Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2022

Bobref

Might as well get a new thread going for 2022. Start by discussing the draft. Through the first 3 rounds the Bears drafted a corner, a safety, and a wide receiver. All reputed to be good players. One analysis I saw gave the Bears an A-, A-, and B+ for the three selections. I’ll take that. I would have liked to see some work on the O-line so as to preserve the health of the budding franchise QB. Maybe today. 

Liked first two picks. Secondary needs some help. Eddie Jackson resembling anything like his rookie year would also be helpful. The wide receiver ran 4.31 at the combine so we’ll see how that translates to the field. And they’ve swapped draft picks a few time here on day 3. Stock piling late draft picks it seems 

I may be guilty of drinking the new GM Kook Aid but I like what was done in the draft. Appeared to have obtain instant help for Fields later in the draft while getting 2 quality DB's and a solid WR early on. I hope this means Eddie Jackson is out. I really like that Velus Jone is 25. He should be able to contribut immediately and will be a nice YAC option for Fields in the short passing options. Potentially Ebner as well. 

I'm also curious to know if not taking OL early is a statement of Poles opinion of the way Nagy / Pace treated the OL. Perhaps, he feels the talent returning isn't that bad and was more a reflection of Nagy's scheme that made the OL look awful.

I agree that it is beneficial to have a guy with speed who can take the top off the defense. But with Fields’ running/scrambling threat, they will likely be seeing less man to man coverage in the secondary, and more zone. So, they really need route runners.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Proposal pictures for Soldier Field have been leaked. The current rendition is just goofy....and honestly, it's poorly done, even on the inside. While I have not seen a football game there, I was there for a concert several years ago. I sat about midfield on the side, where the suites are in the top level. I was only 20 rows up, but the overhang from the level above us created an obstructed view. Not only was the view overhead limited, but I could only see a small part of the video screen. In this proposal, it does not look like they do much to fix the sight lines I mentioned. I think it is a much better look on the outside than what we currently see. 

So, Bears fans, what do you think? Is this a real option, or do they build a new stadium in another area? 
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/26/23278519/soldier-field-dome-renovation-mayor-lightfoot-taxpayer-public-projects-editorial 

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of sky and skyscraper

May be an image of 6 people and stadium 

7 hours ago, Irishman said:

Proposal pictures for Soldier Field have been leaked. The current rendition is just goofy....and honestly, it's poorly done, even on the inside. While I have not seen a football game there, I was there for a concert several years ago. I sat about midfield on the side, where the suites are in the top level. I was only 20 rows up, but the overhang from the level above us created an obstructed view. Not only was the view overhead limited, but I could only see a small part of the video screen. In this proposal, it does not look like they do much to fix the sight lines I mentioned. I think it is a much better look on the outside than what we currently see. 

So, Bears fans, what do you think? Is this a real option, or do they build a new stadium in another area? 
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/26/23278519/soldier-field-dome-renovation-mayor-lightfoot-taxpayer-public-projects-editorial 

From the headline:

taxpayers shouldn’t be made responsible for a billion-dollar stadium renovation.

I agree. Not for this ugly monstrosity or any stadium.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Irishman said:

I think this was a complete joke and publicity stunt for the Mayor's office to say they made a pitch to keep the Bears in Chicago. Yes, the same Mayor who said less than a year ago the Bears needed to focus on winning and not be asking for a better stadium. The Bears are currently in contract negotiations to purchase the old Arlington Race Track in Arlington Heights. They're not leaving that negotiation table to discuss  a new stadium with the city. ESPECIALLY, a stadium that the Chicago Parks Department will own and operate and still not be in the Top 10 attendance wise. The Bears can just build their own larger stadium in Arlington Heights and control all revenue. The other major elephant in the room is that a facelift to Soldier Field doesn't take away the fact it is in a very bad location. The parking is limited. It's basically sandwiched between Lake Shore Drive, a Museum, and McCormick's Place. It's not fan friendly at all to walk to. In Arlington Heights the Bears can build a full entertainment district like the one in Foxboro. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Boilernation said:

