Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Summer football compared to summer basketball

I was just curious how everyone deals with summer workouts. We are a small school and share a lot of the same athletes. I just was told the schedule for basketball in June and they only have 7 days off and that is including Sundays. 

On another note to me it is crazy that we only have 12 practices we can use between June and July, but basketball can workout basically everyday and play 20-30 games in June. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Coach DeSpain

IHSAA was supposed to make all sports figure out a summer schedule, like football has the 12 days.  Some have done so, girls basketball and soccer, while most of them have not.  They keep saying we are leading the charge, but basketball will not change until the IHSAA makes their rules for them.  We try to work things out with our basketball coach, they get June and we get July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julio said:

IHSAA was supposed to make all sports figure out a summer schedule, like football has the 12 days.  Some have done so, girls basketball and soccer, while most of them have not.  They keep saying we are leading the charge, but basketball will not change until the IHSAA makes their rules for them.  We try to work things out with our basketball coach, they get June and we get July.

We normally do this as well, but this year seems to be worse. It might be because we get all the moratorium all in July. We also start school July 28th so not much time between moratorium and start of school.

The problem is that the IFCA made the proposal to the IHSAA about limiting contact. Other sports were supposed to submit their proposals, but they were not required to do so.  The IHSAA has not made a unilateral decision for the other sports so football is main sport to be penalized.  There are a lot of wacky rules from the IHSAA, but in the end the ADs/Principals actually get the final vote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, qbcoach13 said:

At the IFCA clinic Faulkens said all sports would have summer contact rules in place during by May. 

So according to him we will all have rules in place for this summer. 

I mostly like this because I definitely think other sports should be regulated. But I don't think they should wait until May and come up with restrictions for the immediate summer. I feel like that puts the basketball coaches who are currently putting together those summer schedules in a tough spot. But I'm very happy they doing something. The multi-sport athlete is dead by mid to late June. When my son doesn't want to walk up the stairs to a water slide and that keeps me from riding water slides, something has to be done.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I mostly like this because I definitely think other sports should be regulated. But I don't think they should wait until May and come up with restrictions for the immediate summer. I feel like that puts the basketball coaches who are currently putting together those summer schedules in a tough spot. But I'm very happy they doing something. The multi-sport athlete is dead by mid to late June. When my son doesn't want to walk up the stairs to a water slide and that keeps me from riding water slides, something has to be done.

They gave them plenty of time to regulate themselves, and they didn't do it.  If they are in a tough spot, it is self inflicted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Julio said:

They let the other sports get away with this for 6 years.  I heard what the IHSAA said at the IFCA clinic, but I will believe it when I see it.

Right....and what the high school program cannot do, the club team will pick up and continue. Nothing will really change. But the situation in the OP sounds like a conversation with all stakeholders and the AD needs to take place to strike a balance. 

• Like 1

Baseball will be the hard one.  The old legion rule where they supply the school team with equipment and tournaments.  There are no rules regarding the number of kids from one school. I feel that ADs and coaches should look at summer and cut it into 3rds.  Not sure if you need spring sports with travel baseball/softball and IJGA for golf.  Basketball/Winter Sports get  June with Football being allowed to lift and such.  After July 4th week the shift needs to be on the Fall Sports.  Bottom line Coaches need to share athletes. And  kids should not be penalized for not coming to things in a given sport if they are participating in their chosen sport or activity.  Virtually all football folks get this concept.

If you look at it though, All Summer Football activities are not mandatory. So there shouldn't be any reprecussions for someone not showing up. Do they kids that show up get better? YES. But the bottom line is , Football is not mandatory til that first week of August when you can officially start practice.  Its just the rules set in place for football.

2 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

If you look at it though, All Summer Football activities are not mandatory. So there shouldn't be any reprecussions for someone not showing up. Do they kids that show up get better? YES. But the bottom line is , Football is not mandatory til that first week of August when you can officially start practice.  Its just the rules set in place for football.

Do you believe all coaches feel this way?

18 minutes ago, WCGrad92 said:

I will never pretend to speak for others. What should be and what is can be two totally different things.

From my limited experience with my son, nephews, and neighbors (small sample size alert!) - reduction of playing time and penalties were much tougher for missing "optional" basketball workouts as opposed to football ones. 

With being a small school (enrollment only 228), we can not force summer workouts even if we wanted too. I am realistic when it comes to football not being the #1 sport at our school and that kids (especially in our area) have to work to pay for certain things. I do get a few kids that try to participate in both football and basketball in June and I try to take it easy on them as I know they are doing both. The one positive for me is our basketball team is a run and gun type team and so the basketball guys are going to be conditioned for sure. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:08 PM, Coach Dowell said:

Baseball will be the hard one.  The old legion rule where they supply the school team with equipment and tournaments.  There are no rules regarding the number of kids from one school. I feel that ADs and coaches should look at summer and cut it into 3rds.  Not sure if you need spring sports with travel baseball/softball and IJGA for golf.  Basketball/Winter Sports get  June with Football being allowed to lift and such.  After July 4th week the shift needs to be on the Fall Sports.  Bottom line Coaches need to share athletes. And  kids should not be penalized for not coming to things in a given sport if they are participating in their chosen sport or activity.  Virtually all football folks get this concept.

Too bad some BB coaches don't get it. 

On 4/17/2022 at 6:00 PM, Bobref said:

Do you believe all coaches feel this way?

It works the same way with Basketball Coaches that run open gym into the ground. Insinuations are made if you don't attend every open gym it could effect your try out.

Edited by Goose Liver