Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OFFICIAL: New classes announced

A few changes from what we had expected ... 

Bishop Chatard listed in Class 3A (instead of success bump to 4A). Adjustment in Culver Academies' enrollment pushes them to 4A. River Forest was on the 2A/3A line, they go up to 3A. 

Class changes

New in 6A
Zionsville (up)
Jeffersonville (up)
FW Northrop (up)
Cathedral (up-success)

New in 5A
Chesterton (down)
Merrillville (down)
FW Snider (down)
Hammond Morton (up)

New in 4A
Kokomo (down)
Bedford NL (down)
New Palestine (down)
Ind. Washington (up)
Ev. Bosse (up)
Brebeuf (up)
Edgewood (up)
SB Washington (up)

New in 3A
Delta (down)
SB Clay (down)
Madison (down)
South Dearborn (down)
Ind. Chatard (down)
Griffith (down)
Purdue Poly - Indy (new)
Woodlan (up)
Speedway (up)
Fairfield (up)
Monrovia (up)
Boone Grove (up)
Western Boone (up)

New in 2A
Benton Central (down)
Brown County (down)
Ind. Ritter (down)
Brownstown (down)
Greencastle (down)
Sullivan (down)
Churubusco (up)
Lake Station (up)
Winamac (up)

New in 1A
North Newton (down)
Gary Bowman (down)
Dugger Union (new)

NOTE: FW Dwenger (5A) and Lafayette Catholic (2A) will be reevaluated and possibly moved back down a class if they do not win a sectional title this upcoming year. 

Official classes

Maps of each classification

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Bishop Chatard listed in Class 3A (instead of success bump to 4A)

Adjustment in Culver Academies' enrollment pushes them to 4A

River Forest was on the 2A/3A line, they go up to 3A. 

Official classes

Brebeuf in for Chatard in 22. 

New Pal easily slides into 21, pushing Muncie Central North, wouldn't you think?

Edgewood and Bedford N-L take Madison and South Dearborn's spots in 23 (dropped to 3A).

Evansville Bosse joins 24, probably pushing Northview to 22 (and Frankfort/Western north).

Almost too logical, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Eh, it looks like they might be entering S23, since South Dearborn and Madison are exiting out from S23

Edgewood moved from 3A to 4A and Bedford North Lawrence moved from 5A down to 4A.  They have to go somewhere.  Northview could stay in S24 and make it an 8 Teamer, but there still will be a bye somewhere in South between 21-24. 

• Like 1

6A is pretty cut and dried in the south

5: Brownsburg, Avon, Ben Davis, Pike
6: Cathedral, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central, North Central
7: Southport, Perry Meridian, Tech, Warren Central
8: Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North, Jeffersonville

The north is a mess because there are nine schools north of US 24 and seven south of it. 

1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Portage, Lafayette Jeff
2: Penn, Elkhart, Warsaw, Carroll
3: FW Northrop, Homestead, Hamilton Southeastern, Fishers
4: Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield, Noblesville

Logic: HSE/Fishers are right off I-69, so they have easier access to Fort Wayne despite being farther south than Westfield/Noblesville. Jeff fits neatly into Sectional 1 as it's off I-65 and pretty much equidistant from the Region and Hamilton County. 

Another option

1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Portage, Penn
2: Elkhart, Warsaw, FW Northrop, Carroll
3: HSE, Fishers, Homestead, Noblesville
4: Westfield, Zionsville, Lafayette Jeff, Carmel

Here, eight of the nine northern teams stay in Sectionals 1 & 2, although they are more spread out (Penn/Elkhart get split), Jeff gets a *slightly* shorter drive and only Homestead gets sent south instead of two FW-area schools. 

5A is interesting because of the "pairs" in the south that are largely interchangeable. 

9/10/11 are extremely cut-and-dried and obvious: 

9: Hammond Central, Hammond Morton, Merrillville, Munster
10: Chesterton, Valpo, Michigan City, LaPorte
11: SB Adams, Mishawaka, Concord, Goshen

Then it gets dicey. You have three Fort Wayne schools, two Lafayette-area schools and Anderson sitting on an island. While it will be ridiculous travel, it makes sense to keep the Tippecanoe County schools together and make Anderson travel. That also makes the rest of the map fit together. 

