Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

OFFICIAL: New classes announced

4 hours ago, foxbat said:

If Chatard's back in 3A, don't be surprised to see the resurgence of the Sectional of Death minus Brebeuf.  That will put Guerin, Chatard, and honorary P/P, West Lafayette, in the same sectional again.

I'd be surprised.  There should be zero chance Chatard or anyone in Marion county is in the north.  

I”ll ask the same (apparently idiotic) question I’ve been asking since this whole debate started.  

Just why can’t the adjustment be made until the end of the two year period (at the end of next year) as it should have been done normally?  

Why the urgency to make bumps/drops/adjustments a year early?

If I were a conspiracy guy I would say that its all because the IHSAA just couldn’t wait to bump Cathedral to 6A and had to validate that decision somehow…..but then I’m no conspiracy guy…..

With that, I’m as ticked off as anybody about Chatard getting moved down to 3A.  I really thought they could make a deep run in 4A this year….almost certainly next year (if they could have stayed “up”).  Still, 3A has been a heckuva class the last few years and, apparently, Chatard is back in it.  

Looks like only Memorial will have the honor of pulling off the 3A/4A championship run for the time being.  

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 7

I would tell you that 3A-6A are pretty easy to sort through and get the sectionals in groups.  If you look at 1A and 2A there are several ways that the IHSAA can "slice the pie" to come up with sectionals.  There are natural rivials that might not end up in the same sectional and some that will.  The Marion County schools in these two classes will go all different directions.  Some folks will like the pie slicing and others will be very mad.

8 hours ago, Lysander said:

If I were a conspiracy guy I would say that its all because the IHSAA just couldn’t wait to bump Cathedral to 6A and had to validate that decision somehow…..but then I’m no conspiracy guy…..

Be interesting to see the new 6A South sectional alignment. Cathedral in a sectional with LC, LN, and North Central likely ensures the Irish will remain in 6A on an almost permanent basis (nothing wrong with that either). 

4A would have been a good barometer for Chatard. New Pal (I believe) will be loaded the next year or two and Kokomo bumping down strengthens 4A which in my opinion has been one of the weaker classes for sometime. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Be interesting to see the new 6A South sectional alignment. Cathedral in a sectional with LC, LN, and North Central likely ensures the Irish will remain in 6A on an almost permanent basis (nothing wrong with that either). 

4A would have been a good barometer for Chatard. New Pal (I believe) will be loaded the next year or two and Kokomo bumping down strengthens 4A which in my opinion has been one of the weaker classes for sometime. 

I’ve said it for years but 4A “was” most years consistently the best class pound for pound.  With that, its best teams have generally gone on to consistently be the dominant players in 5A and, on occasion, break into 6A…which has watered down 4A from its prior glory.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 7:36 PM, crimsonace1 said:

20: Jay County, Muncie Central, Marion, Mississinewa, Kokomo, Western, Logansport, Frankfort. This one is spread-out, but pretty easy. 

If this comes to pass the drive between Frankfort and Jay County is a ball buster, especially with $4 gallons of gas.  The IHSAA would need to kick in a gas stipend for such a ridiculous drive.  Or maybe both sides could agree on a neutral site, say at Alexandria, Frankton, or Elwood.

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

6A South very simple:

Pike, Brownsburg, Ben Davis, Avon

North Central, Cathedral, Lawrence North, Lawrence Central

Warren Central, Tech, Southport, Perry Meridian

Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North, Jeffersonville

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

I”ll ask the same (apparently idiotic) question I’ve been asking since this whole debate started.  

Just why can’t the adjustment be made until the end of the two year period (at the end of next year) as it should have been done normally?  

With that, I’m as ticked off as anybody about Chatard getting moved down to 3A.  I really thought they could make a deep run in 4A this year….almost certainly next year (if they could have stayed “up”).  Still, 3A has been a heckuva class the last few years and, apparently, Chatard is back in it.  

Looks like only Memorial will have the honor of pulling off the 3A/4A championship run for the time being.  

Very simply put, Success Factor adjustments come when reclassification happens. There was a reclassification *this* summer (which was put off by a year), but SF adjustments were made last year. That put the IHSAA in a very weird spot as it tries to realign the SF and reclassification years, so it went with a bit of a hybrid system that really affects seven programs across six sports. It's mostly back in line. 

