Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Michigan vs. Wisconsin

Irishman

I did not watch the game, but watched and listened to both coaches after the game. I really don’t buy Gard’s excuse for calling a time out. Ok, you lose possession. You are up 14; it would not have been a game changing turnover. Regardless of what happened on the court, in the handshake line, Howard tried to just walk past. He apparently said something along the lines of We will remember this next time. Nothing earth shattering in that comment. In that exchange, there is no question Gard was the aggressor. He had no business grabbing Howard by the arm. If Gard does not grab him, nothing else happens. I am not excusing Howard for what he did after that, but everything I have seen is pointing the finger solely at Howard and not at all at Gard. 

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I did not watch the game, but watched and listened to both coaches after the game. I really don’t buy Gard’s excuse for calling a time out. Ok, you lose possession. You are up 14; it would not have been a game changing turnover. Regardless of what happened on the court, in the handshake line, Howard tried to just walk past. He apparently said something along the lines of We will remember this next time. Nothing earth shattering in that comment. In that exchange, there is no question Gard was the aggressor. He had no business grabbing Howard by the arm. If Gard does not grab him, nothing else happens. I am not excusing Howard for what he did after that, but everything I have seen is pointing the finger solely at Howard and not at all at Gard. 

First I am hearing of this. Was this yesterday?  

Who called the TO?  A player “tied up” or Gard?  To me, I think so much of that process is just “muscle memory” and folks get upset.  

Saw one the other day in a HS game where a kid dives for the ball. Gets it. Calls TO and their team didn’t have any TO’s remaining. Which hurt them bc the refs T’ed them up giving the other team 2 shots and the ball. They made 1-2 and made a 2 point bucket. 3 point swing. The other team lost by 7. 

From my view of the video, I think calling Gard the “aggressor” is a bit overstated. Can you be an aggressor without being aggressive? Because I don’t see anything aggressive about Gard trying to get Howard to pause in the line so he could explain himself, after Howard obviously expressed his displeasure. To me, he was trying to defuse the matter right there, rather than have it linger when these two met next. And to those who say he shouldn’t have put a hand on Howard, OK, I get that. But it’s weak, IMO, for a grown man to take the sort of offense Howard did.

Yet another example of why the forced post-game handshake line ought to be abolished.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Gard had his back up players in late. They had 4 seconds to cross half court. He did not think they would make it, so he called the TO. That was Gard’s explanation. Michigan was pressing, but that is not an unusual thing to see at all. 

Thank you.  Calling a TO in that situation is not unusual either.

56 minutes ago, Bobref said:

From my view of the video, I think calling Gard the “aggressor” is a bit overstated. Can you be an aggressor without being aggressive? Because I don’t see anything aggressive about Gard trying to get Howard to pause in the line so he could explain himself, after Howard obviously expressed his displeasure. To me, he was trying to defuse the matter right there, rather than have it linger when these two met next. And to those who say he shouldn’t have put a hand on Howard, OK, I get that. But it’s weak, IMO, for a grown man to take the sort of offense Howard did.

Yet another example of why the forced post-game handshake line ought to be abolished.

Utilize something along the lines of how pro football does it?

I think the "emotion" and "passion" argument we here over and over about why people act the way they do, is weak too.

52 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Far preferable to the artificial compelled sportsmanship we currently have.

I would simply like class, sportsmanship, and respect (among others) to be displayed in the post game, hand shake line.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, Irishman said:

Michigan was pressing, but that is not an unusual thing to see at all. 

UM was down 15 points with 15 seconds left in the game.  Pressing wasn't going to win them the game.   That what makes it a bit unusual, if not a bit  asshole-ish, move by Mr. Howard to me.

24 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

UM was down 15 points with 15 seconds left in the game.  Pressing wasn't going to win them the game.   That what makes it a bit unusual, if not a bit  asshole-ish, move by Mr. Howard to me.

Not only that but Howard called a timeout with 55 sec left in the game vs IU up nearly 20 pts. 🤔.

IMG_1075.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, gonzoron said:

No action from the schools themselves?

Also official word was that the schools and Big 10 worked together to come up with punishment for both programs and Gard was not suspended a game just fined 10k . Also nothing for Krabbienholff who clearly instigated the situation needs to also be suspended it worse IMO , assistants should have 1 job in that situation is to protect the players clearly NOT what he was doing 

but of course the Big10 is a laughing stock in so many areas why not this too ? 

On 2/21/2022 at 10:07 AM, Bobref said:

Had me until the last line.

You don’t involve some thing that ofyou don’t abolish some thing that has been going on for decades due to an isolated incident like this one.

if you’re not man enough to get through the post game handshake line without incident, perhaps you’re in the wrong profession.

2 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

Not only that but Howard called a timeout with 55 sec left in the game vs IU up nearly 20 pts. 🤔.

IMG_1075.jpg

Needs context.  He called a TO to get his subs in.  Not nearly the same thing.

Also want it known that despite being a Michigan fan, I completely acknowledge Howard was in the wrong on this and as a leader of young men has to do better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, temptation said:

Had me until the last line.

You don’t involve some thing that ofyou don’t abolish some thing that has been going on for decades due to an isolated incident like this one.

if you’re not man enough to get through the post game handshake line without incident, perhaps you’re in the wrong profession.

I wouldn’t abolish the handshake line because of incidents like this one (even though there have been many - just go to YouTube and search “handshake line incidents”). I’d abolish it because, as @Muda69 says, “No action can be virtuous unless it is freely chosen.”

I guess you’re advocating a career change for Coach Howard?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wouldn’t abolish the handshake line because of incidents like this one (even though there have been many - just go to YouTube and search “handshake line incidents”). I’d abolish it because, as @Muda69 says, “No action can be virtuous unless it is freely chosen.”

I guess you’re advocating a career change for Coach Howard?

I mean, once can be chalked up as a bad day, twice seems to be a pattern…