Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8-Man Football

On 3/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, foxbat said:

I'm not so sure about conference-based in Harrison's case though as last season, Harrison's JV only played three games with NCC opponents and, the season before, it only ended up being two games within conference.

The NCC plays varsity Friday night, followed by JV and/or Freshman games on Saturday.  Usually late morning and early afternoon for the JV/Freshman games.  Occasionally a Monday evening game will be played, but they are normally on Saturdays.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, Piratefan101 said:

Was told by an AD 8 man football would be a spring sport 

Translation: the soccer coaches have a lot more pull in those schools than the baseball/track coaches do. 

Every time a new sport is added, you hear howling from the existing sport coaches in that season about "losing kids." A couple decades ago, I wrote a story about Eastern Hancock parents pushing for soccer (which never happened) and the next morning, fielded phone calls from multiple cross country coaches at other schools telling me why it was a terrible idea (the terrible idea being soccer drew kids away from cross country) ... we added boys volleyball at New Pal this spring, and I heard complaining from track coaches (again, at other schools who already have teams) about how much adding BVB "decimated" their programs. 

On 3/24/2022 at 1:14 PM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I'll be anxious to see if some of the schools up here in NW IN will start up 8 man football teams. Up here the schools that don't play football offer boys volleyball in the fall. I just wonder if the smaller schools will have the numbers to have both 8 man football and soccer/cross country/boys vb or 8 man football and track/baseball. I know some of the smaller schools (Kouts, Hebron) share athletes in some sports

Seems like Saturday mornings have replaced Monday JV games for a lot of school here in the north. 

Interesting that boys volleyball is played in the fall in the Region ... it's a spring sport in Central Indiana. It's almost universal in Central/Southern Indiana that if a school doesn't offer football, it has boys soccer instead (and thus homecoming is a Friday-night soccer game). 

Much like soccer - where some schools played a fall season and some played a spring season before the IHSAA took over, with those playing in the fall having a state tournament - I'd expect boys volleyball to be standardized as a spring sport when the IHSAA finally takes over administration of that sport (which will likely happen when it adopts girls wrestling, which is growing very rapidly). 

• 2 weeks later...