Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - 12 things Id like to see

Guest DT

9 hours ago, ts32 said:

Serious question - does Cannelton have girls volleyball? (I'm asking because I don't know.)

If so, there's probably not enough athletes to go around to offer two fall sports to the girls.

If you would have actually clicked on the provided link you would have your answer.

1 hour ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I am not sure I understand what I am reading. Why would people on a high school football website advocate for schools getting rid of their football teams? Is there not a soccer website you can go on and talk about getting rid of football and the best way to slice oranges for the treat bags while also making sure to discourage masculinity for soccer players?

I would like to hear more about your unreasonable hatred of soccer, which your apparently neanderthal mind views as some kind of threat.

I would put forth that most high school football squads generally receive more in the way of "treat bags" than the average Indiana high school soccer program.

8 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I am not sure I understand what I am reading. Why would people on a high school football website advocate for schools getting rid of their football teams? Is there not a soccer website you can go on and talk about getting rid of football and the best way to slice oranges for the treat bags while also making sure to discourage masculinity for soccer players?

Here is a scenario that you should consider.  This is realistic and happens every year in every state to some degree.

Lets say Class 3A West Lafayette plays host to a visiting 2A or 3A school  with a long tradition of losing football.  Let's also say that WL dresses 60 players for the game, including 3 or 4 Division 1 athletes, one who is considered one of the highest ranked college recruits in state history.

Assume that the visiting team arrives at WL on a small bus with 16 players.  Most of those players are underclassmen as no seniors stuck around for a 4 year varsity career due to the continued beatdowns they experienced as underclassmen.  6 freshman.  6 sophomores and 4 juniors.  And a 3 man coaching staff.  

WL wins the game 84-7, sitting most of their starters midway thru the 3rd quarter.    3 players from the losing team are taken off the field on stretchers due to significant injuries.  Compound leg fracture.  Neck injury.  Concussion.

WL offensive line averages 285 pounds.  Visitors defensive line averages 175.

Visitors cancel their next 2 games to try and recover from injuries and recruit additional students to fill out a roster and have enough players to hold a practice.

This scenario plays out time and time and time again, throughout Indiana and across the country.  As participation numbers decline, the schools that take their football seriously get stronger, and the schools that play out of obligation get weaker.

Contraction is a better option than consistently going 0-10 , losing by 60 points a game every Friday night, and seeing kids physically overmatched to the point where serious injury is a regular weekly concern.

As a parent  I take my kid out of harms way, blaming the school for failing to create a safe, positive environment for my child to enjoy a satisfying and beneficial high school extracurricular activity.  I sometimes wonder why an AD would allow this type of scenario to continue unchecked.  Its borderline criminal putting kids into this type of situation.

Anybody who tells you that this is a good learning experience and builds character for those kids on the losing end of that 84-7 debacle should experience just what that might be like for one Friday night.

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, DT said:

Here is a scenario that you should consider.  This is realistic and happens every year in every state to some degree.

Lets say Class 3A West Lafayette plays host to a visiting 2A or 3A school  with a long tradition of losing football.  Let's also say that WL dresses 60 players for the game, including 3 or 4 Division 1 athletes, one who is considered one of the highest ranked college recruits in state history.

Assume that the visiting team arrives at WL on a small bus with 16 players.  Most of those players are underclassmen as no seniors stuck around for a 4 year varsity career due to the continued beatdowns they experienced as underclassmen.  6 freshman.  6 sophomores and 4 juniors.  And a 3 man coaching staff.  

WL wins the game 84-7, sitting most of their starters midway thru the 3rd quarter.    3 players from the losing team are taken off the field on stretchers due to significant injuries.  Compound leg fracture.  Neck injury.  Concussion.

WL offensive line averages 285 pounds.  Visitors defensive line averages 175.

Visitors cancel their next 2 games to try and recover from injuries and recruit additional students to fill out a roster and have enough players to hold a practice.

This scenario plays out time and time and time again, throughout Indiana and across the country.  As participation numbers decline, the schools that take their football seriously get stronger, and the schools that play out of obligation get weaker.

Contraction is a better option than consistently going 0-10 , losing by 60 points a game every Friday night, and seeing kids physically overmatched to the point where serious injury is a regular weekly concern.

As a parent  I take my kid out of harms way, blaming the school for failing to create a safe, positive environment for my child to enjoy a satisfying and beneficial high school extracurricular activity.  I sometimes wonder why an AD would allow this type of scenario to continue unchecked.  Its borderline criminal putting kids into this type of situation.

Anybody who tells you that this is a good learning experience and builds character for those kids on the losing end of that 84-7 debacle should experience just what that might be like for one Friday night.

How many 2A or 3A teams do you know of that have only 16 players, or for that matter less than 20?

3 hours ago, DT said:

Have you played on a winless team? I have.

Have you played in a game where you lost by 60+ points? I did. 5 times.

You probably would not have enjoyed many of my varsity football games. But I did. Every. Single. One.

So forgive me if I get tired of your act.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

You probably would not have enjoyed many of my varsity football games. But I did. Every. Single. One.

Your school should have contracted the football program due to a lack of competitiveness and reallocated those athletic funds to other more worthy causes.  Its selfish to hog all the money on a cash guzzling sport like football and provide the school with no return on investment.

