Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - 12 things Id like to see

Guest DT

1. Id like to see Bart Curtis shock the state and win a Class 6A title at Warsaw.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?  

2. Id like to see my beloved Highland Trojans win a Northwest Crossroads Conference championship  before Im officially worm food.  Coach Pete K has the program moving forward.  Not sure they can ever to get to the level of Lowell and Andrean, but its always good to have hope.

3. Id like to see 40 schools contract and Indiana High School Football get down to 280 programs.  That will eliminate the bottom feeders who dont give a damn, and improve overall competitive balance.

Class breakdown as follows :

6a - 32

5A - 54

4A - 54

3A - 54

2A - 54

1A - 32

4. Im glad to see that The SAC has dropped its full round robin and is opening up to non non competition.  Snider, Dwenger, Luers, Homestead are statewide brand names and will benefit from increased exposure.

5. Id like to see some more Indiana - Ohio  public school crossover matchups.  The Pickerington Central - Columbus East game should be very interesting.  

6. Id like to see jPenn just pull the plug and go full on Independent.  Given the recent schedule changes, its looks like the Kingsmen are heading in that direction.

7. Id like to see Lake Central hire a serious, driven and accomplished head football coach who can get the program turned and heading back on an upwards trajectory.  Its just dismal right now in St John.  Just as they opened a beautiful new football facility 5 years ago, the program went into the tank.  Is it fixable?  Not so sure.  I think the student body has gone soft.  

8. The Tom Allen vs Jeff Brohm 10 Year War may just be getting started.  Both schools are recruiting at a higher level, continue to invest in improved facilities, and have committed to long term extensions for their head coaches.  Brohm currently has the upper hand, but Id like to see Allen continue closing the gap.  

9. Id like to see the MIC expand and add Columbus North and Avon.  The league is getting a little stale.  Love what is happening at North Central, but can they maintain a long term rate of success to compete with the traditional MIC powers?  

10. Not convinced that Kyle Ralph will stay at New Pal for the long term.  Wouldn't you think he would get bored wining 66-6 every week?  Once you have destroyed all the local competition, its time to move on and conquer new lands.  I could see him possibly becoming a small college head coach.  Franklin?  Butler?  U of Indy?  Wabash?  etc etc

11. More inexperienced hires.  More lay coaches.  More retirements.  The combination results in the continued deterioration of coaching at the highschool level in Indiana.  This is a real concern, and widens the competitive gap between the haves and the have nots.  Id like to see the The IHSAA get involved and develop programs that encourage young teachers to get back in the coaching game, and stay for the long term.  Incentives are needed.  Its all about the Benjamins.

12. Football in the southwest region of the state seems to be getting better and better as other areas of the state continue to decline.  (Northwest Indiana, North Central Indiana)  Seems like there is more coaching stability in that part of the state.  Based on recent tournament results, the southwest is making big strides.  Kudos to The SIAC, The Big 8 and The PAC.  They are getting the job done.  Id like to see others areas of the state follow their lead and re prioritize football before its too late.

Edited by DT

41 minutes ago, DT said:

1. Id like to see Bart Curtis shock the state and win a Class 6A title at Warsaw.  Wouldn't that be a hoot?  

Yes... yes it would. But I'll go ahead and just settle for the school's first ever sectional football championship. Baby steps DT, baby steps lol

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Yes... yes it would. But I'll go ahead and just settle for the school's first ever sectional football championship. Baby steps DT, baby steps lol

I don't see that Coach Curtis is a guy who buys into the "baby steps" theory.  He is not a young man.  The clock is ticking.  He is on the back 9 and heading to the 16th tee.  Warsaw will go all out to make a tournament push while he is still the HC.  Time has come to set the bar much higher.  Warsaw has played down to a 4A level over the past decade due to its conference schedule.  BC will get them playing consistent 6A football very soon.  Anything short of a regional championship would be a disappointment.  

48 minutes ago, DT said:

4. Im glad to see that The SAC has dropped its full round robin and is opening up to non non competition.  Snider, Dwenger, Luers, Homestead are statewide brand names and will benefit from increased exposure.

7. Id like to see Lake Central hire a serious, driven and accomplished head football coach who can get the program turned and heading back on an upwards trajectory.  Its just dismal right now in St John.  Just as they opened a beautiful new football facility 5 years ago, the program went into the tank.  Is it fixable?  Not so sure.  I think the student body has gone soft.  

