Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Summer Schedule

So maybe I am old and out of it but what is the traditional summer conditioning/practice routine? The local school where I am is going Monday/Tuesday/Thursday from 2pm to 6pm. The first 2 hours is weightlifting and the 2nd 2 hours is practice. Is this normal and what most schools are doing now or is this out of the norm? What is your schools summer schedule look like. 

1 hour ago, SouthernFan said:

So maybe I am old and out of it but what is the traditional summer conditioning/practice routine? The local school where I am is going Monday/Tuesday/Thursday from 2pm to 6pm. The first 2 hours is weightlifting and the 2nd 2 hours is practice. Is this normal and what most schools are doing now or is this out of the norm? What is your schools summer schedule look like. 

Unless you have large numbers on your team, I never saw a reason why weights took 2 hours?  Just thinking out loud.

• Thanks 1
  • Kill me now 1

21 hours ago, SouthernFan said:

That sounds about normal to me. You can’t have a full week of two-a-days anymore, at least like there was 20 years ago.

Many coaches/programs use the summer for teaching fundamentals. That way when practice starts the same week school starts, players don’t get overloaded with new stuff. 

And I would guess 2 hours for weights would include stretching, plyos, conditioning, and maybe even some speed work. But ‘Weights 2-4’ is much easier to type on a schedule. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We go three times per week. We have an hour per day scheduled in the weight room and an hour and a half for field work.  The weight room is also available earlier for a couple of hours to accommodate players schedules.  But we are a mid sized 3A school.  Different schools have different needs.

• Like 1