Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Was the Punishment Appropriate?? Sportmanship

Bash Riprock

While not football, it is still appropriate given the topics of sportsmanship, coaching and leadership.  Its been surprisingly quiet on this forum and couldn't help from wondering why.

Was the punishment handed down by The Big 10/University of Michigan appropriate in the Juwan Howard case?  5 games suspension without pay (remainder of the regular season) and a $40K fine.  3 players suspended for 1 game.  

Hearing some advocating the ceasing of the handshake line at the games end.  (I have to admit...I align with Tom Izzo's stance)

Thoughts??  

8 minutes ago, DE said:

It is being discussed in the Michigan vs. Wisconsin in the college basketball thread.

Sorry...I am not a member

I wasn't thinking this was tied to a single sport...but I am good if the moderators delete this thread.  I was wondering why it wasn't being discussed.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I wasn't thinking this was tied to a single sport...but I am good if the moderators delete this thread.  I was wondering why it wasn't being discussed.

Thanks

It's open to all GID members. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Thanks

Just a tip: I open the GID to the 'Activity' tab on my computer. That way it shows all recent activity in the threads in all Forums and public 'clubs'. On your phone, there is a 'page' button in the blue bar under the main header beside the '+' button. If you press that 'page' button, it will bring up the All Activity list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Thanks

No need to apologize my friend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

While not football, it is still appropriate given the topics of sportsmanship, coaching and leadership.  Its been surprisingly quiet on this forum and couldn't help from wondering why.

Was the punishment handed down by The Big 10/University of Michigan appropriate in the Juwan Howard case?  5 games suspension without pay (remainder of the regular season) and a $40K fine.  3 players suspended for 1 game.  

Hearing some advocating the ceasing of the handshake line at the games end.  (I have to admit...I align with Tom Izzo's stance)

Thoughts??  

I honestly thought he would be fired. What university wants a coach representing them who strikes another coach in the face? 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I honestly thought he would be fired. What university wants a coach representing them who strikes another coach in the face? 

I didn’t think it would land as a firing until his post game conference and then learning about his threat toward the Maryland head coach the previous year. I believe he’s very fortunate and hope he learns and grows from this horrible event. He needs to get his emotions under control. 

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I didn’t think it would land as a firing until his post game conference and then learning about his threat toward the Maryland head coach the previous year. I believe he’s very fortunate and hope he learns and grows from this horrible event. He needs to get his emotions under control. 

Michigan seems to be stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. 

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Howard has been a thug since his playing days. He's not likely to change now.

I honestly did not know that....I thought his reputation in the NBA was pretty solid.  I didn't remember any major outburts, but I may be missing the obvious.  I believe he left Michigan early, but earned his degree going to school, while playing ball, which I respected very much.

https://www.mitchalbom.com/juwans-promisewhile-playing-in-nbarookie-finishes-degree-from-michigan/

Because I had seen or heard of these outbursts before learning about his issue last year during the Big 10 tournament, I couldn't help from wondering if the stresses from coaching were getting to him and he is simply struggling managing this role.

Not making any excuses for Howard....perhaps wrongly, but I thought this recent episodes were signs of changing behavior.

A major element of this is the fact that he is a former player and alumni of the school. I'm sure he was and still is a donor as well. That plays a part when determining whether or not a coach is let go. LaVall Jordan at Butler is a case in point. If he weren't an alumni, he would have been fired by now. 

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

@gonzoron does apparently.

I'd call Juwan hot headed or temperamental, but I'll wait for evidence that he is "a thug."

Clock is ticking...

They just can't help themselves.  He sure painted himself into a corner, didn't he?

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I honestly did not know that....I thought his reputation in the NBA was pretty solid. 

There were incidents involving punches thrown in his NBA career resulting in fines and game suspensions. At least 2 against the Pacers alone.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

There were incidents involving punches thrown in his NBA career resulting in fines and game suspensions. At least 2 against the Pacers alone.

not doubting you...I just can't remember.  But I'm not a big NBA fan.

Perhaps anger management issues is a trend.....

Edited by Bash Riprock