Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Neutral Semi-States - the challenges

It’s definitely possible.  I think Ohio has a rule that requires a school to be willing to host any round of the tournament to be eligible to host any games.  I doubt that the executive committee would push for that here.

I prefer the 2 games at 1 site on Saturday format like we have for basketball.  I’ll just use this past season as an example.  Here’s what it could have looked like.

@Elkhart

New Prairie/Northridge

Andrean/Eastside

@Warsaw

Brebeuf/Marian

North Judson/Adams Central

@Lafayette Jeff

Merrillville/Westfield

Michigan City/Zionsville

@Franklin Central

Center Grove/Ben Davis

Indy Lutheran/Tri

@Bloomington South

Mount Vernon/Evansville Memorial

Scecina/Mater Dei

@Bloomington North

Cathedral/New Albany

Tri-West/Gibson Southern

On 3/16/2022 at 9:08 AM, Coach_K said:

I think it would be cool to do the 2 games, and my solution would be at the college fields.  Sure you might not get IU or PU, but there are a lot of smaller schools ISU, Butler, Ball State, not to mention D2, D3 and NAIA schools. 

Obviously, this would be dependent on their seasons/playoffs as well.

NCAA Division I rules prohibits them from hosting high school games.  Also the hash is further out on a college field.

Those are the issues that have been brought out in the past when this issue has been brought up.

9 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

It’s definitely possible.  I think Ohio has a rule that requires a school to be willing to host any round of the tournament to be eligible to host any games.  I doubt that the executive committee would push for that here.

I prefer the 2 games at 1 site on Saturday format like we have for basketball.  I’ll just use this past season as an example.  Here’s what it could have looked like.

@Elkhart

New Prairie/Northridge

Andrean/Eastside

@Warsaw

Brebeuf/Marian

North Judson/Adams Central

@Lafayette Jeff

Merrillville/Westfield

Michigan City/Zionsville

@Franklin Central

Center Grove/Ben Davis

Indy Lutheran/Tri

@Bloomington South

Mount Vernon/Evansville Memorial

Scecina/Mater Dei

@Bloomington North

Cathedral/New Albany

Tri-West/Gibson Southern

I like this model a lot!

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

I like this model a lot!

I agree. 

I like what @HoopsCoach sketched out, but I just don't see IHSAA members passing a rule that requires a school to do anything football related.  In basketball maybe, but we aren't there yet in football.  

I also like the Saturday playoff game feel.  Yes, it's a different routine than Friday school then a game, but if you have advanced to the final 4 or 8 it should feel a little different.  Plus a 1 pm and 4:30 pm start should hopefully have a little better weather in November.  

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

NCAA Division I rules prohibits them from hosting high school games.  Also the hash is further out on a college field.

Those are the issues that have been brought out in the past when this issue has been brought up.

Is that true? I thought Illinois played the state title game at NIU? 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I agree. 

I like what @HoopsCoach sketched out, but I just don't see IHSAA members passing a rule that requires a school to do anything football related.  In basketball maybe, but we aren't there yet in football.  

I also like the Saturday playoff game feel.  Yes, it's a different routine than Friday school then a game, but if you have advanced to the final 4 or 8 it should feel a little different.  Plus a 1 pm and 4:30 pm start should hopefully have a little better weather in November.  

I honestly don’t think the requirement to be willing to host is necessary - just an idea and I agree that it would be unlikely to have support from the IHSAA board.  If the IHSAA would simply give schools more of an incentive to host, I think a lot more would be willing.  Covering the cost of hosting and letting the host keep concession revenue just doesn’t make it worth the effort for an AD to want their school to host.  Spreading more of the wealth from tourney revenues to host schools, and giving more schools a chance to pull in some of those revenues by letting them host (instead of the same schools that have admin on the IHSAA executive committee always hosting when others are willing) would help incentivize hosting and maybe eliminate any need to mandate hosting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

Missouri played their Title games at:  Mizzou and Missouri State. 

Kentucky played theirs at: UK and Western Kentucky

Illinois played at UI-Champaign and now at NIU 

No idea of where you are getting your "information"  

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

That is true https://discoversycamore.com/huskie-stadium-chosen-as-site-for-ihsa-football-championships/

not sure why some posters spread fake news and get away with it, I will report the other post

No need to report it.....he stated what he thought was factual.....He was not right, but it happens. Not really anything to report....refute? absolutely. All is well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

No need to report it.....he stated what he thought was factual.....He was not right, but it happens. Not really anything to report....refute? absolutely. All is well. 

There are some limitations, but I'm not sure of the exact wording. It may be that the college can't host the event, but another organization can rent the facility. There are games played at Ball State every year, Cathedral has played games at UIndy, and I think Ritter still plays several games at Marian.

