Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Dandy Dozen - 12 things Id like to see

Guest DT

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:33 PM, Lysander said:

It’s an art form, so I am told, but you probably need to start slowly....good manners if nothing else....warm hands help too.

No doubt they’ll be appreciative.

Mood music?

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, Bobref said:

Bob.

The pay stinking is a given.  But the pay has stunk for years.  I doubt it is the reason that so many young people are not choosing the officiating route.

12 minutes ago, 77Jimmie said:

Bob.

The pay stinking is a given.  But the pay has stunk for years.  I doubt it is the reason that so many young people are not choosing the officiating route.

I’m not so sure. It’s a different generation of people we’re recruiting now. I suspect some of the old “truths” no longer apply.

• Disdain 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I’m not so sure. It’s a different generation of people we’re recruiting now. I suspect some of the old “truths” no longer apply.

What’s that mean?  Old “truths”.

11 minutes ago, DannEllenwood said:

What’s that mean?  Old “truths”.

Conventional wisdom has been that no one becomes an official to make $$. Most years I was happy to break even on out of pocket expenses. But that conventional wisdom may no longer be true.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Conventional wisdom has been that no one becomes an official to make $$. Most years I was happy to break even on out of pocket expenses. But that conventional wisdom may no longer be true.

Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:43 AM, Lysander said:

So long as we are talking about Warsaw...it doesn't happen overnight.  But it's not unimaginable (see New Pal).  Still...takes some time.

My personal opinion is that Snider/New Pal 2015 could have given ANYONE a fight.

In the case of New Pal, it started in 2013.  Snider has always been pretty great.

Nothing happens overnight....at least in 6A.

This is a great thread, DT... like a smorgasbord. Being a Tiger fan, I'll choose 1, and piggy back on this. This DOES take tame

- weight room - New Pal is the benchmark - Tigers have begun contagion of pan-sport/pan-gender lifting culture... will it increase exponentially?

- intangibles - Dynamic class of '19, can at least six-ten guys in classes of '20 & '21 own the room?

- reloadable depth - replacing QB, FB, a great LT and six of the Orange Crush front seven... next man up!

These are all promising right now. We'll see what happens. Exciting season ahead, opportunities start 3-Jun-19.

3 minutes ago, HSFBFan64 said:

This is a great thread, DT... like a smorgasbord. Being a Tiger fan, I'll choose 1, and piggy back on this. This DOES take tame

- weight room - New Pal is the benchmark - Tigers have begun contagion of pan-sport/pan-gender lifting culture... will it increase exponentially?

- intangibles - Dynamic class of '19, can at least six-ten guys in classes of '20 & '21 own the room?

- reloadable depth - replacing QB, FB, a great LT and six of the Orange Crush front seven... next man up!

These are all promising right now. We'll see what happens. Exciting season ahead, opportunities start 3-Jun-19.

?

4 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Benchmark?  Coach Mills (CG Strength and Conditioning Coach) might have a different opinion...........will agree strength and conditioning is paramount to success in most any sport.

image.png.4530b41f020f702ebd56687018682307.png

It is nice when schools and athletes care about and see tremendous value of, weight training during the school day.

But I thought Lafayette Central Catholic's "weight room" used to be located in a shed behind the school.   And their gridiron success, along with myriad other sports, can't be questioned.

Just think of how much classroom learning space could be built within the confines of that Center Grove weight room.   How many millions did that extravagance cost Indiana taxpayers?

Edited by Muda69
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

But I thought Lafayette Central Catholic's "weight room" used to be located in a shed behind the school.   And their gridiron success, along with myriad other sports, can't be questioned.

Just think of how much classroom learning space could be built within the confines of that Center Grove weight room.   How many millions did that extravagance cost Indiana taxpayers?

Looks more like CGU

Center Grove University

😀

15 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Didn't cost you a dime Muda.  And it was put up to a vote by White River Township citizens.  Democracy at is finest.  As far as the price tag for the Student Activity Center, I am sure you can find that out via the use of your favorite search engine.

