Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Are any wrestling state champs also football guys?

Marshall Fishback(Rochester)-285 Champ

Played 3 tech and Guard.  Marshall is a great kid.  Some of his football honors are All-Conference 2 years.  IFCA Junior All-State and Region 4 All-star on OLine. Rtc4 first team Oline.  Did not make IFCA All-State this year because of the bs politics involved.  He is also a Track guy.  Near 50 ft in shot put and 140 in the disc.  

Only been wrestling for 3 years!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

More Footballers need to wrestle.

Always thought it was a good sport especially for youth players.  My linemen, in particular, got a better awareness of how to control their bodies and, even better, to be able to "feel" and understand body shift movements of an opponent.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Unpopular opinion....there are kids I simply don't want to lose a pound at any point in the year.

Works both ways some kids need to lose the bad weight, have seen kids gain confidence from losing bad weight and became better football players because of it. 

• Like 2

Why do some football coaches still think that you have to lose weight to wrestle.  As a wrestling coach and football coach, this is the one thing that drives me nuts about some football coaches.  With the weight management plan that is involved with high school wrestling, the days of not eating and wearing plastics are over.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Julio said:

Why do some football coaches still think that you have to lose weight to wrestle.  As a wrestling coach and football coach, this is the one thing that drives me nuts about some football coaches.  With the weight management plan that is involved with high school wrestling, the days of not eating and wearing plastics are over.  

I love this. But they "Can" be over and "should" be over. But are very much not over. 

17 minutes ago, Julio said:

You are sticking your head in the sand if you think that all programs are the same.  As in any system, the weight management plans that you are referring to get manipulated.  A kid that play football at 185 and wrestle at 170 is an example.  Does that fall under a weight management plan?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

You are sticking your head in the sand if you think that all programs are the same.  As in any system, the weight management plans that you are referring to get manipulated.  A kid that play football at 185 and wrestle at 170 is an example.  Does that fall under a weight management plan?

Especially when the football team needs him up to 200#.

• Like 1

You can play football at 185 and wrestle at 170 and still follow the weight management plan.  I am not talking about coaches that manipulate the system, I am talking about coaches that don't even let the kids go out for wrestling.  Like Titan32 said in his earlier post.  I have personally had kids that played football and gained weight during wrestling, because we lift during the season and make sure they are eating as well.  There is no excuse why football players should not wrestle. Period.

• Like 2

Not that simple.  The football coach is looking at what is best for the football team and the wrestling coach is looking at what is best for his wrestling team.  As it should be.  But they don't always share the same goals for the kids' weight.

1 hour ago, Julio said:

Kids are asked to lose weight every day in Indiana HS wrestling ....glad your program doesn't need to.

Edited by Titan32

32 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Kids are asked to lose weight every day in Indiana HS wrestling ....glad your program doesn't need to.

I would add that many kids lose the weight because they want to either for team needs or for potential better weight class for themselves. 

• Like 1

My opinion, popular or unpopular:  It comes down to a managing a coach's expectations of the athlete, and understanding/respecting/accommodating what the kid wants out of the sport he is coaching.  

If the kid prefers to prioritize football then he should be able to wrestle at whatever weight class he falls into at a respective time throughout the season.  This might mean he sits behind a better wrestler and only gets JV reps, or leaves a weight class empty, but if his goal is to use the skills he's learned wrestling to make him a better football player, mission accomplished.  A LOT of good wrestling reps come on the practice mat that can transition onto the gridiron, even if they don't see a lot of competition at meets, or if they are sitting at the lighter end of a weight class and wrestling up in competition.  The wrestling coach needs to respect and facilitate that decision since he is there to serve the needs of the kid, not vice-versa.  I'd hope/expect a wrestling coach would take on a football-focused player that wants to use wrestling to supplement his football skills without demanding the kid hold/lose weight to meet the coach's "needs" at a certain weight class.

On the other hand, if wrestling is his priority then I don't see anything wrong with preparing for football without seeking huge gains in the gym if his goal is to maintain a certain weight class for himself or the wrestling team.  There are positions all over the football field for a kid to play at any weight.  He may be down on the depth chart come Friday night, but if football isn't his primary focus and he's able to still contribute effectively running scout team for the 1's, then that should be respected by the football coach.  Again, the coach is there to serve the needs of the kid, not vice-versa.  And again, I'd hope/expect a football coach would take on a wrestling-focused player without demanding they gain a certain amount of weight to meet the coach's "needs" at a particular position.

Inevitably you have the athletes that want to be the best they can be at both sports.  That then comes down to managing each individual athlete's goals for both programs.  It certainly isn't simple, but there are plenty of examples out there that prove a kid can be an accomplished athlete at both football and wrestling.

3 hours ago, Julio said:

You can play football at 185 and wrestle at 170 and still follow the weight management plan.  I am not talking about coaches that manipulate the system, I am talking about coaches that don't even let the kids go out for wrestling.  Like Titan32 said in his earlier post.  I have personally had kids that played football and gained weight during wrestling, because we lift during the season and make sure they are eating as well.  There is no excuse why football players should not wrestle. Period.

No basketball?  No swimming?  Nothing?  Interesting.