Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Are any wrestling state champs also football guys?

2 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

you don't have to lose weight to wrestle...

Thanks Captain obvious...LOL.  All you have to do is read through this thread...there are several scenarios where a kid will want to or be asked to lose weight.  I mean, if you want that open varsity weight class right?  You can certainly "participate" in wrestling and not lose weight.

• Haha 1

2011 IC

Stevenson played fb around 210 and Reece around 200. In wrestling, Stevenson wrestled down at 189 where he was runner-up in sudden death when the son of IU wrestling coach escaped the hold, and Reece wrestled up at 215 where he was champion due to his quickness advantage despite giving up size. Reece pinned all four opponents at finals, also.

I have noticed in recent years that more athletes are discovering  that competing at a healthy weight is better than attempting to drain self in cutting too much, although there are freak athletes that can cut absurdly and still beat the crap out of you a day later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

2011 IC

Stevenson played fb around 210 and Reece around 200. In wrestling, Stevenson wrestled down at 189 where he was runner-up in sudden death when the son of IU wrestling coach escaped the hold, and Reece wrestled up at 215 where he was champion due to his quickness advantage despite giving up size. Reece pinned all four opponents at finals, also.

I have noticed in recent years that more athletes are discovering  that competing at a healthy weight is better than attempting to drain self in cutting too much, although there are freak athletes that can cut absurdly and still beat the crap out of you a day later.

Trey Reece was a very very very good wrestler. That is a tremendous example!

• Like 1

I'm sure it's been said previously in this thread - but people discouraging athletes from competing in other sports are just flat missing the boat, IMO. 

Did anyone actually answer the original question of this thread?? I believe someone said the HWT State Champ played football. Assuming the 220 did as well. I know the MD 170 played...not sure on the 195 (?) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Thanks Captain obvious...LOL.  All you have to do is read through this thread...there are several scenarios where a kid will want to or be asked to lose weight.  I mean, if you want that open varsity weight class right?  You can certainly "participate" in wrestling and not lose weight.

Well, you dont have to be smart ass...was just saying...I was just pointing out most probably dont have to lose much weight or none...

18 hours ago, ragdoll said:

2011 IC

NK heavyweight was around 230-240...went undefeated until second round of semistate...did not want to cut weight to wrestle at 220...

17 hours ago, jets said:

I'm sure it's been said previously in this thread - but people discouraging athletes from competing in other sports are just flat missing the boat, IMO. 

Did anyone actually answer the original question of this thread?? I believe someone said the HWT State Champ played football. Assuming the 220 did as well. I know the MD 170 played...not sure on the 195 (?) 

I think your assumption was wrong. The 220 did not play football to my knowledge at NP.  He is a Wrestler!  Already committed to  Penn I believe.  

18 hours ago, jets said:

MD's 170 or 195 did NOT play football in Fall 2021.  You can double check with the football state finals program. 

23 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

MD's 170 or 195 did NOT play football in Fall 2021.  You can double check with the football state finals program. 

Was watching the broadcast Saturday night and I thought they said he did, I must have heard wrong. 

On 2/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, jets said:

The MD 170 pound state champion hasn't played football since his freshman year and the MD 195 pound state champion never did play in high school. 

Cathedral's super sophomore wrestlers Jackson Weingart (most likely our beastly next up ILB) placed 7th and our incoming Jerome Bettis-esque RB Hosia Smith placed 5th. Cathedral has a long tradition of wrestlers playing football and it is highly encouraged. Multiple wrestling state champs that have played football for the Irish starting with Derrick Brownlow in 1986. He won the state in both sports that year. Matt Hasbrook was another. 3 rings for Irish football and 1 for Wrestling. 

We had 6 wrestlers win blue rings with the CHS football squad this season. 

Also, Brownsburg HS 3rd place finisher Leighton Jones was just offered by Purdue Football yesterday. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Cathedral's super sophomore wrestlers Jackson Weingart (most likely our beastly next up ILB) placed 7th and our incoming Jerome Bettis-esque RB Hosia Smith placed 5th. Cathedral has a long tradition of wrestlers playing football and it is highly encouraged. Multiple wrestling state champs that have played football for the Irish starting with Derrick Brownlow in 1986. He won the state in both sports that year. Matt Hasbrook was another. 3 rings for Irish football and 1 for Wrestling. 

We had 6 wrestlers win blue rings with the CHS football squad this season. 

Also, Brownsburg HS 3rd place finisher Leighton Jones was just offered by Purdue Football yesterday. 

He committed to Iowa over the weekend.