Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blue Bloods - Indiana High School Football

12 hours ago, temptation said:

LOL.  I love the “college basketball is better when” take by all of the talking heads.  

College basketball is the last great hope for the underdog/little guy.  The St. Peter’s, FGCU, VCU, George Mason’s and old Butler teams come to mind.  That is why the casual fan who doesn’t care about basketball, or the regular season tunes in every March (plus the gambling element, lol).

The little guy has zero to no chance in high school or college football.  Hell, the closest thing we’ve had in the playoff era (Cincinnati) got their doors blown off  in the CFP and just became another victim of the vaunted SEC.

I will fill in the blank with my honest opinion…

"High school/college football is better when TEAMS FROM MULTIPLE GEOGRAPHIC AREAS are playing at a high level and competing for the championship." 

College basketball has this figured out (though the Big Ten/Pac 12’s dry spell is getting concerning).  The sport doesn’t “need” Indiana.  The Big Ten leads in college basketball attendance numbers annually despite the Hoosiers’ irrelevance.

Now, high school/college football?  There is a real concerning trend that has developed.  

NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THE SEC/CENTRAL INDY has a realistic shot at the big prize.

We can debate why all day, perhaps another conversation for another day…but the parallels are eerily similar and cannot be ignored.

Just my two cents.

I like seeing the traditional powers knock heads against one another no matter the level or sport. Do I prefer the underdog eventually winning the big show? Absolutely. I'd rather see St. Peters take down a traditional power for the title versus taking down Houston. Most people around the state were probably rooting for Carroll or Merrillville to take out Westfield. We all love that sort of stuff. 

What I'm finding more and more is that most people around the country still equate the name Indiana with basketball royalty. Obviously this is coming from middle age and retired men. But the message is out there. Indiana is still synonymous with basketball greatness, like it or not. The same can be said for the likes of Hobart, Penn, or whoever else you want to throw in there. Penn is absolutely a Blue Blood through and through. Fading fast? No. Fading slowly? Possibly. Their resume over the last 10 years is still pretty impressive. 

With the implementation of the transfer portal AND NIL, the definition of "Blue Blood" will be altered drastically.  Student athletes basically getting a free pass to transfer from one program to another without sitting out.... and the same student athletes signing NIL deals that sometimes rival pro contracts.  College programs will soon offer, whether it's public or not, a deal that athletes looking to transfer will be able to choose which school solely based on the worth of the NIL deal. Which means all those payments made by school supporters that used to be under the table, can very easily by made legal within the parameters of NIL. 

13 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

With the implementation of the transfer portal AND NIL, the definition of "Blue Blood" will be altered drastically.  Student athletes basically getting a free pass to transfer from one program to another without sitting out.... and the same student athletes signing NIL deals that sometimes rival pro contracts.  College programs will soon offer, whether it's public or not, a deal that athletes looking to transfer will be able to choose which school solely based on the worth of the NIL deal. Which means all those payments made by school supporters that used to be under the table, can very easily by made legal within the parameters of NIL. 

Blue Bloods will remain in tact I think. We're just going to see a whole new crop of powers...................Jackson State. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I like seeing the traditional powers knock heads against one another no matter the level or sport. Do I prefer the underdog eventually winning the big show? Absolutely. I'd rather see St. Peters take down a traditional power for the title versus taking down Houston. Most people around the state were probably rooting for Carroll or Merrillville to take out Westfield. We all love that sort of stuff. 

What I'm finding more and more is that most people around the country still equate the name Indiana with basketball royalty. Obviously this is coming from middle age and retired men. But the message is out there. Indiana is still synonymous with basketball greatness, like it or not. The same can be said for the likes of Hobart, Penn, or whoever else you want to throw in there. Penn is absolutely a Blue Blood through and through. Fading fast? No. Fading slowly? Possibly. Their resume over the last 10 years is still pretty impressive. 

Those same people assume that I love auto racing and go to the Indy 500 annually when I tell them I’m from Indianapolis.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Those same people assume that I love auto racing and go to the Indy 500 annually when I tell them I’m from Indianapolis.

Then according to the masses, you DO love the Indy 500 and go to it annually, even though you don't. 

If the masses say you are a Blue Blood, then you're probably a Blue Blood regardless of what the minority think. 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:12 AM, BTF said:

Evansville Memorial is currently in 2A. Regardless of class, they are a Blue Blood.

Some still consider IU a Blue Blood since they have 5 national championships. 

U probably also still consider Kelly Clarkson thin.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Then according to the masses, you DO love the Indy 500 and go to it annually, even though you don't. 

If the masses say you are a Blue Blood, then you're probably a Blue Blood regardless of what the minority think. 

Nah, to me being a member of "the masses" means it is more likely you are an idiot in this day and age.

#81million

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2022 at 12:57 PM, tango said:

I agree, but prior to 1985 it might be tough to glean much because some good teams missed out on the post-season due to the cluster-"you-know-what" of the cluster system... 

More good teams were left out before the cluster systems . I swear to God there was.

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Nah, to me being a member of "the masses" means it is more likely you are an idiot in this day and age.

#81million

You have a valid point. Not as it relates to this topic though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BTF said:

You have a valid point. Not as it relates to this topic though.

