Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Club and Varsity Sport

Where do club and Varsity sport lines cross? I see "clubs" practicing all the time.  Varsity coaches instructing all ages of kids including varsity age participants.  It is like the rules don't apply.  Club status makes it ok? or is this a fine line that is being walked? Any insight?

I hate club sports, but unfortunately that's where a lot of sports are heading.  I have spoken to an AD and he thought that's the future, whether right or wrong.

Softball actually has a rule that is no club ball during the season.  I don't know the specifics but I have talked to multiple softball coaches who have confirmed this.

Basketball and Volleyball are ridiculous!  Those kids are out there all the time! 

PAY TO PLAY!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Varsity coaches instructing all ages of kids including varsity age participants.

A Varsity coach who coaches a club team cannot have anyone who attends his school on the club team.

24 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

It is like the rules don't apply.

The IHSAA does have rules and they DO apply.

25 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

or is this a fine line that is being walked?

No

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

Where do club and Varsity sport lines cross? I see "clubs" practicing all the time.  Varsity coaches instructing all ages of kids including varsity age participants.  It is like the rules don't apply.  Club status makes it ok? or is this a fine line that is being walked? Any insight?

Are you drawing a distinction with club, like the year-round guys, versus a travel baseball team that plays about 6 weeks or so in the summer after the high school season ends?  Or are you considering those the same thing?

22 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Are you drawing a distinction with club, like the year-round guys, versus a travel baseball team that plays about 6 weeks or so in the summer after the high school season ends?  Or are you considering those the same thing?

None of the clubs(at least in basketball) are allowed to practice/play during IHSAA school ball season. It's against IHSAA rules to participate on the same team in an organized event with athletes from other schools

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gonzoron said:

None of the clubs(at least in basketball) are allowed to practice/play during IHSAA school ball season. It's against IHSAA rules to participate on the same team in an organized event with athletes from other schools

👍 

And no. Hell hasn’t frozen over. 

Edited by DE
  • Sit and spin 1

On 3/31/2022 at 5:53 PM, gonzoron said:

As others have stated there are rules that must be followed and I assume it varies sport to sport. Swimming appears to be more liberal than others. The coaches for club and HS cross over significantly and there is a club season that happens during the HS season. Swimmers are limited to only 2 club events though during the HS season. Coaches are also banned from coaching during the normal summer moratorium seasons. But they are allowed to coach their swimmers during regular club season. The clubs are technically more community focused than school focused. For example, you'll find swimmer from Chatard and Cathedral at clubs in Carmel, Lawrence, Fishers, and Warren Central. Probably some Washington Township as well.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 5:29 PM, foxbat said:

Example, varsity wrestling coaches holding club practice in high school wrestling room with kids grades 5-11 two weeks after varsity wrestling season is over.  It is not during limited contact period.

7 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

Example, varsity wrestling coaches holding club practice in high school wrestling room with kids grades 5-11 two weeks after varsity wrestling season is over.  It is not during limited contact period.

What 'rules' do you feel are being broken or ignored here? 

1 hour ago, Punttheball said:

I will check on this, but I am pretty sure if the kids are in the school system, there is no issue with this happening. The limited contact period only applies to a high school coach and his athletes on the high school team. 

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

What 'rules' do you feel are being broken or ignored here? 

Varsity Coaches coaching kids in their system outside of limited contact period.  It really only effects the kids in grades 8-11 or 9-11.  I thought this is why limited contact periods were created.

I misread the original post as AGES 5-11, and not grades…lol, my mistake.  In that case, 8th graders are still ok, as for a lot of schools, the junior high season starts after the high school season, but the 9-11 grades should not be there outside the contact window. They can still lift and condition though, like all other sports can.  My guess though is there is some flexibility with wrestling as was mentioned about swimming.