And the Student Activity Center that includes the weight room is not only used by sports, but by other academic competitions such as robotics, etc.  Additionally the community uses the facility.

Our youngest is graduating this year and we are soon to be empty nesters.  I will continue to vote yes on school improvements such as the SAC.  CG schools are the brand of this community and any investment there is a continued investment in our real estate.  So you ask about cost....what you should be asking is how much did us cost us as local taxpayers not to invest in our schools......

Also, you don't need to worry about academic space at CG....not a concern here.

https://www.centergrove.k12.in.us/activitycenter

The nearly $10 million addition to CGHS adds 59,500 square feet of space to CGHS without increasing the tax rate for White River Township residents. 

lol, that "without increasing the tax rate" is another disingenuous line big government types love to use.  So they were getting close to paying off another taxpayer funded bond or series of bonds, but instead of doing the honest thing and letting the tax rate decrease they immediately started looking for another taxpayer funded boondoggle, one they could crow about not costing taxpayers "increased taxes".  Classic political malarkey, pure and simple.   I didn't know so many White River Township citizens were that gullible.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 3

18 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

We are just simple folk here in WRT Muda..........numbers confuse us......

some additional reading

http://supportcgstudents.com/get-the-facts/

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/02/08/02072018dj_cg_fieldhouse/

Already paying nice benefits...remember, its not just for sports

https://ss-times.com/cghs-selected-as-host-site-for-robotics-competition/

The above fits nicely with our Innovation Center that was built to drive success in STEM.  Are you good with that investment?

Come visit sometime....we needed the space with the SAC...and its delivered.  Regardless if taxes were increased to fund 100% of it, I would vote yes again....investing in the school has given me a nice return on my property the last 20 years or so.  

BTW, since we are not good with our numbers, what is $10MM/40,000 = per person?  Yea, its a good investment.(and our youngest child is graduating this year.....I would still vote yes again)  I want my community to prosper.  At the end of the day, its not my local or property taxes that cause me concern.

So all the equipment in that over-expansive weight room will be moved to make room for a robotics competition? How much are the taxpayers paying in manpower for that task?  And no, I am not good with that "investment".

$10,000,000/$40,000 = $250.  A lot of money.

• Disdain 1

5 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

How do I say this Muda, because I like ya?  My question wasn't serious as I don't care.  You don't live in my community.   I am sure you have enough issues to tackle in your back yard.

We all know that the cost of this investment wasn't handed out as a one time bill per resident....but even it had been.....I would have still been just fine it.  Our 3 children received excellent educations that led to not only outstanding college opportunities realized, but scholarships to boot.  And my property values have greatly exceeded a $250 investment.  So yea, I support CG investing in their schools and facilities to boot.  And that doesn't even get into intangible benefits received from their school experiences over the years.  So as a resident of WRT, I'm good.  

I just dislike watching taxpayers get fleeced, that's all.  And the property values argument is a shell game, just wait until the next recession/depression................

Yeah,  Like a small park near Frankfort's downtown that started at $4 million, then went to $7.5 million, and now when actually under construction total cost estimates are at $12 million.  Also a city pool that the mayor/city council says needs to be replaced at a cost of around $8 million.  Add to that a police chief who says the police headquarters building needs replaced, another multi-million project in the works.  Where will the $ come from?  My property values haven't risen in over 10 years.

• Disdain 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

lol, that "without increasing the tax rate" is another disingenuous line big government types love to use.  So they were getting close to paying off another taxpayer funded bond or series of bonds, but instead of doing the honest thing and letting the tax rate decrease they immediately started looking for another taxpayer funded boondoggle, one they could crow about not costing taxpayers "increased taxes".  Classic political malarkey, pure and simple.   I didn't know so many White River Township citizens were that gullible.

2 gorgeous words that are not nearly used enough.  Thanks Muda.

