Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

MLB Strike

Irishman

17 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Never said the players weren't greedy. But as you've already been shown, very few you would label greedy.  We know what every baseball player, from rookie league to the majors, makes in salary.  We don't know as the laws currently stand how much the owners make. And they hide this purposely. If it ever got out, the players, all of them, would be making more. Plus the owners for the most part have managed to hide much of the profits from uncle sam.  And no, I'm not pro-union.

When one seems to label ownership/management as the problem, that is a common union tactic.

Baseball players are not underpaid....not one bit.  They play a kids game.  And reading "poor" Mike Troutt's tweets during a time when we see what is going on over in Europe, and what inflation here in this country is doing to the average family, it is the absolute worst timing there can be for millionaires to cry.  

No sympathy for baseball players.  If their millions aren't enough to play a game, they are always welcome into the real world.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I believe I could have a decent life living off the minimum salary

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/charts/salary/major_league_salaries.shtml

On 3/5/2022 at 2:00 PM, Bobref said:

That argument, while it has populist appeal, misses the mark by a wide margin. In the marketplace, compensation is determined by 2 main factors: the demand for the service and the scarcity of the supply of that service. There are an awful lot of people who, with a bit of educatIon and training, can become a productive teacher, policeman, firefighter, etc. There are far fewer people who can hit a 93 mph slider down and away.

We will agree to disagree.....and don't really need a lesson about what drive labor cost.  Not a rookie here.

You actually made my point....Americans value entertainment over people that truly make a difference to society.  While far fewer may hit a 93 mph slider down and away, there are very few countries on this planet that care.  Baseball players are fortunate as well that education isn't necessary to hit a ball.  But they can thank their creator.

Edited by Bash Riprock

16 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

When one seems to label ownership/management as the problem, that is a common union tactic.

Baseball players are not underpaid....not one bit.  They play a kids game.  And reading "poor" Mike Troutt's tweets during a time when we see what is going on over in Europe, and what inflation here in this country is doing to the average family, it is the absolute worst timing there can be for millionaires to cry.  

No sympathy for baseball players.  If their millions aren't enough to play a game, they are always welcome into the real world.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I believe I could have a decent life living off the minimum salary

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/charts/salary/major_league_salaries.shtml

I bet all of us could live off the minimum salary, but it is rare that a player goes straight to the majors, many spend years in the minors.

According to my chart in my previous post, players are struggling to eat at the minor league level.  Although conditions have improved, it take time to be able to make the minimum major league salary.

Remember, the owners locked out the players.

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

We will agree to disagree.....and don't really need a lesson about what drive labor cost.  Not a rookie here.

We’re not really disagreeing, are we? We both agree that our society values certain types of entertainment more highly than some forms of inarguably vital services. I agree that it’s weird. But the laws of supply and demand don’t care.

And I know we’ll you’re no rookie. That’s why I was surprised you made such a rookie mistake. 😆

2 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I bet all of us could live off the minimum salary, but it is rare that a player goes straight to the majors, many spend years in the minors.

According to my chart in my previous post, players are struggling to eat at the minor league level.  Although conditions have improved, it take time to be able to make the minimum major league salary.

Remember, the owners locked out the players.

MLBPA has has YEARS to focus on minor league players.  But the focus has been driving up the salaries of their players....and they have been more than successful.  I am very skeptical this is truly about the "little man" in baseball.

Don't hear the players crying for higher wages for the beer vendor....the hot dog guy...the grounds crew....the ticketing department....purchasing reps, etc.  

I am not calling for owners to obtain "sainthood level" either.  But most of society has very little stomach for this given what is going on in the world today and also in our country.  At the end of the day, any increase in labor cost will be passed onto the consumer...that very same consumer that is struggling right now with the highest inflation in 40 years.  My point is that this is horrible timing.

If a a player can hit 93 mph slider down and away (Bobref reference), they won't be in the minors for long.

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

We’re not really disagreeing, are we? We both agree that our society values certain types of entertainment more highly than some forms of inarguably vital services. I agree that it’s weird. But the laws of supply and demand don’t care.

And I know we’ll you’re no rookie. That’s why I was surprised you made such a rookie mistake. 😆

There is no rookie mistake....its ridiculous to have millionaires and billionaires fighting at this time in history....over a child's game.   

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

MLBPA has has YEARS to focus on minor league players.  But the focus has been driving up the salaries of their players....and they have been more than successful.  I am very skeptical this is truly about the "little man" in baseball.

Don't hear the players crying for higher wages for the beer vendor....the hot dog guy...the grounds crew....the ticketing department....purchasing reps, etc.  

I am not calling for owners to obtain "sainthood level" either.  But most of society has very little stomach for this given what is going on in the world today and also in our country.  At the end of the day, any increase in labor cost will be passed onto the consumer...that very same consumer that is struggling right now with the highest inflation in 40 years.  My point is that this is horrible timing.

If a a player can hit 93 mph slider down and away (Bobref reference), they won't be in the minors for long.

There is no rookie mistake....its ridiculous to have millionaires and billionaires fighting at this time in history....over a child's game.   

If it were a child’s game, that would be true. If it were a multi-billion dollar, multinational enterprise … not so much.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:02 AM, Bobref said:

It’s “death knell,” not “nail,” although come to think of it, that sort of works in a mixed metaphor kind of way.

But you’re correct. It amazes me that people who have been so successful can be so tone deaf. Like Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

Or.... last nail in the coffin ......

2 hours ago, DE said:

Absolutely. People can “choose” what they identify as and we are forced to accept it. 

Fine by me if Bash/td wants to be called a veteran, even though that's not the name on the list. 

Edited by gonzoron

Not a good look for owners. I have never been a fan of Ricketts. Read how they played some dirty politics to acquire the Cubs. Fans were told that the organization could not afford to keep the roster they had, and yet the owner has a chance to buy a soccer team? Not just any soccer team either. If this happens, the Ricketts will own franchises worth $8 Billion

A reminder it was the owners who locked the players out.....just sayin

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ricketts-family-owners-of-the-chicago-cubs-reportedly-interested-in-buying-chelsea-football-club/ 

• Like 2

A tentative agreement has been reached. The regular season will start about a week late. Interesting that stories are talking about hang ups with the implementation of an international draft. Saw a player in the meeting that had posted they PA never had an issue with that. My guess is some owners pushed for getting to an agreement based on how much they have lost in revenue so far from missed Spring games to losses connected to the delays to opening day.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33470321/sources-mlb-union-reach-tentative-agreement-new-cba-salvage-162-game-season