a slew of receivers to catch the ball.  Those skills were honed in offseason drills and fine tuned to near perfection during the football season.  

1 hour ago, HHF said:

I dont think that there is any doubt that the intense focus on 7 on 7, especially at the smaller schools, has resulted in improved and accelerated athletic development.  More speed, more power, better jumping ability, vastly improved cardio performance, and all the natural benefits one gets from just running.  Ask Forest Gump about that one.  

Look at a small school like Covington who had the states leading passer this past season and a slew of receivers to catch the ball.  Those skills were honed in offseason drills and fine tuned to near perfection during the football season.  

I’ll politely disagree and wait on others to chime in.

1 hour ago, HHF said:

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ll politely disagree and wait on others to chime in.

Stats really only count, at best, past sectionals. 

On 2/17/2022 at 2:26 PM, Piratefan101 said:

I feel Penn is done for. They lost there pop Warner system most of those kids are being bussed to Mishawaka now

Fake news here, Penn kids are not changing schools to the Mishawaka school district. 

On 2/25/2022 at 10:14 PM, DE said:

How do they get away with that (not providing busses)?

School City of Mishawaka is a pretty confined school district. My wife is a teacher in SCM, elementary, middle school kids walk to the neighbor school, and high school will walk, take city bus, parents or drive themselves. 

They do have 6-8 buses for transpo of athletic teams and other school functions. 

Edited by psaboy
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, temptation said:

Track > 7 on 7…it’s not a coincidence that Eric Moore has figured this 

It's called year round training. Something Russ Isaacs started at Snider in the 90's. It works. 

Edited by BTF

On 2/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, temptation said:

I never compared 7 on 7 to track.  You did

I simply stated that 7 on 7 drills help to develop athletic talent.  

On 2/26/2022 at 2:15 AM, HHF said:

The other two football teams in Mishawaka have been pretty good the past few seasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crusty said:

The other two football teams in Mishawaka have been pretty good the past few seasons.

Yes, but are they elite.

The PP is close, not quite there yet.  

On 2/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

The Cathedral v Hammond Morton game is a 3 year contract. Irish traveling to Hammond next year. 

Unreal. 1 game into the 3 year contract was enough of a sample size to sever ties. Might as well save on gas, just send a JV bus up to 169th & Cline and have the Varsity stay home to keep preparing for LaSalle. I imagine LaSalle and fixing issues seen in tape will be the focus for Cathedral the week of the Morton game. 

On 2/26/2022 at 12:57 AM, waymobe said:

Penn still has over 800 kid classes and plenty of Rocket football players pouring into the feeder schools. Their parents,fans,faculty & administration still live off of the state championship caliber teams that Geesman had annually from late 70s to his retirement in 2002. They still think that Penn is on that level sadly. Those teams always overperformed and outcoached more talented teams to win those championships. Dont get me wrong, they had a few D1 kids on some of those teams but it was a system and a belief of success in that system (The Penn Way)that the kids bought into. The kids just arent buying/believing(take your pick) into the coaching philosophy from the current coaching staff who mostly played here under Geesman. Penn has not won a state championship in 22 years. People on here think it will never happen again because the 6A suburban Indy schools now go north in the tourney but Penn always had to go through Carmel and Ben Davis at some point. Geesman finally realized he had to upgrade the schedule and went out of state and scheduled Ben Davis in reg season so they could see the speed of the game difference from NIC to late round playoff competition. It paid off with competive games and state championships. Yeoman has tried that schedule upgrade formula. Penn even has more openings now than that 1 game vs Ben Davis or St. Ignatius thanks to the split divisions in the NIC. This should help the program catch up again to the 6A elite but the program just hasnt reponded to it like it did in the mid 90s. That Penn mystique when they hit the field and dominate your opponent confidence is gone now. Losing to 3A and 4A teams will do that to a HS kid's confidence wondering "how do we compete against the Indy schools"? Penn haters are loving this era and rightfully so. A program facelift needed. Baby steps are needed. 1st,Dominate in the NIC again. 2nd,Beat Duneland schools again. 3rd, Be competetive against 6A. 4th and finally, maybe compete for state. That is a long road to travel with a coach who is 60 now. Time will tell if "The Gold Rush" and "Wild Bunch" are just old glory day memories of years gone by.....

Great post. Goes without saying how much Penn has fallen that beating Duneland schools again is a step in the right direction. Penn is in the same boat as Lake Central to me. The enrollment and socioeconomic advantages are there. Just need something to spark a turnaround and create systemic change.

• Like 1