8. The Tom Allen vs Jeff Brohm 10 Year War may just be getting started.  Both schools are recruiting at a higher level, continue to invest in improved facilities, and have committed to long term extensions for their head coaches.  Brohm currently has the upper hand, but Id like to see Allen continue closing the gap.  

9. Id like to see the MIC expand and add Columbus North and Avon.  The league is getting a little stale.  Love what is happening at North Central, but can they maintain a long term rate of success to compete with the traditional MIC powers?  

10. Not convinced that Kyle Ralph will stay at New Pal for the long term.  Wouldn't you think he would get bored wining 66-6 every week?  Once you have destroyed all the local competition, its time to move on and conquer new lands.  I could see him possibly becoming a small college head coach.  Franklin?  Butler?  U of Indy?  Wabash?  etc etc

11. More inexperienced hires.  More lay coaches.  More retirements.  The combination results in the continued deterioration of coaching at the highschool level in Indiana.  This is a real concern, and widens the competitive gap between the haves and the have nots.  Id like to see the The IHSAA get involved and develop programs that encourage young teachers to get back in the coaching game, and stay for the long term.  Incentives are needed.  Its all about the Benjamins.

4.  I would love to see Snider/Dwenger vs a MIC team or Cathedral.  I think it would be great for the Ft. Wayne area and MIC schools.

7.  I was speaking with a co-worker (Graduated from Portage) and he claimed that most of the great coaching talent is going to Chicago to teach and coach for the money.  Not sure if that's true, but I was hoping you could shed some light on that for me.

8. Couldn't agree more!

9. Waste of time to add Columbus North, but Avon and possibly Cathedral would be interesting. 

10. Is small college his goal? Or will he try to go to a division one program as a coordinator? Or is he waiting for the right MIC job to open up--Center Grove is one that comes to mind

11. Many young coaches are leaving the profession for money and an increase in parent involvement/complaints.  But some young coaches are waiting for the right opportunity to open up where they can win right away.  There is some good young coaching talent in Indiana, but those guys are just waiting for certain jobs to open up.

11 minutes ago, Knight said:

4.  I would love to see Snider/Dwenger vs a MIC team or Cathedral.  I think it would be great for the Ft. Wayne area and MIC schools.

7.  I was speaking with a co-worker (Graduated from Portage) and he claimed that most of the great coaching talent is going to Chicago to teach and coach for the money.  Not sure if that's true, but I was hoping you could shed some light on that for me.

8. Couldn't agree more!

9. Waste of time to add Columbus North, but Avon and possibly Cathedral would be interesting. 

10. Is small college his goal? Or will he try to go to a division one program as a coordinator? Or is he waiting for the right MIC job to open up--Center Grove is one that comes to mind

11. Many young coaches are leaving the profession for money and an increase in parent involvement/complaints.  But some young coaches are waiting for the right opportunity to open up where they can win right away.  There is some good young coaching talent in Indiana, but those guys are just waiting for certain jobs to open up.

Conference Indiana continues to be a very unstable league.  Everyone in the conference would rather be somewhere else.  Eventually, what is left of the conference will break up, and the schools will migrate to other conferences where they can find long term stability.

The Bloomington schools likely to the Hoosier Hills.  Southport to an Indy based conference, probably the Circle City.  The Terre Haute schools will always be on the bubble given their remote geographic location.  Columbus North is the prime catch of the bunch.  I would think both the Hoosier Crossroads and The MIC would have interest in adding the school to its league.  CN has one of the all time best performing all sports programs in Indiana high school sports history.  Great fan support.  Excellent facilities.  Tradition.  And an easy drive down 65.  No big deal from a travel standpoint.  I think Cathedral would have joined The MIC already had they ever had serious interest.  The HCC might be a more attractive option now for Cathedral if they have continued conference affiliation aspirations.  

Frankly, I think the HCC has long term designs on overtaking The MIC.  They would be wise to secure all current members, including Avon, and go after CN and Cathedral to improve their overall competitive profile and get on an even keel with The MIC.  

Edited by DT

I think the HCC would make more sense for Columbus North.  They have had successful regular seasons the last 3 years (8-2, 9-2, 9-2) but have gotten beat by Center Grove each of the last three years.  Center Grove is definitely a top tier MIC school, but CN's history suggests that they would not be able to compete week in and week out in the MIC.

