Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Schools That Have Won Football & Basketball Titles in the Same School Year

On 3/31/2022 at 11:18 AM, Dave007 said:

What is most crazy about Cathedral this year is that in the championship football game Tibbs had 200 receiving yards...and in the basketball championship he was the leading scorer for the Irish.

He's having a special career. Has a shot at the elusive 5 blue rings. Only Zeke Seltzer in wrestling this year has achieved that at Cathedral. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, jakone said:

Didn't his father used to frequent this board?

Yes, Purple Nurple is a GID Legend!!!  

On 3/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, jakone said:

Didn't his father used to frequent this board?

Edited by Yuccaguy

On 3/28/2022 at 12:47 PM, Yuccaguy said:

And if I can remember. 

This was the year that Kevin Keirmaier saved them in the Baseball Sectional Final (with 2 outs).  And got himself a scholarship to Parkland JC.  The rest as they say.....IS HISTORY! 

I believe the rain may have helped as well against my classmates and grade older than me if remembering right.

• Thanks 1

Bit off topic but the 2000-2001 1A sports year was cool. AC beats Attica in football. Attica comes back to beat Blue River Valley in basketball. AC loses to Triton in baseball. AC & Attica with great athletes getting blue & red ribbons that year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 11:25 AM, Sledge said:

Bishop Chatard 2003 I believe

Add to this…it just came to mind, and it may be the only time this has happened, but the same person won the Mental Attitude Award in both. Mike Dury was the QB for Chatard and a Forward on the BBall team. The bball team beat Elmhurst out of Fort Wayne with James Hardy leading that team. Their head coach was an assistant principal I worked with for a few years at New Haven. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

Add to this…it just came to mind, and it may be the only time this has happened, but the same person won the Mental Attitude Award in both. Mike Dury was the QB for Chatard and a Forward on the BBall team. The bball team beat Elmhurst out of Fort Wayne with James Hardy leading that team. Their head coach was an assistant principal I worked with for a few years at New Haven. 

Mike was quite the athlete with a very nice baseball career at Notre Dame.  Check out his bio

https://und.com/roster/mike-dury/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral baseball on an extremely impressive run the last few weeks. Think they were right around .500 with a couple ties (how do you tie in baseball?) heading in to the tournament. 

Ties usually happen early in the season when it gets dark earlier and no lights on the field.  And, yes it looks like Cathedral has been hitting the ball really well in the tournament the past few weeks.

Edited by Southside

On 3/30/2022 at 9:13 AM, Muda69 said:

*yawn*  This is one of the more boring off-season threads I've seen on the GID.

That said, of course it is usually a p/p or mega school that does this due to different reasons:

Mega schools, by their very nature, just have that surplus of OMG! Athletes which makes athletic specialization more possible.

And p/p tend to develop their much smaller pool of OMG! Athletes into multi-sport automatons, coaches are able to plug them into a different sport after a relatively small practice window.

Just some food for thought - in baseball state finals, 5 of the 8 schools are privates, comprising roughly 63% of the teams in the finals. Yet when you look at ALL the high schools in Indiana, privates only make up around 19% of the total schools.

56 minutes ago, Southside said:

Ties usually happen early in the season when it gets dark earlier and no lights on the field.  And, yes it looks like Cathedral has been hitting the ball really well in the tournament the past few weeks.

Crazy, Irish has been averaging over 12 runs a game the last 3 post seasons games.  Explosive offense gives lots of room for Irish pitching to relax to the extent of allowing runs just doesn't matter.

It would be interesting to see what other HS teams even in midwest did this feat at the highest class level (4A for basketball, baseball and 5A for football).

1 hour ago, LCKfan4life said:

Just some food for thought - in baseball state finals, 5 of the 8 schools are privates, comprising roughly 63% of the teams in the finals. Yet when you look at ALL the high schools in Indiana, privates only make up around 19% of the total schools.

CYO 😁

10 minutes ago, Grover said:

CYO 😁

I'd be shocked if less than 95% of LCC's and Andrean's rosters were comprised of anything but CYO kids although in this day of age guessing travel ball gets in the way of CYO baseball. It's not what it used to be.

I couldn't tell you where Illiana Christian is located on a map but can assure you it has nothing to do with CYO. 

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I'd be shocked if less than 95% of LCC's and Andrean's rosters were comprised of anything but CYO kids although in this day of age guessing travel ball gets in the way of CYO baseball. It's not what it used to be.

I couldn't tell you where Illiana Christian is located on a map but can assure you it has nothing to do with CYO. 

Illiana christian is in dyer near Andrean and lake central 2 perennial baseball powers fyi

14 hours ago, Dave007 said:

Crazy, Irish has been averaging over 12 runs a game the last 3 post seasons games.  Explosive offense gives lots of room for Irish pitching to relax to the extent of allowing runs just doesn't matter.

It would be interesting to see what other HS teams even in midwest did this feat at the highest class level (4A for basketball, baseball and 5A for football).

It's always amazing how good your pitchers look when your bats are red hot.

19 hours ago, Grover said:

CYO 😁

I would say 90% of the Cathedral starting baseball roster is CYO. The only player I can think of that isn't is Kyuss Gargett, our starting corner for the football team this season. Our starting pitcher is no other than the Mr. Football kicker Ben Gomez (Immaculate Heart of Mary)! Sidewinder! 

Also, it is worth noting that the boy's golf team has a puncher's chance at the State Golf title as well this weekend. And Boy's Rugby just beat Penn for the state title. This has been a senior class for the ages at Cathedral. 

3 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I would say 90% of the Cathedral starting baseball roster is CYO. The only player I can think of that isn't is Kyuss Gargett, our starting corner for the football team this season. Our starting pitcher is no other than the Mr. Football kicker Ben Gomez (Immaculate Heart of Mary)! Sidewinder! 

Also, it is worth noting that the boy's golf team has a puncher's chance at the State Golf title as well this weekend. And Boy's Rugby just beat Penn for the state title. This has been a senior class for the ages at Cathedral. 

It always ruins a perfectly good narrative though!!