Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Kaepernick/Michigan

BTF

This could make for interesting conversation. Let's try to keep it cool though. I think having Kaepernick as the honorary captain at the Michigan spring game was a bold move. Does this move help or hurt the program? On one hand, I'm not surprised. The University of Michigan is widely considered liberal. Does this piss off their conservative donors? One would think so. 

On 3/30/2022 at 10:18 PM, gonzoron said:

Honorary Captain for the spring Maize and Blue game at Michigan:

honorary captain.jpg

On 3/31/2022 at 6:37 AM, gonzoron said:

On 3/31/2022 at 10:28 AM, Bobref said:

Sometimes I wonder if Harbaugh doesn’t actually relish his reputation as “quirky,” and do some things just because he can. I think he revels in his “differentness.” Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:31 AM, Bobref said:

I’m glad he stayed at Michigan. College football is more interesting with him in it.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

This could make for interesting conversation. Let's try to keep it cool though. I think having Kaepernick as the honorary captain at the Michigan spring game was a bold move. Does this move help or hurt the program? On one hand, I'm not surprised. The University of Michigan is widely considered liberal. Does this piss off their conservative donors? One would think so. 

Here are the posts concerning it from the College Football 2022 thread.

While I am not a fan of Kaepernick at all, what cannot be underestimated is the bond between a coach and player. Harbaugh has seen a side of Kap that NONE of us have seen. I do not give a rat’s ass what his politics are; he is entitled to his opinion. Some bonds go deeper than something like that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

While I am not a fan of Kaepernick at all, what cannot be underestimated is the bond between a coach and player. Harbaugh has seen a side of Kap that NONE of us have seen. I do not give a rat’s ass what his politics are; he is entitled to his opinion. Some bonds go deeper than something like that. 

Can't say I can argue with that. Could Harbaugh have said, "I love ya man, but I just can't take that risk." I'm not sure a bond with a former player is strong enough to risk upsetting big donors. I can see both sides of the coin on this one. 

22 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Here are the posts concerning it from the College Football 2022 thread.

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't been following all the topics these days. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BTF said:

I’ve seen both sides from UM fans, alumni and donors. 

I’ve also seen what’s being said by players, recruits and their families about this move and they LOVE it which is what really matters.

Quirky or not, Harbaugh knows exactly what he’s doing here…and let’s be real (politics aside) if you are basing your fandom or donations on this one move, you really weren’t a fan to begin with.

Personally, I don’t care for the guy based on him talking out of turn and not being as educated on certain issues as many want to think he is… (like why would he try to get back in the very same league that he claims is a slave plantation?)

But then again, I’m not making millions of dollars to make choice for a football program/university.

Side note, where in the hell is @Footballking16?

Did he take his ball and go home?

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, temptation said:

In summary, mixed bag.

Figured it would be. We're all faced with it at some point with the team we support. 

I still don't think there is a place in sports for politics, just as there isn't a place for politics in Hollywood. I don't throw around my political opinion when I'm meeting with clients. Nor should athletes or movie stars to those who buy their tickets and support their livelihood. My value to my clients has nothing to do with BLM, Donald Trump, or the latest shooting down the street. We pay athletes and movies stars to perform, not open their mouths about world events. A teachers job is to teach a class of a specific area. A doctor is paid to heal. A lawyer to defend or prosecute. Athletes should be held to the same standard. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Good conversation. Wasn't trying to start a beat-up session on the Wolverines. Just wondering what fans thought of this move. 

I also wonder had he done this one year ago if he gets the same mixed reaction? Did getting into the playoff give him some leverage?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I also wonder had he done this one year ago if he gets the same mixed reaction? Did getting into the playoff give him some leverage?

Great question.  I’d honestly say no.  365 days ago, Harbaugh was viewed in a different light both locally and nationally.

To Jim it really doesn’t matter though.  He is going to go about his business regardless of what others think.

To him this move was obvious.

To show current and future players and their families that he cares for them and is building lifelong relationships regardless of the circumstances.

He really is a genuine guy and I’m not dismissing ulterior motives but to some (specifically Michigan’s rivals) this is purely a move for optics.

I mentioned above it’s been a mixed bag but will honestly say that that bag has been about 75/25 on the positive end with Michigan fans/folks and the inverse when it comes to outsiders based on what I have seen/read.

The 12 win season/conference title and OSU win earned him some grace, lol.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Interesting point. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Meh.  Harbaugh is too smart for that crap.  It was too recent on the heels of the Burning, Looting, Murdering that took place roughly one year before.  All the Kaepernick supported.

Circus.

• Haha 2