Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blue Bloods - Indiana High School Football

17 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

Why was Lures and Scecinas put in 3A? 

I played for Luers in 1973 and 1974. 73 was the last year for one class, that year Luers ended up #2, #3 and #4 in the 3 polls that they had back then. Luers had around 800 students at the time. There was no way the IHSAA was going let Luers play in 1a. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jakone said:

I played for Luers in 1973 and 1974. 73 was the last year for one class, that year Luers ended up #2, #3 and #4 in the 3 polls that they had back then. Luers had around 800 students at the time. There was no way the IHSAA was going let Luers play in 1a. 

73 was the first year for the classes/playoff. I think Scecina had a similar enrollment number back then. 

On 4/9/2022 at 9:37 PM, Grover said:

1975 CG Trojans went 10-0 but didn't make the playoffs.

Sheridan was 10-0 in 1975 and didn't qualify for the 1A tourney.  They were 9-1 in 76 and qualified.

We were 10-0 in 1980 and still had a chance to not make it.  We did and won the state title.

The points system was just as bad as the cluster system.  Let 'em all in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

Sheridan was 10-0 in 1975 and didn't qualify for the 1A tourney.  They were 9-1 in 76 and qualified.

We were 10-0 in 1980 and still had a chance to not make it.  We did and won the state title.

The points system was just as bad as the cluster system.  Let 'em all in.

I still can’t believe how bad Sheridan beat North Judsons in 80. I swear to God I can’t. 

14 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I still can’t believe how bad Sheridan beat North Judsons in 80. I swear to God I can’t. 

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the size of a man.  That little front 7 were some pretty darn good football players.

24 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

It's not the size of the man in the fight, but the fight in the size of a man.  That little front 7 were some pretty darn good football players.

First rule of football that I learned when I moved to Texas when I was 12, except that ours was, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

On 4/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, Irishman said:

They were good. We played them in sectionals in 84, and only beat them by 2. They had no one who could really kick, so they went for 2 each time they scored.....and missed each time. A couple years later, I was able to spend some time talking football with Coach Springer. What a great experience that was. Long after he retired, he and my uncle were regulars at the OTB in Indy and were good friends going back to their HS days. I always enjoyed chatting with him when I would meet them there. 

Indy Washington was the perfect opposite of "blue blood." Played with the chip of a true underdog with something to prove.

• Like 1

Certain names come to mind when I think of the traditional teams of Indiana High School Football. Some may be on their way in and some may be on their way out. Either way you look at it, here are the ones that come to my mind:

Carmel

Ben Davis

Cathedral

Chatard

Center Grove

Penn 

Roncalli

Bloomington South

Sheridan

LCC

Hobart

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

Certain names come to mind when I think of the traditional teams of Indiana High School Football. Some may be on their way in and some may be on their way out. Either way you look at it, here are the ones that come to my mind:

Carmel

Ben Davis

Cathedral

Chatard

Center Grove

Penn 

Roncalli

Bloomington South

Sheridan

LCC

Hobart

No Warren huh?  Wow.  They need a NINTH state championship to make the cut, lol?

28 minutes ago, temptation said:

No Warren huh?  Wow.  They need a NINTH state championship to make the cut, lol?

Luers has to be on that list as well. Too tough to do a a true blue blood list in high school football. Too many classes therefore too many titles to go around. Blue-blood status is an extremely exclusive title. 

4 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I think "blue blood" is more about sustained excellence than number of championships.

The top of the list is Cathedral who has won championships in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and 20s

I may have missed someone who tied that mark

That's how I interpret it as well and why some people still consider Indiana basketball a blue blood. Championships in 4 different decades spanning multiple coaches. They haven't been great the last 25 years, but I think it takes a hell lot longer than 25 years to establish blue-blood status and should take every bit as long, if not longer, to lose it. 

7 minutes ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I think "blue blood" is more about sustained excellence than number of championships.

The top of the list is Cathedral who has won championships in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, and 20s

I may have missed someone who tied that mark

Luers has all of them except 20s. So far.

3 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Honest mistake on that one lol. Yes. Warren central in the top 5 of course.

Luers isn't even a debate. In fact Luers could argue Top 5. Snider and Dwenger are both in there, no question. Interesting that not one Fort Wayne team came to your mind. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

That's how I interpret it as well and why some people still consider Indiana basketball a blue blood. Championships in 4 different decades spanning multiple coaches. They haven't been great the last 25 years, but I think it takes a hell lot longer than 25 years to establish blue-blood status and should take every bit as long, if not longer, to lose it. 

Gotta eventually get a coaching hire right.

• Like 1

I think it was said earlier - but it would have been interesting to see this list 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and who would have been included then and who isn't now. Two "smaller" schools from Michiana that I personally have always viewed as "blue blood" programs that I don't think have been mentioned yet are Jimtown and NorthWood.

The Jimmies have 22 Sectional, 12 Regional, 6 Semi-State and 4 State Championships. However, the last of each of those titles respectively are 2014, 2009, 2005 and 2005. Since the school has grown into a 3A enrollment, they have not seen the same level of postseason success that they did for the better part of 3 decades.

The Panthers have 18 Sectional, 11 Regional, 6 Semi-State and 1 State Championships. As the case is with the Jimmies, since they moved into class 4A a little over a decade ago, they won a Sectional Championship in 2011 and were State Runner-Ups (14-1 record) in 2016. It has been tougher sledding for NorthWood since moving to 4A.

I still consider both of these programs to be "blue blood" status. However, that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I think it was said earlier - but it would have been interesting to see this list 10 years ago, 20 years ago, and who would have been included then and who isn't now. Two "smaller" schools from Michiana that I personally have always viewed as "blue blood" programs that I don't think have been mentioned yet are Jimtown and NorthWood.

The Jimmies have 22 Sectional, 12 Regional, 6 Semi-State and 4 State Championships. However, the last of each of those titles respectively are 2014, 2009, 2005 and 2005. Since the school has grown into a 3A enrollment, they have not seen the same level of postseason success that they did for the better part of 3 decades.

The Panthers have 18 Sectional, 11 Regional, 6 Semi-State and 1 State Championships. As the case is with the Jimmies, since they moved into class 4A a little over a decade ago, they won a Sectional Championship in 2011 and were State Runner-Ups (14-1 record) in 2016. It has been tougher sledding for NorthWood since moving to 4A.

I still consider both of these programs to be "blue blood" status. However, that is just my opinion.

Jimtown would’ve been next on my list. Just haven’t heard much of them lately, but then again I could be wrong. NorthWood has always been a good program as well

14 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Jimtown would’ve been next on my list. Just haven’t heard much of them lately, but then again I could be wrong. NorthWood has always been a good program as well

Jimtown definitely falls into the category of "If you asked this question in 2010" who would have been included. They have now gone 7 seasons without a sectional championship, 12 seasons without a regional championship, and haven't made it to semi-state in 16 years. They are like the "Indiana basketball" version of "Blue Blood"... the clock is slowly ticking away to keep their status.

7 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I'm currently working on some spreadsheets which will show how teams have fared over the years.

I hope to have them all completed and posted here in the next couple of days.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I'm still curious as to why Luers doesn't come to mind. 

Luers: 25 sectional titles, 20 Regional titles, 16 semi-state titles, and 11 state championships.