Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Ortiz resigns at La Porte

1 hour ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

According to WHME, Coach James' will be reconsidered for the Head job.  There seems to be some school board members that may change their minds.

Go figure

When’s the next election for the “No” voters? 😉

I cannot think of a school waiting until the week of conditioning beginning do anything productive in the fall. The board members are classic examples of power hungry fools. On the night they give the head baseball coach the principal job and think that he can do both jobs they tell a long time loyal assistant who has been working with the kids since Ortiz resigned he is not worthy of the job, maybe because their kid(s) didn't like them.

If I were Bob I would say heck no, why take a position in which the new AD, outgoing AD, new principal, and central office want you, but the politicians don't. Interesting when the boys and girls basketball programs as well as football keep changing coaches. 

Edited by DACNUT
Update
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:39 PM, Whiting89 said:

Why do school members get a say in this? Shouldn’t the athletic director have final decision? In the real world a direct supervisor would decide hiring decisions. 

Just heard LP school board member Jim Arnold on the radio yesterday morning.  He said that they held an executive session on Monday to discuss the matter an La Porte will have a new football coach after their next school board meeting on Monday.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:39 PM, Whiting89 said:

Why do school members get a say in this? Shouldn’t the athletic director have final decision? In the real world a direct supervisor would decide hiring decisions. 

School systems are not "real world". Rarely are they ever ran like corporate America. Good or bad that's the way it works. 

I would think/hope the AD's input would be highly regarded. They are the ones who know the programs and kids needs the most.

You would think that a 5A football school would have a summer workout schedule before school got out, with the assistants running them.  I don't think you need a head coach to run a summer conditioning and weights program, most school employee a strength and conditioning coach nowadays.  I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

so why is the LP board so disfunctional?

sounds more and more like South Bend

I wouldn’t describe the Board as “dysfunctional” on the strength of this one decision. After all, they have other and bigger fish to fry than hiring a football coach. Still, this is puzzling. I’d sure like to know why the 3 board members who changed their votes voted “no” originally, and then reversed themselves.

On 6/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, Bobref said:

I wouldn’t describe the Board as “dysfunctional” on the strength of this one decision. After all, they have other and bigger fish to fry than hiring a football coach. Still, this is puzzling. I’d sure like to know why the 3 board members who changed their votes voted “no” originally, and then reversed themselves.

The current LP School Board President was a school board member in 2017 & led the charge to not renew the coaching contract for Tom Wells after 15 years as the Slicers head basketball coach. (Wells is now HC at rival Michigan City.) She had a son on the basketball team back then. Another son just graduated LPHS after being a standout athlete in football, basketball & track.