Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Don’t Let The Wording Fool You…

52 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

In a interview that took place in February Curry said he weighed 245 when he arrived at Ohio and has gained 5 pounds bring his weight up to 250. He also said he wants to reach 265 for the start of spring practices in March.

Id be more concerned about his actual height, which is absolutely critical at his position.  There is a BIG difference between 6-2.5 and 6-5., especially when you are pass rushing against 6-7 offensive guards and tackles. 

If he is closer to 6.2.5, dont be surprised to see him moved to LB.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Muscle weighs more than fat. Kids a brick. He’ll be 250-260 after 4 years in a college weight room.

Cronk was listed at 270 his senior year at LCC.  He's now listed at 318 in his first year at Jacksonville.

2 hours ago, HHF said:

Not sure if Curry's body is going to fill out to the NFL standard .  He's quite lean.  Reminds me a lot of another highly recruited CG DE who upon closer scrutiny was a little on the smallish side.

Curry's skills and instincts are among the best I've seen in a high school situation. Plenty of time to fill out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

He’s got prototypical size for a modern day rush end. I’d be more worried about his combine numbers than size in my opinion.

Which numbers would you worry about?

9 minutes ago, Grover said:

Which numbers would you worry about?

40 time, shuttle, etc. Those rush ends that are 6'3-6'4 250-260 lbs are still running 4.5's and 4.6's and some of them faster. No clue what Caden runs or will run when he's draft eligible but in my opinion would be a bigger concern than his size. It's not everything but can't deny that guys are penalized for poor combine performances. 

50 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

40 time, shuttle, etc. Those rush ends that are 6'3-6'4 250-260 lbs are still running 4.5's and 4.6's and some of them faster. No clue what Caden runs or will run when he's draft eligible but in my opinion would be a bigger concern than his size. It's not everything but can't deny that guys are penalized for poor combine performances. 

Caden was one of the fastest guys on our team last year.  And he’s quicker than he is fast. 

Edited by Grover

4 minutes ago, Grover said:

Caden was one of the fastest guys on our team last year.  And he’s quicker than he is fast. 

I'm not doubting that. Being the fastest kid on your high school team is entirely different than being the fastest player in your draft class. 

2 hours ago, HHF said:

Id be more concerned about his actual height, which is absolutely critical at his position.  There is a BIG difference between 6-2.5 and 6-5., especially when you are pass rushing against 6-7 offensive guards and tackles. 

If he is closer to 6.2.5, dont be surprised to see him moved to LB.

There is talk that he might play the LEO position for Ohio State

36 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm not doubting that. Being the fastest kid on your high school team is entirely different than being the fastest player in your draft class. 

Okay, Captain Obvious, but when you’re a defensive lineman and you’re one of the fastest kids on the 5th ranked team in the country then speed isn’t your biggest concern. 

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

Okay, Captain Obvious, but when you’re a defensive lineman and you’re one of the fastest kids on the 5th ranked team in the country then speed isn’t your biggest concern. 

If Caden Curry is running a 4.5 or 4.6 at the NFL combine he'll have nothing to worry about. I'm guessing that isn't the case though or else you wouldn't be this defensive. 

I have little doubt he'll be able to add on the necessary weight that was giving DT concerns about his ability to get drafted. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

LEO position: Weak side defensive end or move inside and closer to the offensive guards or even bounce back into coverage as a linebacker.

OSU has had some big linebackers over the years that had great careers.  Tom Cousineau, James Laurinaitis, Bobby Carpenter.  All in the 6-3, 240 range.  

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If Caden Curry is running a 4.5 or 4.6 at the NFL combine he'll have nothing to worry about. I'm guessing that isn't the case though or else you wouldn't be this defensive. 

I have little doubt he'll be able to add on the necessary weight that was giving DT concerns about his ability to get drafted. 

As I mentioned, Id be more concerned about the height variance.  Very few under 6-3 high level defensive ends in the pros.  Weve been told for 2 years that Curry is 6-5.  Something is amiss.  

54 minutes ago, Grover said:

Is he faster than James Schott (Michigan State DE recruit )?   I know Schott has the 5th fastest 110 hurdle time in the state so far this year.     14.83

8 minutes ago, HHF said:

As I mentioned, Id be more concerned about the height variance.  Very few under 6-3 high level defensive ends in the pros.  Weve been told for 2 years that Curry is 6-5.  Something is amiss.  