12: FW Dwenger, FW North, FW Snider, Anderson
13: Harrison, McCutcheon, Decatur Central, Plainfield
(Another option would be Dwenger/North/Snider/Harrison and McCutcheon/Anderson/DC/Plainfield, but this makes less sense)

The rest of the state is a bunch of pairs. 
Option 1 (most likely)
14: TH North/TH South, Bloomington North/Bloomington South
15: Franklin, Whiteland, Columbus East, Seymour
16: Ev. North, Castle, Floyd Central, New Albany

Logic: SR 46 connects Terre Haute & Bloomington, they're about an hour apart. 
The Sectional 15 teams are connected via I-65 and are in adjoining counties
Sectional 16 - I-64 connects the Evansville & Falls City areas. It's easier/quicker for the EVV teams to get to the Falls City area than it is to make the drive up U.S. 41 to Terre Haute. 

Option 2 
14: Franklin, Whiteland, Bloomington North, Bloomington South
15: Columbus East, Seymour, Floyd Central, New Albany
16: TH North, TH South, Ev. North, Castle

Option 3 (highly unlikely)
14: TH North, TH South, Franklin, Whiteland
16: Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Ev. North, Castle
(this would've been unthinkable prior to I-69)

4A South is a complete mess because of South Dearborn & Madison leaving East Central on an island ... as well as Northview sitting on an island in western Indiana. 

17: East Chicago, Gary West, Highland, Hobart, Lowell, Kankakee Valley, New Prairie, SB Washington
18: SB St. Joseph, SB Riley, Plymouth, Culver Military, NorthWood, Wawasee, Northridge, Columbia City
19: Angola, DeKalb, East Noble, Leo, New Haven, FW South, FW Wayne, Huntington North
17/18: six teams fit together well in 17 and New Prairie makes sense as the seventh. The question is, who is the eighth - do you send Culver, which is a longer trip and keep the SB schools together, or do you send SB Washington? 

18/19: You have seven schools in the "north central" area and nine in what I consider the Northeast Corner/Fort Wayne area. One of them has to go west. East Noble would probably be the one that would fit most geographically to go west, but that would cut them off from the other Northeast Corner teams. Columbia City is the westernmost school of the NEC/FW-area schools, so they got moved. 

20: Jay County, Muncie Central, Marion, Mississinewa, Kokomo, Western, Logansport, Frankfort. This one is spread-out, but pretty easy. 

The four southern sectionals are a problem because of the outliers. The questions - which is the 7-team sectional, what to do with East Central and what to do with Northview. 

Here was my best guess

21: Lebanon, Brebeuf, I. Shortridge, I. Attucks, I. Washington, Beech Grove, Roncalli, Northview (logic of placing Northview here: U.S. 40 connects it with Indy)
22: New Palestine, Greenfield-Central, Mt. Vernon, Pendleton Heights, New Castle, Richmond, Connersville, East Central 
23: BNL, Jennings County, Edgewood, Shelbyville, Martinsville, Mooresville, Greenwood (made this the 7-team sectional because of the travel)
24: Jasper, Boonville, Ev. Harrison, Ev. Bosse, Ev. Memorial, Ev. Reitz, Ev. Central, Silver Creek

45 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

The north is a mess because there are nine schools north of US 24 and seven south of it. 

1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Portage, Lafayette Jeff
2: Penn, Elkhart, Warsaw, Carroll
3: FW Northrop, Homestead, Hamilton Southeastern, Fishers
4: Carmel, Zionsville, Westfield, Noblesville

Should be eight south of 24 in a couple of years as Harrison's going to grow into 6A even without a 5A SF victim.

3A in the far south looks pretty straightforward. They are really clustered pretty well together. 

