Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Open Club  ·  46 members  ·  Free

OOB v2.0

Will Smith vs. Chris Rock

Bobref

Now that we’ve had a week to digest this bizarre event, I’d like to know how the GIDers feel about what happened. People everywhere expressing shock and outrage. Also, I’m sure there are some people who will see some sort of conspiracy here — they see them everywhere — and believe it was staged as a publicity stunt. Love to hear everyone’s take on it …. But first you have to hear mine.

I know that if my wife had gone through what Jada has and then had to sit there and hear some guy make fun of that in front of millions of people, I would not take that sitting down. I’d like to think I could wait until we all got backstage, but maybe not. The thing is, it’s like civil disobedience: there’s a principle worth defending, but there is a cost you have to be prepared to pay. Will Smith stood up for his wife like a man. Then apologized like a man, and is prepared to take his punishment like a man. I admire him.

And to all my friends who were shocked and horrified at this outrage in the 21st century, I am well aware of the legal definition of battery. I did learn something in law school and 45 yrs. of practicing law. But sometimes we can be just a little too civilized for our own good.

Edited by Bobref

I initially thought it was a publicity stunt. Watching what happened afterward, I have come to think it was not staged. Will initially laughed at the joke, but then got the look of death from Jada, and knew he had to act. Will is a great actor, one of my favorites. I am not going to judge him as hard as others have because of one incident. I am willing to bet Chris Rock has found himself in this spot a few times. I do think there are bette ways to handle it rather than smacking someone. 

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

Now that we’ve had a week to digest this bizarre event, I’d like to know how the GIDers feel about what happened. People everywhere expressing shock and outrage. Also, I’m sure there are some people who will see some sort of conspiracy here — they see them everywhere — and believe it was staged as a publicity stunt. Love to hear everyone’s take on it …. But first you have to hear mine.

I know that if my wife had gone through what Jada has and then had to sit there and hear some guy make fun of that in front of millions of people, I would not take that sitting down. I’d like to think I could wait until we all got backstage, but maybe not. The thing is, it’s like civil disobedience: there’s a principle worth defending, but there is a cost you have to be prepared to pay. Will Smith stood up for his wife like a man. Then apologized like a man, and is prepared to take his punishment like a man. I admire him.

And to all my friends who were shocked and horrified at this outrage in the 21st century, I am well aware of the legal definition of battery. I did learn something in law school and 45 yrs. of practicing law. But sometimes we can be just a little too civilized for our own good.

Dumbest 💩

Thank the Lord I do not watch that s*it.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

But did your wife take the bull like Jada did?

#SelectiveOutrageByWill

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

I initially thought it was a publicity stunt. Watching what happened afterward, I have come to think it was not staged. Will initially laughed at the joke, but then got the look of death from Jada, and knew he had to act. Will is a great actor, one of my favorites. I am not going to judge him as hard as others have because of one incident. I am willing to bet Chris Rock has found himself in this spot a few times. I do think there are bette ways to handle it rather than smacking someone. 

🤣

Jada packs a better punch then her beta Cuck.

SF has as much disdain towards the Oscars as the Grammys or any other awards show where the Hollywooders and Elite heap praise and more praise on themselves and each other so I didn't watch it. 

After the week of digesting the aftermath, I came to the conclusion that Mr. Smith acted irresponsibly and childish perhaps brought on by the past year of brutal news relative to his and Jada's "open" marriage that could have brought him to this point.  Mr. Rock is a comedian - A COMEDIAN and a pretty good one.  It has been reported he wasn't even aware that she had a medical condition and the joke was even a sideways comment almost that the Smiths seemed to enjoy (for a second anyway).  So while Will Smith is a great actor, has played many insane roles and done an awesome job on just about all of them over the years, he should have been the adult in the room and ignored a comment that maybe he didn't like, instead he acted like a spoiled big kid foul-mouthed bully and I for one lost a great deal of respect for him as a person (not as an actor). 

Also, it won't make me want to watch next year either, if that was the intention. 

• Thanks 1

The Hollywood idiots, "We don't condone violence."

Also the Hollywood idiots, "Here watch my movies (insert title of your choice here).  Also the Hollywood idiots....we support the predator Harvey Weinstein.

1 hour ago, Goose Liver said:

Bobref makes some good points, and I must concur with being too civilized. Talk about my wife and I will do the time for the crime! 

Was Will's outrage this public and heated w/ his wife's affair/s?  Asking for a friend.

• 5 weeks later...

SF wasn't the only one that noticed the hypocrisy......

https://nypost.com/2022/05/04/howard-stern-hollywood-f-ked-up-for-dave-chappelle-vs-will-smith/

He gave a Stern lecture.

Radio icon Howard Stern is tearing into Tinseltown, claiming they’re treating Oscar slapper Will Smith differently compared to Dave Chappelle’s attacker.

The 68-year-old shock jock criticized the supposed showbiz double standard during a Wednesday episode of “The Howard Stern Show.”

“This guy jumped up on stage and attacked Dave Chappelle,” Stern fumed into the mic, Mediaite reported. “As soon as that happened, did they let him go back to his seat and laugh and sit next to his wife and then give them an award? No! They took him backstage, they broke his arms and hands so bad.”

Or, perhaps the uproar over the Smith/Rock incident caused security folks to reevaluate how they handle such incidents. Some people are capable of learning.

And some people are “hypervigilant” for purported disparate treatment.

16 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Or, perhaps the uproar over the Smith/Rock incident caused security folks to reevaluate how they handle such incidents. Some people are capable of learning.

And some people are “hypervigilant” for purported disparate treatment.

SO who do you think got what they deserved?  I'm not saying the "punishment" was wrong - I'm (and Mr. Stern as well) just pointing out the difference in the elitist's response to the actual incidents.  (ie - an outpouring of sympathy towards Will Smith -VS- silence and ignoring).  Granted - the guy attacking Chappelle was armed and absolutely deserved to be taken down aggressively, but the silence from the previously outspoken is deafening......anyone who gets offended by a comedian/entertainer to the point they charge the stage shouldn't have been there to begin with. 

These people probably wouldn't have been able to handle a Mel Brooks movie that's for sure......

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, swordfish said:

This actually checks out.......Wonder how much Will Smith and Chris Rock paid?

277767299_5046782688694290_3978100861935416736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9oAsgGGG5SkAX822RgC&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AT-es2jrc-SLiETG2Flnri3aEnLHqxCsAtSHn3UF49Apbg&oe=628462A5

I wonder if Mr. Davies takes his aluminum foil helmet off when he goes to bed at night.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, Bobref said:

I wonder if Mr. Davies takes his aluminum foil helmet off when he goes to bed at night.

Yeah, your probably right.....Pfizer wouldn't plan anything remotely close to this.  Just a coincidence.....

1 hour ago, swordfish said:

Yeah, your probably right.....Pfizer wouldn't plan anything remotely close to this.  Just a coincidence.....

You vastly overrate the ability of people to:

1. Plan a conspiracy that will actually work; and
  2. Keep it a secret once they’ve done it.

On the other hand, it does fit with your usual, tiresome narrative.

15 minutes ago, Bobref said:

2. Keep it a secret once they’ve done it.

On the other hand, it does fit with your usual, tiresome narrative.

Sure........But does it hurt to question the potential of such an event?

BTW - SF is a little tired of your narrative as well, but I will always respect it.  Maybe that's the difference between us......and perhaps what triggers you?

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Which is why they need FBI or CIA informants to do it for them........................

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...