Curry is nowhere close to 6’5, that’s evident just looking at him on the field. He can still play rush end in a 4-3 as a down line man or a stand up in 3-4 at 6’3 250-255 but he needs to run in the 4.5-4.6 range. Look at Ojabo and Moye from Michigan and Minnesota who just got drafted early in the 2nd round this past weekend. Similar sizes to Curry but both ran sub 4.6 in the 40.

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Curry is nowhere close to 6’5, that’s evident just looking at him on the field. He can still play rush end in a 4-3 as a down line man or a stand up in 3-4 at 6’3 250-255 but he needs to run in the 4.5-4.6 range. Look at Ojabo and Moye from Michigan and Minnesota who just got drafted early in the 2nd round this past weekend. Similar sizes to Curry but both ran sub 4.6 in the 40.

I have this feeling he's gotten way in over his head

31 minutes ago, Grover said:

I’m calling BS on him being one of the fastest kids on the team…unless you are considering being in the 90th percentile “one of the fastest.”

CG has more speed than folks want to admit (at all three levels) and this track season is proving it.

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Who Curry? Why do you say that?

I believe the disinformation over his HT/WHT will come back on him at some point.  Clearly, the OSY staff can see what is right in front of them.  But they are also incentivized to hit recruiting numbers and rankings based on player ratings.  Curry was just short of 5 star status.  That helps push the OSU overall recruiting results up a notch or two.  Staff might overlook some shortcomings, so to speak.

Note 247 analyst Allen Trieu's overall assessment and comments below :

While 247Sports national recruiting analyst Allen Trieu notes that Curry "comes across as more compact than his listed size," the projection includes an NFL future and a "very high floor" thanks to his performance against good competition in high school. 

Very productive, disruptive player. Even when he is not the one making the play, he is consistently affecting offenses with his penetration. Gets off the snap quickly and shows the agility to get skinny and get through the line or win with a spin move. Shows violence with his hands. Is able to pursue because he can change directions but also pursues hard. At his best when penetrating, can still get stronger to be able to hold ground against the run more especially projecting him going against stronger college players. Seems extremely high floor because of the way he plays and production against good competition in high school. Still looking for a true verified measurement on him, but a legitimate high major difference maker. Could play end in an odd front or tackle in an even front.

Aren’t all reports out of Columbus extremely positive thus far?

They have that cute little helmet stripe tradition that I’m too lazy to look up right now but I thought Curry was among the most impressive freshmen on the duster this spring.

What in THE HELL are you talking about? 

Edited by temptation

5 minutes ago, HHF said:

I believe the disinformation over his HT/WHT will come back on him at some point.  Clearly, the OSY staff can see what is right in front of them.  But they are also incentivized to hit recruiting numbers and rankings based on player ratings.  Curry was just short of 5 star status.  That helps push the OSU overall recruiting results up a notch or two.  Staff might overlook some shortcomings, so to speak.

While 247Sports national recruiting analyst Allen Trieu notes that Curry "comes across as more compact than his listed size," the projection includes an NFL future and a "very high floor" thanks to his performance against good competition in high school. 

Very productive, disruptive player. Even when he is not the one making the play, he is consistently affecting offenses with his penetration. Gets off the snap quickly and shows the agility to get skinny and get through the line or win with a spin move. Shows violence with his hands. Is able to pursue because he can change directions but also pursues hard. At his best when penetrating, can still get stronger to be able to hold ground against the run more especially projecting him going against stronger college players. Seems extremely high floor because of the way he plays and production against good competition in high school. Still looking for a true verified measurement on him, but a legitimate high major difference maker. Could play end in an odd front or tackle in an even front.

The Ohio State Spring Game roster listed him as 6-3 250

4 minutes ago, HHF said:

You’re looking way too deep into this. There’s no way OSU recruited Curry on the presumption of his ht/wt in the Center Grove game day program. Every high school kid in America fudges their ht/wt on the game day program to look bigger and badder. Our high school RB was 5’10 200 lbs who was 6 foot 225 lbs in the football program and 6’4 200 lbs 3 months later in the basketball program. This has been happening for 50+ years. 

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Aren’t all reports out of Columbus extremely positive thus far?

They have that cute little helmet stripe tradition that I’m too lazy to look up right now but I thought Curry was among the most impressive freshmen on the duster this spring.

What in THE HELL are you talking about? 

He was the second freshman to lose his stripe