That being said, if CN could get some of the CE kids, then I think you would have a great argument for CN to join the MIC 

3 hours ago, Knight said:

Yes, all at Homewood-Flossmoor HS in the South Chicago Suburbs. Craig Buzea is the HC and he took Portage to the '94 5A Title game. Zac Wells is the DC and he won multiple Sectionals and Regionals as HC at Merrillville. They also have Alexander Pratt, who did wonders as HC at Gary West Side, so no telling what he could do at a Region school. I believe H-F has a few more Region guys on their staff. I know Albert Evans (Portage RB/Purdue DB) was on their staff recently as well. H-F doesn't have a large MIC'esque football stadium, but their indoor practice facility and weight room are insanely nice. They're also paying coaches and teachers very good money.

Regarding Lake Central, they should be the Penn of Northwest Indiana. The size of school and socio-economics are nearly identical. Lake Central's problem, IMO, is they'll have to have a saleman as a coach to convince kids to stay in the Tri-Cities of St. John, Dyer, and Schererville. Of course, win too. Andrean and Chicago Mt. Carmel routinely get quality football and baseball players out of Lake Central's district.

11 hours ago, DT said:

1. Would not surprise me to see a team get there in the near future. Their freshmen team was solid.

4. Is that official? I know there was a proposal, but Iwas thinking it was not a done deal.,

8. I agree, and for the good of football in this State, I too hope that Coach Allen can close the gap. 

9. Interesting concept, nothing wrong with trying it and mix things up a bit. 

11. This is not just a football issue. Look at what politicians are doing to education in general. A cost saving move is to get younger teachers with less experience. Education is one field now, because of the budget moves, where experience can be costly. While it is noce to think of the IHSAA doing something, the fact is the IHSAA is a member driven association...so no initiatives would be coming. 

18 hours ago, DT said:

12. Football in the southwest region of the state seems to be getting better and better as other areas of the state continue to decline.  (Northwest Indiana, North Central Indiana)  Seems like there is more coaching stability in that part of the state.  Based on recent tournament results, the southwest is making big strides.  Kudos to The SIAC, The Big 8 and The PAC.  They are getting the job done.  Id like to see others areas of the state follow their lead and re prioritize football before its too late.

As it stands now, the PAC and Big 8 are going to merge in 2020.  For anyone who hasn’t seen the thread, there will be 2 divisions. 1 big school 1 small school division. Mt Carmel (Illinois) has left the big 8 because Illinois is going to districts for post season formats...leaving the big 8 with 6 schools. Those 6 schools join the PAC.

Its going to be 2 divisions of 7. So 3 weeks for non conference games.  There are no plans to have the division champs play each other.

For GIbson Southern and Heritage Hills, they both are essentially dropping all of their 2A and 1A conference schedule and will now only play 3A and 4A conference foes.  Both are likely though to keep some small school competition for their “non conference games”.  These schools are likely South Spencer/Southridge for Heritage Hills and North Posey for GIbson Southern. I say “non conference” because these schools are still in the PAC but will be in the small school division 

more good things to come out of the Southwest.

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

18 hours ago, DT said:

3. Id like to see 40 schools contract and Indiana High School Football get down to 280 programs.  That will eliminate the bottom feeders who dont give a damn, and improve overall competitive balance.

5. Id like to see some more Indiana - Ohio  public school crossover matchups.  The Pickerington Central - Columbus East game should be very interesting.  

1.  Remembering the Phil Jenson led teams from 1999-2001. Bart Curtis appears to be heading in that direction. Inches from beating Penn in 2000 and inches from beating Snider in 2001.

3.  Great idea, but you'll get resistance on that like you always do.

4.  Right now it's just a thought, but I hope it comes to fruition. I enjoyed watching Snider play Penn and Cathedral. It brought larger crowds than playing some of the local competition.

5.  Coldwater Ohio (smaller school, but a major powerhouse) isn't too far from Fort Wayne. They came here one time. Elmhurst wanted relief from playing Snider and picked up Coldwater. Coldwater felt offended that they were a "relief" game. It was over after the first quarter.

8.  It's hard not to root for a guy like Tom Allen. I hope he can keep up with what Brohm is doing at Purdue. I see that the boilermakers cracked the Top 25 in recruiting this year. And Brohm ditching Louisville? I'm a fan.

10.  I love loyalty. I would like to see him stay at New Pal. But you are right, he has potential on a larger scale.

11.  Fort Wayne South. Matt Land in 2005. 11-3. Three points from a state title appearance. South Side has that potential, they just haven't had a coach to get them there.

12.  I remember when all you heard of from south of Indy was the city of Evansville and Bloomington South. I still have a hard time comprehending that the south has some pretty darn good football. Equal the north now?