Sure it does.  Just because something is widely accepted as fact by a majority of people doesn’t make it true.  We hear idioms in sports all of the time that simply have zero factual basis.

”It’s hard to beat a team three times.”

”Defense wins championships.”

”The team that runs the ball and controls the time of possession has an advantage.”

These are some of the claims just off the top of my head made by many fans of the sport (and even some of the talking heads who get PAID to cover the sport) that have limited, if any factual data to back them up.

Edited by temptation

5 hours ago, temptation said:

Sure it does.  Just because something is widely accepted as fact by a majority of people doesn’t make it true.  We hear idioms in sports all of the time that simply have zero factual basis.

”It’s hard to beat a team three times.”

”Defense wins championships.”

”The team that runs the ball and controls the time of possession has an advantage.”

These are some of the claims just off the top of my head made by many fans of the sport (and even some of the talking heads who get PAID to cover the sport) that have limited, if any factual data to back them up.

Illustrating just one of my points above, of the last 10 NFL Super Bowl champions, SEVEN have had higher ranked offenses than defenses for the season when total yards are calculated, including the last five in a row.  

Perhaps at one time, the "defense wins championships" mantra was true, but the current data says otherwise.  That doesn't stop folks from trotting this one out annually however.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Illustrating just one of my points above, of the last 10 NFL Super Bowl champions, SEVEN have had higher ranked offenses than defenses for the season when total yards are calculated, including the last five in a row.  

Perhaps at one time, the "defense wins championships" mantra was true, but the current data says otherwise.  That doesn't stop folks from trotting this one out annually however.

Nah....it just got changed to "Red Zone Defense wins championships" 😂😂

On 4/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, Donnie Baker said:

More good teams were left out before the cluster systems . I swear to God there was.

But before the cluster cluster, there wasn't anything to be left out of though, right? I gotta go. 

On 4/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, temptation said:

Interesting stat. It makes sense at the NFL level. The talent of the players is so off the charts, a team can prosper by slinging the football through the air. I think it's different at the high school and college level though. Especially high school. Maybe I'm an idiot, but if I'm a coach, I building my team around defense, ground game, and limited punting. 

How did Vince Lombardi put it? "There are four potential outcomes when passing the football, and three of them are bad."

• Like 1

Here is the spreadsheet I created. I did it on the fly here at work, and copied the numbers from the IHSAA and John Harrells sites. But there could be some mistakes since I had to manually enter a lot of the info.

It gives points for each title won, but it's formulated different from the IHSAA success factor points.

It gives 1 point for Sectionals won, 2 points for Regionals won, 3 points for a Semi State, and 4 for winning the state. However it totals all the points for the same season, so if you win State, it's actually giving you 10 points. (1+2+3+4) State runner up would be 6 points (1+2+3) etc.....

I didn't have the time to go year by year to just award points on the furthest step a team advanced to.

FB SUCCESS POINTS.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gatorguy said:

Here is the spreadsheet I created. I did it on the fly here at work, and copied the numbers from the IHSAA and John Harrells sites. But there could be some mistakes since I had to manually enter a lot of the info.

It gives points for each title won, but it's formulated different from the IHSAA success factor points.

It gives 1 point for Sectionals won, 2 points for Regionals won, 3 points for a Semi State, and 4 for winning the state. However it totals all the points for the same season, so if you win State, it's actually giving you 10 points. (1+2+3+4) State runner up would be 6 points (1+2+3) etc.....

I didn't have the time to go year by year to just award points on the furthest step a team advanced to.

FB SUCCESS POINTS.xlsx 23.81 kB · 4 downloads

Great stuff.  Thanks for the hard work.

Take the night off.

2 hours ago, Gatorguy said:

FB SUCCESS POINTS.xlsx 23.81 kB · 12 downloads

I second that. Good work!

On 4/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, tango said:

But before the cluster cluster, there wasn't anything to be left out of though, right? I gotta go. 

First couple of years,

3 classes , 4 teams each, qualified with points for each win. South Bend St Joe went undefeated 2 years in a row but didn’t qualify so they sued or threatened to. Then the cluster was created. Lasted about 2 years. Now everyone gets a shot. STATE LAW 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

First couple of years,

3 classes , 4 teams each, qualified with points for each win. South Bend St Joe went undefeated 2 years in a row but didn’t qualify so they sued or threatened to. Then the cluster was created. Lasted about 2 years. Now everyone gets a shot. STATE LAW 

and then in the cluster, Penn and Elkhart Central, I believe were in the same and played first game of the season. Winner of that game basically made the playoffs while the loser had no chance. 

In the first year of the cluster, we ended up in a 3 way tie between us (WC), Lawrence North and Perry Meridian. The tie breakers were all OT segments; put the ball on the 10 and you have 4 downs to score. A coin flip determined the first two teams to face off, so we faced LN. It was cold and raining all week; this was a Wednesday night with the sectional against Washington to be played Friday. We matched scores in round 1 with LN. They scored first in round 2, and we got to 4th down. We had a TE wide open in the middle just inside the goal line. George slipped as he threw and it one hopped. We were done. Next PM comes out, fumbles first play and LN recovers. LN kicks a FG on their first play and wins. They lost to a REALLY good Washington team that Friday night. Washington made it to the State final, and lost to Penn.