As for the D3/NAIA schools hosting regional/semi-state, they would not be able to commit to semi-state week because that is the first round of the tournament. It could look bad to their coach to apply to host a high school semi-state. He could read it the school has no confidence they'll make the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, JustRules said:

There are some limitations, but I'm not sure of the exact wording. It may be that the college can't host the event, but another organization can rent the facility. There are games played at Ball State every year, Cathedral has played games at UIndy, and I think Ritter still plays several games at Marian.

As for the D3/NAIA schools hosting regional/semi-state, they would not be able to commit to semi-state week because that is the first round of the tournament. It could look bad to their coach to apply to host a high school semi-state. He could read it the school has no confidence they'll make the playoffs.

The college cannot host the event and third-party organizations (such as Ray Compton's group that has hosted the days at Lucas Oil Stadium and some HSBB daily shootouts at Gainbridge Fieldhouse and the Indiana Farmers Coliseum) are also not allowed to rent college-owned facilities, as it's seen as giving a recruiting advantage. 

However, a state association like the IHSAA *can* rent out a college facility. It happens very frequently - the IHSAA used Indiana State's arena for the girls basketball State Finals for a few years. It also uses Worthen Arena at Ball State for the gymnastics finals, IU's track, Purdue's softball stadium and IUPUI's swimming pool for their respective State Finals. 

It won't happen for a neutral semistate, because the rental costs are too high. But the idea of using larger high school facilities might work. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 7:32 AM, Bobref said:

I believe Ohio does not go to neutral sites until Week 2. Higher seeded team gets a home game in Week 1. Ping pong balls are not involved. 😂

Never cared a lot for their numeric calculations for tournament entry although they did expand them this past season.   However, I like the neutral site idea and it can work with a little effort and some out of the box thinking.

1 hour ago, DE said:

Spot on Whiting.

Not really....HUGE difference between what fake news (an actual news article that is not accurate) is and someone simply posting something that was not accurate as in an opinion....and reporting it is even more time consuming for people who volunteer here. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

@DE care to explain what is so funny about my posts? 

I figured someone that pushes for extra attention from people who volunteer here, you would have a better understanding of my last post. 

😂  Nope.  You appear to be a smart fella.  You can figure it out, I am sure.

And enough with the whoa is me "volunteer" angle.  You chose to do it.  Nobody put a gun to your head.  Don't like it, give it up.  Simple.

• Like 1
  • Sit and spin 1

1 minute ago, DE said:

😂  Nope.  You appear to be a smart fella.  You can figure it out, I am sure.

And enough with the whoa is me "volunteer" angle.  You chose to do it.  Nobody put a gun to your head.  Don't like it, give it up.  Simple.

I really expected nothing less as a response. Just figured you might, for once be more straightforward. Call me optimistic lol 

Just now, Irishman said:

I really expected nothing less as a response. Just figured you might, for once be more straightforward. Call me optimistic lol 

Cool.

When I have been straight forward, you decided to "ban" me.  You can call it whatever you want ("spamming"), but the fact of the matter is, when your beliefs or opinions are questioned, you play Mark or Jack.  Difference is, you are a volunteer and are choosing this.  Back to the topic at hand.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DE said:

Cool.

When I have been straight forward, you decided to "ban" me.  You can call it whatever you want ("spamming"), but the fact of the matter is, when your beliefs or opinions are questioned, you play Mark or Jack.  Difference is, you are a volunteer and are choosing this.  Back to the topic at hand.

Yeah....keep making up stuff to play the innocent victim all you want. You know what you were banned for.  Don't like it? oh well; let us know when you want to leave. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Yeah....keep making up stuff to play the innocent victim all you want. You know what you were banned for.  Don't like it? oh well; let us know when you want to leave. 

🤣  let it go dude.  make what up?  i am not playing the innocent victim.  i'm calling your hypocritical backside out. check the latest cdc miscalculations.  i will await your apology.  sorry you are simply a follower.  until then, i am 100% fine right here thank you.  👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DE said:

🤣  let it go dude.  make what up?  i am not playing the innocent victim.  i'm calling your hypocritical backside out. check the latest cdc miscalculations.  i will await your apology.  sorry you are simply a follower.  until then, i am 100% fine right here thank you.  👍

Make up why you were banned. It was NOT about the stats or any angle. members were asked to keep that on either side off the main page. There is a forum to post all about it that you want....in fact you have been posting there. Nothing has been deleted from there now has it? Not a difficult concept to understand. You refused to follow that guideline, and paid the consequence. So no apologies coming from me.

8 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I have no quarrel with either of you here... but as an admin/mod who likes to remind posters to stay on topic, this has certainly been derailed by you @Irishman 

Your first post? Perfectly fine. But then following up to your own post asking what was funny about it just stoked the fires for absolutely no reason.

I admit it is not something I would normally do......but I would not say the follow up was for "absolutely no reason".  I am done with it now though. 

On topic, I have LONG supported neutral sites for Semi State. The upside far outweighs the negatives. 

• Like 1