Corydon
North Harrison
Salem
Scottsburg
Charlestown
Madison
South Dearborn
Lawrenceburg

Southridge
Heritage Hills 
Mt. Vernon
Gibson Southern
Princeton
Pike Central
Washington
Vincennes Lincoln

4 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Bishop Chatard listed in Class 3A (instead of success bump to 4A)

Adjustment in Culver Academies' enrollment pushes them to 4A

River Forest was on the 2A/3A line, they go up to 3A. 

Official classes

Culver academy was 4A last year 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

3A in the far south looks pretty straightforward. They are really clustered pretty well together. 

Corydon
North Harrison
Salem
Scottsburg
Charlestown
Madison
South Dearborn
Lawrenceburg

Southridge
Heritage Hills 
Mt. Vernon
Gibson Southern
Princeton
Pike Central
Washington
Vincennes Lincoln

You would think that….but for the last few years princeton and Vincennes have been in a sectional that made it possible to have a semi state game with Gibson Southern and other Evansville area schools 

5 hours ago, Sledge said:

Can someone explain Bishop Chatard being in 3A instead of 4A? After just one year in 4A?

"Additionally, with the pandemic delaying reclassification for a year but the Tournament Success Factor still being applied, discussion continued on what to do with schools playing in a higher classification. The IHSAA Executive Committee has determined that the eight schools who earned at least one point this school year (2021-22) to continue playing in a higher classification due to the Tournament Success Factor, will be reevaluated after the 2022-23 school year and adjusted accordingly. Schools who failed to earn a point during the 2021-22 school year while playing in a higher class were returned to the next lower class for the next two years. This was to prevent schools from playing three consecutive years in a higher classification when their tournament results do not merit that placement."

Basically, Chatard lost in the sectional last year and thus did not get a Success Factor point, so they went back to 3A. LCC & Dwenger both won their respective sectional titles last year but lost in the regional. Because they did get a Success Factor point (halfway to the two needed to stay up), they were kept up for one year and will be reevaluated next year (which could cause a bit of a mess with regards to 5A as it might leave a 3-team sectional, as I doubt Kokomo will be moved up to replace them). If they win the sectional, they stay up ... if they lose, they go back down for one year. 

2 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

5A is interesting because of the "pairs" in the south that are largely interchangeable. 

9/10/11 are extremely cut-and-dried and obvious: 

9: Hammond Central, Hammond Morton, Merrillville, Munster
10: Chesterton, Valpo, Michigan City, LaPorte
11: SB Adams, Mishawaka, Concord, Goshen

Then it gets dicey. You have three Fort Wayne schools, two Lafayette-area schools and Anderson sitting on an island. While it will be ridiculous travel, it makes sense to keep the Tippecanoe County schools together and make Anderson travel. That also makes the rest of the map fit together. 

12: FW Dwenger, FW North, FW Snider, Anderson
13: Harrison, McCutcheon, Decatur Central, Plainfield
(Another option would be Dwenger/North/Snider/Harrison and McCutcheon/Anderson/DC/Plainfield, but this makes less sense)

The rest of the state is a bunch of pairs. 
Option 1 (most likely)
14: TH North/TH South, Bloomington North/Bloomington South
15: Franklin, Whiteland, Columbus East, Seymour
16: Ev. North, Castle, Floyd Central, New Albany

Logic: SR 46 connects Terre Haute & Bloomington, they're about an hour apart. 
The Sectional 15 teams are connected via I-65 and are in adjoining counties
Sectional 16 - I-64 connects the Evansville & Falls City areas. It's easier/quicker for the EVV teams to get to the Falls City area than it is to make the drive up U.S. 41 to Terre Haute. 

Option 2 
14: Franklin, Whiteland, Bloomington North, Bloomington South
16: TH North, TH South, Ev. North, Castle

Option 3 (highly unlikely)
14: TH North, TH South, Franklin, Whiteland
16: Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Ev. North, Castle
(this would've been unthinkable prior to I-69)

How about a potential of Harrison and Mccutcheon with the terre hautes? 

