Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Elkhart hires St. Louis

• 8 months later...

Did I see that Elkhart is traveling to Massillon, OH next season to play the Tigers at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium? One of the great high school football venues in the country. That is a serious schedule upgrade.

Just for illustrative purposes, Calpreps says if the 2022 editions of these teams played on a neutral field, Massillon would win 42-3. Like I said, a serious schedule upgrade.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:57 PM, Bobref said:

Did I see that Elkhart is traveling to Massillon, OH next season to play the Tigers at Paul Brown Tiger Stadium? One of the great high school football venues in the country. That is a serious schedule upgrade.

Just for illustrative purposes, Calpreps says if the 2022 editions of these teams played on a neutral field, Massillon would win 42-3. Like I said, a serious schedule upgrade.

Hopefully more programs will take advantage of the new travel rules and schedule some compelling OOS games.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:24 AM, Bobref said:

I hope so, too. But this specific game would have been permissible under the old rules.

I was hoping the game was part of the Freedom Bowl series but heard from the promoter that the Midwest event will not happen this year.   Apparently, the game is a regular season match-up.   Hopefully it is a home and home contract which would allow me to see Massillon play and eat at the Chubby Trout next season.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:29 AM, Goose Liver said:

What are the distances with the new travel rules?

I haven't been able to find it, but it had to have drastically changed. Noblesville's girls basketball team played a team from outside of DC (Northern Virginia) back in November or December.

4 hours ago, whiteshoes said:

I was hoping the game was part of the Freedom Bowl series but heard from the promoter that the Midwest event will not happen this year.   Apparently, the game is a regular season match-up.   Hopefully it is a home and home contract which would allow me to see Massillon play and eat at the Chubby Trout next season.

It seems the new rule maintains the 300 mi. rule for Indiana schools traveling out of state, but removes any geographic restrictions on out of state schools coming to Indiana. Here’s the new rule:

RULE 10 – INTERSTATE CONTESTS AND PRACTICES REQUIRING SPECIAL ATTENTION
10-1 Contest Limitations
10-1.1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations
Member Schools may only participate in an out-of-state Contest if:
a. the site or venue of a Contest is within (300) miles from the Indiana State line;
b. the Contest is against a school that is a member of a state athletic association; and
c. the event is sanctioned as needed by the IHSAA through the NFHS sanctioning process
(rules 10-1.3 and 10.1.4)
10-1.2 In-State Contest Limitations
Out-of-state schools who participate against an IHSAA Member School in a Contest in Indiana must:
a. be a member of their state’s athletic association;
b. be in “good-standing” with their state’s athletic association; and
c. the event be sanctioned as needed by the IHSAA through the NFHS sanctioning process
(rules 10-1.3 and 10-1.4).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ragdoll said:

So, scheduling a home and home with St. Edward would still be out of bounds for Indy teams?

Shouldn't be, If you mean St Ed in Ohio, that's with in 300 miles of the NE Indiana boarder. I'm pretty sure they compete in the OHSAA and are in good standing. 

1 hour ago, GoodKn19ht said:

If you mean St Ed in Ohio, that's with in 300 miles of the NE Indiana boarder.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

So, scheduling a home and home with St. Edward would still be out of bounds for Indy teams?

Cathedral played a home & home with St. Edward a few years ago, if memory serves. Right, @PHJIrish?

17 hours ago, ragdoll said:

Did not recall, for some reason I thought Lakewood was over 300 mile barrier from Indy. 

The “barrier” starts at the state line, not Indianapolis.

10-1.1 Out-of-State Contest Limitations
Member Schools may only participate in an out-of-state Contest if:
a. the site or venue of a Contest is within (300) miles from the Indiana State line;

My guess is Baseball and Softball will benefit the most from this as teams like to travel to Tennessee for Spring Break games. I would be curious to know if any AD's from the usual suspects that schedule out of state opponents (Carmel, Cathedral, Warren, etc.) have put out fealers in Alabama, Georgie, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...