While I've cynically figured most SF adjustments have been aimed at Cathedral, I don't think this is. It's an attempt to use the last two years to get back on-cycle. 

11 hours ago, Lysander said:

I'll tell you, as a coach at a 3A school, that has been shrinking for the last several years, we are tired of having an enrollment of ~680 and facing schools with enrollment of 1100+. Presumably a few other schools in similar situations, so we are pretty pumped about the change. 

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

I’ve said it for years but 4A “was” most years consistently the best class pound for pound.  With that, its best teams have generally gone on to consistently be the dominant players in 5A and, on occasion, break into 6A…which has watered down 4A from its prior glory.

4A was a meat grinder prior to the success factor. 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:24 AM, superjay said:

This all makes no sense.  Pioneer has a one time talent in Jack Kiser and hasn’t won state since 2018. Chatard wins state in 2019 & 2020.  Neither wins sectional in 2021.  Chatard goes down, Pioneer stays up.  I know what the rule says about points earned in a higher class.  But this just looks wrong.  IHSAA should have just reset everything to enrollment and started over.  

I get what you are saying, but one thing I really admire about the Pioneer program is they take on all comers and I have never heard them "complain".

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Best class in terms of parity if you ask me. 

Cathedral, Roncalli, Dwenger, Columbus East, Reitz, Lowell all very strong.

Agreed.  Very fun and exciting games for years.  Toss in Reitz too (at least when Lowell was having those consistent deep season runs in the mid-late 00's).

On 4/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, Punttheball said:

This makes sense to me in the 2A North.  Sectional 33 would have 7 with a bye.

33 - Whiting, Bishop Noll, Lake Station Edison, Andrean, Wheeler, Laville, Bremen

34 - Delphi, Pioneer, Winamac, Rochester, Cass, Wabash, Manchester, Whitko

35 - Prairie Heights, Eastside, Churubusco, Central Noble, Luers, Bluffton, Eastbrook

36 - Eastern (Greentown), Tipton, Elwood, Frankton, Alexandria, Lapel, Winchester, Blackford

Or multiple byes, depending on your draw...

8 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

I'm sure they are doing their best.  Just like Hamilton Heights the last four years.

Have they been doing less than stellar?  Do not follow the hh huskers.  I am paying homage to my guy Gonzo.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Am I mistaken, or did Pioneer’s classification drop from the original release? I thought when the initial classifications were released a few weeks ago they were 2A due to SF, but now the classification document has them in 1A. 

You are correct, we were 2A when this initially came out. This has to be some kind of system error/ typo. 

8 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

You are correct, we were 2A when this initially came out. This has to be some kind of system error/ typo. 

Pioneer *should* be 2A because it won a regional in 2020. Curious if this was just an error on the IHSAA's part that will be rectified when they announce the sectional assignments. 

9 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

1 minute ago, crimsonace1 said:

Pioneer *should* be 2A because it won a regional in 2020. Curious if this was just an error on the IHSAA's part that will be rectified when they announce the sectional assignments. 

LCC's still up in 2A after one season and winning a sectional, so it would seem to make sense that Pioneer would still be in 2A after having picked up a regional.  Keeping LCC up didn't even technically meet the regular point total allotments since they'd only been in 2A for a single season unless the IHSAA combines their 1A regional points with their 2A sectional.  The question in LCC's case is whether the IHSAA considers a reclassification period as an enrollment reclassification period, a Success Factor determination, or either.  Used to be that reclassification and Success Factor came at the same time until COVID period.  In either case, it would seem that Pioneer qualifies for 2A given that LCC is there in 2A as well.

With the updated list with Pioneer in 1A, did anyone gets bumped up from 1A to compensate for the Pioneer move or was it just Pioneer moved down?  If it was the former, that also means that someone's in 2A that's going to be dropping down to 1A when this is rectified.

15 minutes ago, foxbat said:

With the updated list with Pioneer in 1A, did anyone gets bumped up from 1A to compensate for the Pioneer move or was it just Pioneer moved down?  If it was the former, that also means that someone's in 2A that's going to be dropping down to 1A when this is rectified.

Eastern Hancock was the school that moved up to 2A to compensate for Pioneer going back down to 1A. 

46 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Eastern Hancock was the school that moved up to 2A to compensate for Pioneer going back down to 1A. 

They've been yo-yo'd between 1A and 2A before with enrollment as opposed to SF yo-yoing.