If they went true north and south for the most southern schools you would get Bloomington N, Bloomington S, Columbus East, Seymour. And then Evansville N, Castle, Floyd, New Albany. 

Just curious. Quite a few ways to cut this up in my opinion. I think you are pretty spot on though.

Just now, Indiana Fan said:

How about a potential of Harrison and Mccutcheon with the terre hautes? 

If they went true north and south for the most southern schools you would get Bloomington N, Bloomington S, Columbus East, Seymour. And then Evansville N, Castle, Floyd, New Albany. 

Just curious. Quite a few ways to cut this up in my opinion. I think you are pretty spot on though.

That's *possible*, but there's really no great way to get from Lafayette to Terre Haute (231 to 74 to 63/41? 231 an hour south to Cloverdale and then another half-hour west on 70?).

In terms of drive time, McCutcheon/Harrison are both closer to Plainfield/DC than they are to Terre Haute (because of I-65), and the Terre Hautes are closer to Bloomington than they are to Lafayette. 

2 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Corydon
North Harrison
Salem
Scottsburg
Charlestown
Madison
South Dearborn
Lawrenceburg

Southridge
Heritage Hills 
Mt. Vernon
Gibson Southern
Princeton
Pike Central
Washington
Vincennes Lincoln

Those two are pretty obvious sectional pairings when you look at the overall map. The rest of the state is a royal pain to figure out in 3A. 

3 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

That's *possible*, but there's really no great way to get from Lafayette to Terre Haute (231 to 74 to 63/41? 231 an hour south to Cloverdale and then another half-hour west on 70?).

In terms of drive time, McCutcheon/Harrison are both closer to Plainfield/DC than they are to Terre Haute (because of I-65), and the Terre Hautes are closer to Bloomington than they are to Lafayette. 

Those two are pretty obvious sectional pairings when you look at the overall map. The rest of the state is a royal pain to figure out in 3A. 

Last two seasons, THS and Harrison have kicked off their respective seasons against each other.

22 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

I’m with ya. Just find it hard to believe and see that you could have a potential Whiteland sectional winner driving south to Evansville for regional. And a potential Bloomington sectional winner driving north up to Decatur or even up to Lafayette for regional. I know there are multiple routes but you could have the Whiteland bus driving south on I-69 passing a Bloomington bus coming north on.

7 hours ago, Sledge said:

Can someone explain Bishop Chatard being in 3A instead of 4A? After just one year in 4A?

Yes, I can explain it. The IHSAA crapped the bed.

Here is how Chatard has fared in the last 25 years (22 of 25 years in 3A, except where noted). Chatard has won the 3A state title in 13 of 22 tournaments over the past 25 years. If that doesn't scream MOVED UP DUE TO SUCCESS FACTOR, I do not know what does.   

97-State Champ

98-State Champ

99-Lost in Sect (Roncalli-State Champ)

00-Lost in Sect (Heritage Hills-State Champ)

01-State Champ

02-State Champ

03-State Champ

04-Reg Champ (Andrean-State Champ)

05-Reg Champ (NorthWood-State Champ)

06-State Champ

07-State Champ

08-Reg Champ (Bellmont-State Champ)

09-Reg Champ (West Laf-State Champ)

10-State Champ

11-State Champ

12-State Champ

13-moved up to 4A, won Sect (Andrean-3A State Champ)

14-moved up to 4A, lost in Sect (Tri West-3A State Champ)

15-State Champ

16-Lost in Sect (FW Concordia-State Champ)

17-Sect Champ (Ev Memorial-State Champ)

18-Reg Champ (West Laf-State Champ)

19-State Champ

20-State Champ

21-moved up to 4A, lost in Sect (Gibson So-3A State Champ) 

• Like 2

I guess I didn't finish my thought. For the programs (8 schools across 5 sports) who moved up in 2021-22 & earned 1 point (won Sectional) in the higher class this school year, the IHSAA is going to keep them in that higher class for 2022-23 & then adjust accordingly. I assume that means the IHSAA will bump that program down to their enrollment class for 2023-24 if they do NOT earn 1 or more points in 2022-23. 

