Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Petitioning to play up a class

Here's an example of a school choosing to play up a class. North Daviess moving to 3A next year.

1. It's basketball, not football

2. They have traditionally been 1A, but would have been the 3rd of 4th smallest 2A, so they are jumping to 3A.

https://twitter.com/NDCOUGARBBALL/status/1514945933724864520?s=20&t=s_5ZZpxXS_oUvDNTfxa0hQ

So they are 1A and will move up do to the SF? so instead of going to 2A they are leap frogging to 3A? Interesting begs the question of what a person put in the tweet reply that they attempting to avoid a particular 2A potential sectional opponent? So they see an easy path in Southern 3A rather than 2A? 

Makes sense if I were a powerhouse 1A Football team that was moving up to 2A in the northern half of the state I might want to play in a 3A north (If Chatard gets sent South) rather than the 2A North and run into (Luers, Andrean, Eastbrook, and Eastside) . 

interesting twist 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Here's an example of a school choosing to play up a class. North Daviess moving to 3A next year.

1. It's basketball, not football

2. They have traditionally been 1A, but would have been the 3rd of 4th smallest 2A, so they are jumping to 3A.

https://twitter.com/NDCOUGARBBALL/status/1514945933724864520?s=20&t=s_5ZZpxXS_oUvDNTfxa0hQ

There have been examples of this in football too.  I believe that Mishawaka Marian was the first many years ago and petitioned from 1A to 3A.  I believe though that IHSAA only let them go to 2A.  They have since increased enrollment enough to get to 3A naturally.  Scecina was 2A and had enrollment drop enough to go to 1A, but they petitioned IHSAA to stay 2A.  They eventually moved down to 1A before being SF'd to 2A.  Their enrollment has since taken them back to 2A.  I also believe that Mishawaka petitioned to remain in higher classes after getting bumped even though their enrollment allowed them to be in a lower class.  If I recall correctly, Mishawaka petitioned a couple of times to move up.

44 minutes ago, EasyEJay said:

So they are 1A and will move up do to the SF? so instead of going to 2A they are leap frogging to 3A? Interesting begs the question of what a person put in the tweet reply that they attempting to avoid a particular 2A potential sectional opponent? So they see an easy path in Southern 3A rather than 2A? 

Makes sense if I were a powerhouse 1A Football team that was moving up to 2A in the northern half of the state I might want to play in a 3A north (If Chatard gets sent South) rather than the 2A North and run into (Luers, Andrean, Eastbrook, and Eastside) . 

interesting twist 

They were due to be moved up to 2A because of enrollment.  I don’t follow basketball enough to know if they are avoiding a certain team. It might be that the 3A road is easier. If that is the case, does a team who voluntarily plays up fall under the ‘stay up’ rules? (2 pts in 2 years.) 

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

I also believe that Mishawaka petitioned to remain in higher classes after getting bumped even though their enrollment allowed them to be in a lower class.  If I recall correctly, Mishawaka petitioned a couple of times to move up.

Believe Mishawaka did right when the IHSAA implemented its 6th class. It was before teams like Cathedral, Dwenger, etc were regularly cycled up to 5A and were still in 4A. Mishawaka avoided northern powers like Lowell and Dwenger. 4A was stronger at the time than the new look 5A featuring 32 teams, especially in the North half of the bracket. 

3 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

interesting twist 

Yeah, a defending state champion wanting to move up in class to avoid potential opponents. Right.

22 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Yeah, a defending state champion wanting to move up in class to avoid potential opponents. Right.

I could be way off base sure I find it interesting more than anything . Could careless what the actually reasoning . Could set an interesting precedent with the IHSAA for sure.  Sorry you won't find the confrontation you crave from this site with me have a good one Go orioles 

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

Don't think it's crazy. North Davies moving to 2A likely puts them in a sectional with Linton-Stockton and then a regional with Providence (defending 2A champ). Both Linton and Providence finished with better Sagarin ratings as 2A schools and than any team they'd face in a potential 3A sectional or regional. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Football Guru 25 said:

how do programs go about doing this procedure and does it effect all sports or just the sport addressed?

Tends to be by sport and gender.  A petition by boys' basketball for a school would not result in women's basketball being bumped.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, Footballking16 said:

Believe Mishawaka did right when the IHSAA implemented its 6th class. It was before teams like Cathedral, Dwenger, etc were regularly cycled up to 5A and were still in 4A. Mishawaka avoided northern powers like Lowell and Dwenger. 4A was stronger at the time than the new look 5A featuring 32 teams, especially in the North half of the bracket. 

Mishawaka avoided Lowell and Dwenger to play Snider? I find that fascinating since Snider beat Dwenger 43-0 in 2012. Are we sure we know the REAL reason why Mishawaka bumped up? 

• Like 1

Mishawaka played in 4A in 2012 so they did not even opt to play up that season, let alone do so to avoid someone.  Looks like they were in 5A through 2010, 2011-2012 in 4A, 2013-2016 in 5A, 2017-2018 in 4A, and then back to 5A in 2019 and 2020.  Couldn't tell you which years they chose to play in 5A but we can rule out 2011, 2012, 2017, and 2018.