• Like 1

A little disappointing, DT, that an out-of-the-box thinker like yourself hasn’t mentioned the officiating crisis that is very real at all levels of high school football in Indiana. We are getting to the point where you are going to see more Friday night games shifted to Saturday because of the shortage of officials. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Bobref said:

A little disappointing, DT, that an out-of-the-box thinker like yourself hasn’t mentioned the officiating crisis that is very real at all levels of high school football in Indiana. We are getting to the point where you are going to see more Friday night games shifted to Saturday because of the shortage of officials. 

Another great reason for contraction.  If we drop 40 programs, thats 20 fewer bad games on Friday night, and 100 extra officials available for the pool.  Problem solved.

Your welcome

😀

28 minutes ago, DT said:

Another great reason for contraction.  If we drop 40 programs, thats 20 fewer bad games on Friday night, and 100 extra officials available for the pool.  Problem solved.

Your welcome

😀

Sigh ...  I was thinking something more along the lines of recruitment/retention strategies. 😅

How about paying a competitive rate?

Ultimately, that is the core root of your problem.  

You will never improve your recruiting efforts until you address the compensation issue.

Its the elephant in the room.  And everyone knows it.

1 do not see happen when they will have to play a MIC school to win it

3 if you did that why not move back to 5 class 

9 I do not see this happen any time soon,  if you  went more then 8 teams you would have to get rid of the 2  Non-Conference  games but  it might help with it schedule as it  getting harder for the top teams in the MIC to find teams to play them.  If the MIC was add a team or two  Avon, Brownsburg, HSE or Fishers would be more my choice then CN

11 I think it comes down to time and money,  and I do not just mean how much money you  get for coaching.  I think  it comes down to what teachers make and most people that want to coach also want a good paying job.  Right now that is not teaching.  The time issue is that Coaching   is not just a few hours after school any more.  No mater what sport it is it is year round. 

13 as far as recruitment new people in to world of officiating one start with money two I would hit up collage kids hard  those that their playing days are over.  

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Knight said:

Dwenger played Chatard in 2011 and 2012.   Winning 24-14 in 2011 and losing 42-7 in 2012.

Edited by Lysander

9 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

1 do not see happen when they will have to play a MIC school to win it

It could happen. Every once in awhile all,  of the 3000+ enrollment schools have an average or down year at the same time. Case in point...............2015. Not taking anything away from the great program of Center Grove, but Snider and New Pal would have had a good shot to win 6a that year. If Warsaw can put together 2000-2001 type season, anything is possible.

9 hours ago, BTF said:

It could happen. Every once in awhile all,  of the 3000+ enrollment schools have an average or down year at the same time. Case in point...............2015. Not taking anything away from the great program of Center Grove, but Snider and New Pal would have had a good shot to win 6a that year. If Warsaw can put together 2000-2001 type season, anything is possible.

So long as we are talking about Warsaw...it doesn't happen overnight.  But it's not unimaginable (see New Pal).  Still...takes some time.

My personal opinion is that Snider/New Pal 2015 could have given ANYONE a fight.

In the case of New Pal, it started in 2013.  Snider has always been pretty great.

Nothing happens overnight....at least in 6A.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:18 AM, DT said:

How about paying a competitive rate?

Ultimately, that is the core root of your problem.  

You will never improve your recruiting efforts until you address the compensation issue.

Its the elephant in the room.  And everyone knows it.

DT.   Some are not in agreement with you.

https://www.abc57.com/news/lack-of-sports-officials-is-only-getting-worse-for-concord-high-school-athletics?fbclid=IwAR1MabPBF6S8RrEJD2bw3kRSAV9ZcyREGvAZYjhNLDyPeCBhAfZhSimB4uw

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, DT said:

Translation: "I'd like to see over 1000 football players lose the ability to play our great sport, just because I want to be entertained more."

30 minutes ago, AG said:

Translation: "I'd like to see over 1000 football players lose the ability to play our great sport, just because I want to be entertained more."

The quality of play at the contraction level is sub entertainment level.  The valuable  resources required to participate could be utilized much more effectively and positively impact a much larger group of students if allocated elsewhere.

4 hours ago, 77Jimmie said:

Certainly, lack of civility is a major issue.  But a referees' skin is much thicker at $100 a game than it is at $50.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Certainly, lack of civility is a major issue.  But a referees' skin is much thicker at $100 a game than it is at $50.

Which is more likely to happen, schools taking positive dramatic steps to treat officials better - and I’m not talking about a PA announcement before the game encouraging everyone to be nice - or schools doubling their budget for paying officials?