There are 420 high schools in Indiana.  100 choose not to play football.

This is not ground breaking stuff here.  Its simple common sense and good solid financial decision making.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

i GREW UP IN A FOOTBALL TOWN.  sTARETED ATTENDING VARSITY GAMES WHEN i WAS IN JUNIOR HIGH.  tHE SPECTACLE WAS ENORMOUS, AS i RECALL.  cOULDNT WAIT TO DON THE PADS FOR THE FIRST TIME AS A FRESHMAN.  i WENT TO cATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL AND WE DID NOT HAVE A FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

I strongly doubt I would have been drawn to the program as a junior high schooler had the team been extremely uncompetitive.  I would have stuck to baseball or something else.

For me, not playing was never an option.

1 minute ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I do not hate soccer, I love it. I think it is a superior way for girls to enjoy the fun of competition while benefiting from physical activity.  

Also a sport that encourages players to fall down and fake injuries will never be a "threat" to football. 

Yet more neanderthal mentality.

And are you claiming the fake injuries never occur in tackle football? Or flopping in basketball?

• Disdain 1

12 hours ago, DT said:

Your school should have contracted the football program due to a lack of competitiveness and reallocated those athletic funds to other more worthy causes.  Its selfish to hog all the money on a cash guzzling sport like football and provide the school with no return on investment.

There are 420 high schools in Indiana.  100 choose not to play football.

This is not ground breaking stuff here.  Its simple common sense and good solid financial decision making.

I've played on winning teams and losing teams.  I've coached youth teams that were really good and others that struggled.  I've celebrated with teammates and players I've coached on the field.  I've cried with them too.  I find it amazing that you seem to have been able to develop a simple quantitative measurement of the value of a football program.  Please enlighten us on what factors should considered when you calculate the ROI of a high school football program....  Is it monetary profit?  Is it judged purely on the scoreboard or record?  Championships?  

It seems like you spend a lot of time here for someone who appears to dislike high school football.

Edited by slicer28

2 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I find your mentality to be rather Denisovan.  

A recent study published in the New England Journal of Medicine finds that less than 1% of football injuries are faked, as opposed to upwards of 80% of soccer injuries.

Thank you.    Do you have a link to said study?

Edited by Muda69

7 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I had a son who expressed interest in playing soccer when he was young. I nudged him in the direction of a much more valuable, challenging, and rewarding activity. He has thanked me for that several times in the years that followed. 

You mean Boy Scouts?  Chess?  Acting?  Choir?  Band?  Robotics club?   There are many, many activities out there that are valuable, challenging, and rewarding, depending on the interests of the individual.   I'm sure your "nudge" wasn't so subtle.

Edited by Muda69
  • Disdain 1

44 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

I've played on winning teams and losing teams.  I've coached youth teams that were really good and others that struggled.  I've celebrated with teammates and players I've coached on the field.  I've cried with them too.  I find it amazing that you seem to have been able to develop a simple quantitative measurement of the value of a football program.  Please enlighten us on what factors should considered when you calculate the ROI of a high school football program....  Is it monetary profit?  Is it judged purely on the scoreboard or record?  Championships?  

It seems like you spend a lot of time here for someone who appears to dislike high school football.

I love high school football.  Have been involved as a fan, player, coach, official, sportswriter, color analyst , blogger and pundit.

When I see it played at "club level," its time for drastic change.

The chasm between the haves and the havenots is growing wider.

The haves are expanding rosters, building new facilities, raising funds, buying new equipment, and investing in better coaching and training.

The havenots, which is a growing majority every year, are seeing roster declines, disinvestment, high coaching turnover, lack of community involvement, and general program apathy

All of the above characteristics describe the program over the past decade at Bishop Noll, which is why the school chose to pull the plug and take the program off of life support.  There are many others dealing with similar circumstances to those at Noll.  Those schools will be facing the same options.  Continue to march forward in the face of unrelenting adversity (why should the kids be subject to this?) or fold up the tent and invest those dollars in band, theater, math club or other varsity sports that generate a fulfilling high school extra curricular experience.  

My view is that if we eliminate the non performing bottom feeders from the current 320, we elevate the others and create a higher level of play and better overall competitive balance.  Contraction is not a punishment.  Neither was the Multiplier.  It is a tool designed to better balance the level of play on the field and create more equal opportunity and a better overall experience for the student athlete.

16 hours ago, DT said:

i GREW UP IN A FOOTBALL TOWN.  sTARETED ATTENDING VARSITY GAMES WHEN i WAS IN JUNIOR HIGH.  tHE SPECTACLE WAS ENORMOUS, AS i RECALL.  cOULDNT WAIT TO DON THE PADS FOR THE FIRST TIME AS A FRESHMAN.  i WENT TO cATHOLIC GRADE SCHOOL AND WE DID NOT HAVE A FOOTBALL PROGRAM.

I strongly doubt I would have been drawn to the program as a junior high schooler had the team been extremely uncompetitive.  I would have stuck to baseball or something else.

For me, not playing was never an option.

Ah the caps lock monster... it gets the best of us. 

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, Tanka Jahari said:

You milk a bull, you get a friend for life

It’s an art form, so I am told, but you probably need to start slowly....good manners if nothing else....warm hands help too.

No doubt they’ll be appreciative.

• Haha 1