Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Jamboree vs. Controlled Scrimmage

Jamborees were fun to play in as a player.  As a coach I prefer scrimmages.  I know in the scrimmage how many snaps of offense vs. defense we're going to get.  That isn't the case in a jamboree. A quick score or a turnover and your team will spend much of the night on one side of the ball.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Mishawaka jamboree used to have Penn, Warsaw, SB St Joe, Marian, Elkhart Memorial, and Mishawaka. I always loved going to the jamboree. 

How about a controlled scrimmage jamboree?!?

How long ago was this? I only ask because for the years Elkhart Memorial was a school, Warsaw never participated in a jamboree with them to my knowledge. In the 90s and through the 00s, Warsaw would scrimmage against SB Clay. Then I think that switched to Tippecanoe Valley for a few years and now they scrimmage Leo. I personally do not ever remember the Tigers being in a Jamboree with those teams you mentioned, but my memory is really only good from 1995 onward.

Also - not saying it didn't happen. I think it's awesome if it did! Definitely would have been fun to go to with those 6 schools.

10 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

How long ago was this? I only ask because for the years Elkhart Memorial was a school, Warsaw never participated in a jamboree with them to my knowledge. In the 90s and through the 00s, Warsaw would scrimmage against SB Clay. Then I think that switched to Tippecanoe Valley for a few years and now they scrimmage Leo. I personally do not ever remember the Tigers being in a Jamboree with those teams you mentioned, but my memory is really only good from 1995 onward.

Also - not saying it didn't happen. I think it's awesome if it did! Definitely would have been fun to go to with those 6 schools.

That was the lineup when I was in hs (graduated in 96). I’m not sure how many years those were the 6 teams but this would have been like 92, 93, 94, 95 and possibly 96 or until jamborees stopped 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

That was the lineup when I was in hs (graduated in 96). I’m not sure how many years those were the 6 teams but this would have been like 92, 93, 94, 95 and possibly 96 or until jamborees stopped 

I graduated in 96 too. The fall of 95 we (LC) had our first controlled scrimmage. We were at Valpo. 

When we participated in a jamboree during my HS career, we were at Munster. It was a 4 team gig. Us, Munster, Highland, and Bishop Noll.  Though I don’t ever recall us playing BNI. 

I would guess the logistics make a scrimmage more appealing than a jamboree. 

For example my senior year jamboree encountered one of those late August lightning storms. Imagine being an AD and having to find somewhere for three visiting teams to dress and wait out an hour lightning delay. 

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would guess the logistics make a scrimmage more appealing than a jamboree. 

For example my senior year jamboree encountered one of those late August lightning storms. Imagine being an AD and having to find somewhere for three visiting teams to dress and wait out an hour lightning delay. 

Happened to us my junior year (fall of 94) at Munster.

I do not recall sharing "cover areas" with any of the other teams.

IMSC, we came back and played that next Saturday morning.

Edited by DE

20 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Mishawaka jamboree used to have Penn, Warsaw, SB St Joe, Marian, Elkhart Memorial, and Mishawaka. I always loved going to the jamboree. 

How about a controlled scrimmage jamboree?!?

13 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

A total of 27 jamborees were played on Mishawaka's field.  The "jamboree era" began in 1968, took 2 years off ('83 and '84 when the cluster system schedules eliminated the jamborees) and ended after the 1996 jamboree when the IHSAA allowed a 9th regular season game to replace the jamborees.

The first 6 years ('68 - '73) featured Mishawaka, Marian, Penn and St. Joe.  The next 7 years ('74 - '80) included the four original schools and added Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial.  These years saw near capacity crowds for the Mishawaka jamboree (around 8,500).

IN 1981 and 1982, Elkhart Central dropped and Warsaw was added.

When the jamborees resumed in 1985 after the end of the cluster system, the Mishawaka event had only 5 teams ---  the 4 originals and Elkhart Memorial.

Warsaw joined those 5 in 1986 and for the final 11 years of the "jamboree era" ('86 - '96) the event featured Mishawaka, Marian, Penn, St. Joe, Elkhart Memorial and Warsaw.

Always happy to provide way more information than anyone wants or needs.  😜

• Like 4

I like the idea of a jamboree again.  With the schedule opened up to summer scrimmages, players get enough of that controlled look.  It would be fun to see how your team stacks up in real game time situations before the first game of the season.  Back when the controlled scrimmages took over for the jamboree, summers were not open to football activities and competition.  Bring back the Jamboree!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Jamboree format was very beneficial for the officials. You’d put 10 or so officials at each site, and they would rotate in and out all night. The great thing was that, with a mix of veteran and younger officials, you could get real time feedback on what you were doing, a luxury none of us had in season. It was, in essence, an on field clinic, coming at a very opportune time.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 7:03 AM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

On 4/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, maroonman said:

Warsaw joined those 5 in 1986 and for the final 11 years of the "jamboree era" ('86 - '96) the event featured Mishawaka, Marian, Penn, St. Joe, Elkhart Memorial and Warsaw.

Makes sense! My father joined the staff at Warsaw in 1996... and I was in early elementary at that time. I do feel like I have a memory of multiple teams being on the field at one time. Had just completely forgotten about it!

My biggest complaint with the setup for the scrimmages is the player pitch counts. Coming from 1A enrollment Pioneer we have to drastically scale back the outlined plays generally so that we can  meet the rules of the scrimmage generally having to play JV kids that simply aren't ready to play against varsity kids. Crazy to me considering that one week later these kids that were limited plays for "safety" will be allowed to go out and play all three phases week 1.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:33 PM, Julio said:

I think the jamboree is different than the one you guys are talking about.  It is not the old 2 teams play 1 quarter and rotate for 4 quarters.

Are rules anywhere where we can find like we have for the scrimmage?