Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Board of Director's Meeting/Notes

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Glad to see flag football now a full IHSAA sport

*Unified Flag Football - and yes it is AWESOME that the IHSAA has adopted both Unified Track & Field and Flag Football for these athletes.

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Coed/UnifiedFlagFootball/tabid/2141/Default.aspx

Edited by NLCTigerFan07
  • Like 1

Does anyone know the threshold of getting these items on to this agenda? I would imagine it is not every proposal brought to the IHSAA, so are these vetted/discussed/etc prior to this meeting? I guess the main question is, what are the chances of any/all of these things passing?  

I realize some are just verbiage corrections but others are significant changes.

13 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

I would expect us to have a 28th amendment to the Constitution before the IHSAA has a multiplier.

Indeed

That amendment will get voted down by score of WHATEVER THE VOTES ARE to ZERO 

I believe the 6 quarters of football is a HUGE plus for small schools 

I expect that to pass 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SBFootball1 said:

Does anyone know the threshold of getting these items on to this agenda? I would imagine it is not every proposal brought to the IHSAA, so are these vetted/discussed/etc prior to this meeting? I guess the main question is, what are the chances of any/all of these things passing?  

I realize some are just verbiage corrections but others are significant changes.

Sports proposals typically begin with the coaches association. They poll the coaches. I have been told the IHSAA is typically looking for a majority participation from the coaches and a 70%-80% yea vote to go along with depending on the the proposal.  

Proposals coming from particular sports then go thru the IIAAA (Indiana Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association) to try and gain favor with the AD's. You need to have your ducks in a row and present proposals to the IIAAA at their November meeting, to get things on the agenda for the IHSAA's Annual Meeting. 

I've never been involved with the principals association, but I would assume it's a similar process. 

I don't think each process happens exclusive from each other. I know some proposals coming from the IIAAA are sometimes discussed in the principal meetings.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Sports proposals typically begin with the coaches association. They poll the coaches. I have been told the IHSAA is typically looking for a majority participation from the coaches and a 70%-80% yea vote to go along with depending on the the proposal.  

Proposals coming from particular sports then go thru the IIAAA (Indiana Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association) to try and gain favor with the AD's. You need to have your ducks in a row and present proposals to the IIAAA at their November meeting, to get things on the agenda for the IHSAA's Annual Meeting. 

I've never been involved with the principals association, but I would assume it's a similar process. 

I don't think each process happens exclusive from each other. I know some proposals coming from the IIAAA are sometimes discussed in the principal meetings.  

Also, some changes are voted on by ADs and Principals in their Area Meetings.  

Commissioner Cox runs through them and takes votes. He will put his own spin on items and even if it is approved through the coaches association, conferences or particular area of a state does not mean everyone will agree with it. 

I have seen the Northern and Southern parts of the state approve a proposal while the middle part of the state voted against it, and was not approved. I’m not saying the middle part of the state has more power, but simply 2/3 does not always  rule, especially if the commissioner doesn’t agree.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HanShotFirst said:

Meeting works with official announcement of the new sectional alignments.  Rumblings made mention of early May, correct?

I would imagine they would released on April 30th or evening of the 29th. 

Once the final approval is done (which is my guess will be this meeting we are talking about) then they will put together the PDF, add to the website and press release it.   I do not think it would take more than next day, once it gets to the executive board meeting its just a rubber stamp as it has went through the committee level already on sectional realignments.  

IMO lowering the minimum to 2 Points for a school to remain in a higher class should be passed & go into effect immediately.

Best current example is Marquette boys basketball. 4 years ago, they earned 6+ Points & moved up from 1A to 2A. In the next 2-year cycle, they won 2 Sectional & 1 Regional for 3 Points which kept them in 2A. In the most recent 2-year cycle, they won 2 Sectionals for 2 Points. If they do not change the rule, Marquette will drop back into 1A. Any school who wins 4 (or 2) straight Sectionals is certainly competitive enough & should remain in that higher class.

• Like 1

"For private schools, territory is the geographical area from which students are drawn for attendance, as established by the diocese or other governing board. , and Wwhere no boundaries are established by for a private school by the diocese or other governing board, then the territory shall consist ofbe the city or town limits of the metropolitan area in which the school is located as well as the counties that are contiguous to city or town limits in which the school is located.or For private schools located outside a city or town limits, the territory will be the county lines of the county in which the school is located as well as the contiguous counties in which the school is located .when the school is located outside a city or town limits. For charter schools, territory is the state of Indiana. Proposed amendment made by Chuck Weisenbach, Principal, Roncalli High School."

Need to go there to read it better.  http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/2019 Board of Directors Agenda.pdf?timestamp=1555440462035

Big target on whom???

"For charter schools, territory is the state of Indiana."

I find the statement about charter schools interesting.  Why would a private school allow the charter schools to be able to use the entire state?  I don't think this will help private or non-charter public schools.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:17 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Indeed

That amendment will get voted down by score of WHATEVER THE VOTES ARE to ZERO 

I believe the 6 quarters of football is a HUGE plus for small schools 

I expect that to pass 

The way I read it the quarters  are effective immediately 

pro.JPG

On 4/17/2019 at 8:56 AM, SoIndRef said:

Why would the PAC propose the unlimited travel amendment?  

Possibly because they realize it’s none of the IHSAA’s business and that schools should be free to make their own decisions on what type of travel experiences they want to afford their student athletes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 4/21/2019 at 12:35 PM, Bobref said:

Possibly because they realize it’s none of the IHSAA’s business and that schools should be free to make their own decisions on what type of travel experiences they want to afford their student athletes?

Its a competitive balance issue.  Some schools can afford out of state travel, others cannot.  The rule helps to keep programs on as much of an even keel as possible.  

6 hours ago, DT said:

Its a competitive balance issue.  Some schools can afford out of state travel, others cannot.  The rule helps to keep programs on as much of an even keel as possible.  

Enforced mediocrity. And it’s even a poor way to accomplish that. Some schools can afford better weight rooms than others. Will we begin regulating that soon? I look forward to someone demonstrating how the ability to have those kinds of experiences translates to an unfair competitive advantage on the field. After all, there are all kinds of things that give one school an advantage over another, but they’re not unfair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another issue is time.  Time away from home, school work, other extracurricular activities.  When you start expanding outward for games, where do you draw the limit.  If a school wants to travel farther, they have two options, lobby more schools to favor it, or leave the IHSAA. It is a pretty democratic organization, don't like the rules, find a way to change them, or leave. I don't care one way or the other, but if the majority favors one system, so be it.

19 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Another issue is time.  Time away from home, school work, other extracurricular activities.  When you start expanding outward for games, where do you draw the limit.  If a school wants to travel farther, they have two options, lobby more schools to favor it, or leave the IHSAA. It is a pretty democratic organization, don't like the rules, find a way to change them, or leave. I don't care one way or the other, but if the majority favors one system, so be it.

No one’s arguing that. The discussion is about whether the travel restriction represents a wise policy. Things like you mentioned are definitely factors to be considered ... on the local level, not the one-size-fits-all approach the IHSAA rule currently imposes. And frankly, your “IHSAA, love it or leave it” approach adds nothing to a reasoned discussion of the subject.