Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Travel rule and is this fair

Just now, Trojanmp52 said:

Over the weekend several  schools had there cheer teams travel down to Disney for a national competition.  How is this fair and equal that some can travel longer distance and  other can’t

It's not. Travel rule is one of the dumbest things the IHSAA has ever put in place.

3 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Over the weekend several  schools had there cheer teams travel down to Disney for a national competition.  How is this fair and equal that some can travel longer distance and  other can’t

Is there a difference in the travel rule for national competitions/appearances vs. seasonal games? 

Also, is it cheer or dance?  I know that, when my daughter was on the Jeff Dance Team, they traveled to Florida for Nationals.  Does dance fall under IHSAA?  Is cheer under IHSAA?  I didn't see it listed under sports for their site.

The band plays in the Rose Parade or the cheerleaders compete in Orlando but the football team can't go play in Pennsylvania.  That makes sense.

Band, cheer and dance differ only because the IHSAA doesn't sanction them.  It's time for the archaic rule of the IHSAA to be changed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I know this and so are other sports like boys volleyball and lacrosse.  But how it fair for some to be able to travel to such things and not others

IHSAA rules only apply to IHSAA sanctioned sports.  Is it fair?  No.  But it's also not fair that I'm overweight and losing my hair.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I can’t help but think this is somewhat inconsistent with many previous posts lamenting the lavish expenditure of resources “on a game played by children.” I think it’s great. But I’m surprised you do.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I can’t help but think this is somewhat inconsistent with many previous posts lamenting the lavish expenditure of resources “on a game played by children.” I think it’s great. But I’m surprised you do.

The trip was mostly likely paid for by rich Clinton County farmers, and maybe some fundraising by the cheerleaders themselves.  To my knowledge no taxpayer funds were spent on the boondoggle.  Do you have different information?

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

The trip was mostly likely paid for by rich Clinton County farmers, and maybe some fundraising by the cheerleaders themselves.  To my knowledge no taxpayer funds were spent on the boondoggle.  Do you have different information?

Playing Devil's advocate (my favorite) - do you have any information at all on it? You start your post with "the trip was MOST LIKELY" and include "maybe". So you are guessing just the same as anyone else here.

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I admit, I don’t follow the Clinton Central cheerleading program that closely.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Speech and debate programs travel all over the country for nationals. ROTC programs travel annually all over the country for nationals. Choirs and bands regularly go across several state lines. Publications, etc.

Cheerleading teams are not IHSAA programs, so it is fair in the sense that if the program is governed by the IHSAA that travel rules must be followed. It's the same as programs like La Lumiere who are not IHSAA members. The travel rules don't apply to them.

17 hours ago, Muda69 said:

So the congratulations were false?  You think it was a boondoggle?  Unsure.  Downvote.  I'm sure missing those tacos in Frankfort. 

Edited by Robert

20 hours ago, Grover said:

IHSAA rules only apply to IHSAA sanctioned sports.  Is it fair?  No.  But it's also not fair that I'm overweight and losing my hair.

extra insulation comes in handy during the winter months, and sexy guys like us don't lose hair....it just moves around to other parts of the body......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Grover said:

“Is taxation without representation fair? No. But it’s also not fair that I’m overweight and losing my hair.”

Apply this logic to almost anything and you see how completely ridiculous it is lol. I get you were joking, but governing bodies making ridiculous regulations should be challenged, even if it’s something as frivolous as high school sports. 

53 minutes ago, Robert said:

Do you think someone is going to tell us next that the IHSAA should only be for public schools?

That won't be me.  Membership in the IHSAA is completely voluntary the last time I checked.  But because it has a monopoly on the running of high school sports in this state many believe it is some kind of government organization.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

That won't be me.  Membership in the IHSAA is completely voluntary the last time I checked.  But because it has a monopoly on the running of high school sports in this state many believe it is some kind of government organization.

So your saying if certain schools wanted to form their own organization they could travel at will, hire and pay officials more, sanction their own tournament, define classes fairly, and everyone could be happy? AND the IHSAA would just disappear?

I make a motion we form the GIDHSAA and accomplish all the above. Do I hear a second?

@Bobref is hereby nominated as Director of Officiating

@DE and @temptation are in charge of determining class divisions

@JustRules will be in charge of travel limitations or lack thereof

@Muda69 is in charge of the entire boondoggle

@WWFan is in charge of enrolling member schools

The floor is now open for additional nominations. 

Where should we hold our first convention?

😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

35 minutes ago, SenatorFan said:

So your saying if certain schools wanted to form their own organization they could travel at will, hire and pay officials more, sanction their own tournament, define classes fairly, and everyone could be happy? AND the IHSAA would just disappear?

I make a motion we form the GIDHSAA and accomplish all the above. Do I hear a second?

😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

I'm opting out of this boondoggle.

1 hour ago, SenatorFan said:

😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

A couple observations

• I love the fact this new organization has a Director of Officiating - huge improvement!
  • I think the travel restriction should be at the school district level like all other high school activities; my job is done!
  • No way I would be a part of anything led by Muda so I resign

2 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

I'm in. I'll start my door to door sales pitch soon

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SenatorFan said:

😂🤷🏼‍♂️🤦

This.  Is.  AWESOME!

1 hour ago, JustRules said:

A couple observations

• I love the fact this new organization has a Director of Officiating - huge improvement!
  • I think the travel restriction should be at the school district level like all other high school activities; my job is done!
  • No way I would be a part of anything led by Muda so I resign

I disagree.  @Muda69would be the BEST boss.  I will gladly take your spot.