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

We are just simple folk here in WRT Muda..........numbers confuse us......

some additional reading

http://supportcgstudents.com/get-the-facts/

http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/02/08/02072018dj_cg_fieldhouse/

Already paying nice benefits...remember, its not just for sports

https://ss-times.com/cghs-selected-as-host-site-for-robotics-competition/

The above fits nicely with our Innovation Center that was built to drive success in STEM.  Are you good with that investment?

Come visit sometime....we needed the space with the SAC...and its delivered.  Regardless if taxes were increased to fund 100% of it, I would vote yes again....investing in the school has given me a nice return on my property the last 20 years or so.  

BTW, since we are not good with our numbers, what is $10MM/40,000 = per person?  Yea, its a good investment.(and our youngest child is graduating this year.....I would still vote yes again)  I want my community to prosper.  At the end of the day, its not my local or property taxes that cause me concern.

I owned a house in WRT from 2005 to 2013 and realized very little gain over that period.  Of course, that period spans the housing and financial crisis that peaked in 2008-2009.  

Regardless, I certainly had hoped for a better ROI than I realized.  Fortunately, I converted the house to a rental property from 2008 to 2013 and made a killing as displaced foreclosed families paid a premium for high quality home rentals in the area.  😀

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Now see....we agree on taxpayers getting fleeced.  I also have examples of my 25+ years in my community that I haven't been pleased with investments and expenditures.  But all in all, I have supported the improvement of the school.  WRT is all about CG.  And while there is always some sawtooth effect with recessions (I sure hope we don't experience a depression) the overall growth in WRT has been outstanding.  The school drives that and its the reason why home construction continues on and on here in the Grove.  This asset is a multi-use facility....and we needed the space for kids....and we had nothing for the community.  Its been fantastic.  Thrilled we can now host robotic competitions, etc.  Glad it was voted on and approved by the community and they actually hit their budget.  

My concerns in this community is investments needed for infrastructure both with the growth, and with I-69 coming through our back yard.  I am worried about city annexation because even following 2 recommendations from IU to incorporate into a city, we refuse.  Too much money at the new exits.  Someone will want that tax revenue.  I am way more concerned about the near future and what could happen vs. build of the CGHS Student Activity Center. 

Shame you missed the timing.  Kind of crazy now

I realized my gain elsewhere.  

3 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

2 gorgeous words that are not nearly used enough.  Thanks Muda.

Both real winners.  I also like consubstantial, notwithstanding , esoteric, heretofore, anachronistic, fortuitous, and shoe.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:20 AM, Muda69 said:

Muda.  You are correct that instead of offering a tax decrease, they kept the tax rate the same.  But to label it as dishonest is disingenuous on your part.   Tax payers understand the tax rate they are paying.  They should be satisfied as long as it doesn't increase.  And the property tax rate of only the school portion is effected. Not the entire property tax rate. With the number of school districts that are needing to fund their General Fund, not Capital Projects, with referendums we should all be praising schools like Center Grove that are fiscally astute enough to be able to provide high quality facilities without increasing taxes.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 11:59 AM, 77Jimmie said:

Muda.  You are correct that instead of offering a tax decrease, they kept the tax rate the same.  But to label it as dishonest is disingenuous on your part.   Tax payers understand the tax rate they are paying.  They should be satisfied as long as it doesn't increase.  And the property tax rate of only the school portion is effected. Not the entire property tax rate. With the number of school districts that are needing to fund their General Fund, not Capital Projects, with referendums we should all be praising schools like Center Grove that are fiscally astute enough to be able to provide high quality facilities without increasing taxes.

Don't know if this is here nor there, but just spent several months working in Frankfort.   Need some happiness shined down in that place.  

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robert said:

Don't know if this is here nor there, but just spent several months working in Frankfort.   Need some happiness shined down in that place.  

It is akin to the Christian Hell on Earth, is it not?

• Disdain 1