Sooooooooooooooooo, Mr IHSAA, I have to ask.........if you're going to commit to some wait & see mid-cycle downward adjustments, WHY NOT ALSO DO THAT FOR THE OTHER PROGRAMS WHO JUST MOVED UP FOR 1 SEASON BUT DID NOT EARN A POINT IN 2022-23??? I have not looked at the other sports yet but in football, there is ONE SCHOOL who benefits from this questionable decision-- CHATARD & their 15 state titles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Boone Grove, Calumet, Griffith, Hanover Central, Resselaer Central, River Forest, Twin Lakes, West Lafayette

Clay, Fairfield, Jimtown, John Glenn, Knox, Lakeland, Marian, West Noble

Bellmont, Concordia, Delta, Garrett, Heritage, Norwell, Woodlan, Yorktown

Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Heights, Maconaquah, Northwestern, Oak Hill, Peru, Tippecanoe Valley, Western Boone

Crawfordsville, Danville, Monrovia, North Montgomery, Owen Valley, Speedway, Tri-West, West Vigo

Batesville, Centerville, Chatard, Franklin County, Greensburg, Indian Creek, Purdue Polytechnic, Rushville

Charlestown, Corydon, Lawrenceburg, Madison, North Harrison, Salem, Scottsburg, South Dearborn

Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, Mt. Vernon, Pike Central, Princeton, Southridge, Vincennes Lincoln, Washington

13 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Bishop Chatard listed in Class 3A (instead of success bump to 4A). Adjustment in Culver Academies' enrollment pushes them to 4A. River Forest was on the 2A/3A line, they go up to 3A. 

Class changes

New in 6A
Zionsville (up)
Jeffersonville (up)
FW Northrop (up)
Cathedral (up-success)

New in 5A
Chesterton (down)
Merrillville (down)
FW Snider (down)
Hammond Morton (up)

New in 4A
Kokomo (down)
Bedford NL (down)
New Palestine (down)
Ind. Washington (up)
Ev. Bosse (up)
Brebeuf (up)
Edgewood (up)
SB Washington (up)

New in 3A
Delta (down)
SB Clay (down)
Madison (down)
South Dearborn (down)
Ind. Chatard (down)
Griffith (down)
Purdue Poly - Indy (new)
Woodlan (up)
Speedway (up)
Fairfield (up)
Monrovia (up)
Boone Grove (up)
Western Boone (up)

New in 2A
Benton Central (down)
Brown County (down)
Ind. Ritter (down)
Brownstown (down)
Greencastle (down)
Sullivan (down)
Churubusco (up)
Lake Station (up)
Winamac (up)

New in 1A
North Newton (down)
Gary Bowman (down)
Dugger Union (new)

NOTE: FW Dwenger (5A) and Lafayette Catholic (2A) will be reevaluated and possibly moved back down a class if they do not win a sectional title this upcoming year. 

Official classes

Snider didn't move down, they were 5A last year. 

5 hours ago, XStar said:

Boone Grove, Calumet, Griffith, Hanover Central, Resselaer Central, River Forest, Twin Lakes, West Lafayette

Clay, Fairfield, Jimtown, John Glenn, Knox, Lakeland, Marian, West Noble

Bellmont, Concordia, Delta, Garrett, Heritage, Norwell, Woodlan, Yorktown

Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Heights, Maconaquah, Northwestern, Oak Hill, Peru, Tippecanoe Valley, Western Boone

Crawfordsville, Danville, Monrovia, North Montgomery, Owen Valley, Speedway, Tri-West, West Vigo

Batesville, Centerville, Chatard, Franklin County, Greensburg, Indian Creek, Purdue Polytechnic, Rushville

Charlestown, Corydon, Lawrenceburg, Madison, North Harrison, Salem, Scottsburg, South Dearborn

Gibson Southern, Heritage Hills, Mt. Vernon, Pike Central, Princeton, Southridge, Vincennes Lincoln, Washington

2a alignment thoughts??