I think this was a complete joke and publicity stunt for the Mayor's office to say they made a pitch to keep the Bears in Chicago. Yes, the same Mayor who said less than a year ago the Bears needed to focus on winning and not be asking for a better stadium. The Bears are currently in contract negotiations to purchase the old Arlington Race Track in Arlington Heights. They're not leaving that negotiation table to discuss  a new stadium with the city. ESPECIALLY, a stadium that the Chicago Parks Department will own and operate and still not be in the Top 10 attendance wise. The Bears can just build their own larger stadium in Arlington Heights and control all revenue. The other major elephant in the room is that a facelift to Soldier Field doesn't take away the fact it is in a very bad location. The parking is limited. It's basically sandwiched between Lake Shore Drive, a Museum, and McCormick's Place. It's not fan friendly at all to walk to. In Arlington Heights the Bears can build a full entertainment district like the one in Foxboro. 

Nailed it! 

nfl owners are also getting wise.  

Jerry Jones owns everything around the cowboys stadium so that even if there is no football…he is making millions.  Other nfl teams have gone this way too.  The Packers have Titletown right next to Lambeau.

The bears are basically land locked Soldier Field and they are definitely moving…and you’re right it is a publicity stunt by the mayor who simply just doesn’t understand how things actually work.  

as a packer fan…I’m excited for the change because the bears need new life and I want the old rivalry games back where they were bigger games than the playoffs.  Those games are just timeless and it only works if the bears are also good.

with that said….the current bears front office would have botched drafting Mahomes and ruined him like they are doing to Justin Fields 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Nailed it! 

nfl owners are also getting wise.  

Jerry Jones owns everything around the cowboys stadium so that even if there is no football…he is making millions.  Other nfl teams have gone this way too.  The Packers have Titletown right next to Lambeau.

The bears are basically land locked Soldier Field and they are definitely moving…and you’re right it is a publicity stunt by the mayor who simply just doesn’t understand how things actually work.  

as a packer fan…I’m excited for the change because the bears need new life and I want the old rivalry games back where they were bigger games than the playoffs.  Those games are just timeless and it only works if the bears are also good.

with that said….the current bears front office would have botched drafting Mahomes and ruined him like they are doing to Justin Fields 

Haha...Honestly, I'm a little concerned the Bears front office will botch this entire plan and someone find themselves still playing in Soldier Field. They are beyond clueless when it comes to running a Pro Team. But, I'm assuming Jerry and Co. are coaching them along. You have to believe the NFL wants the Bears in Arlington Heights with a "Jerry World" atmosphere. Lorie Lightfoot also said the Bears couldn't keep the Chicago name if they moved to Arlington Heights. So freaking clueless. She apparently doesn't understand trademarks among MANY things.

• Haha 1

Bears LB Roquan Smith requests trade out of Chicago

https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-lb-roquan-smith-requests-trade-out-of-chicago

Roquan Smith's desire for a lucrative contract extension has yet to be addressed, and his camp's patience is running thin.

The linebacker has formally requested a trade, according to a statement released on Tuesday.

"The new front office regime doesn't value me here," Smith wrote in part. "They've refused to negotiate in good faith, every step of this journey has been 'take it or leave it'. The deal sent to me is one that would be bad for myself, and for the entire LB market if I signed it. I've been trying to get something done that's fair since April, but their focus has been on trying to take advantage of me.

"I wanted to be a Bear for my entire career, help this team bring a (Super Bowl) back to our city. However, they have left me no choice than to request a trade that allows me to play for an organization that truly values what I bring to the table.

"I haven't had the chance to talk to the McCaskey family, and maybe they can salvage this, but as of right now I don't see a path back to the organization I truly love."

Smith has consistently produced as one of Chicago's best defenders, earning two straight second-team All-Pro selections in his last two seasons. However, the Bears have yet to make Smith a serious offer for a long-term deal that would keep him in Chicago for years to come, prompting Smith to sit out of practice since training camp opened nearly two weeks ago.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Chicago's backloaded offer offended Smith because it wouldn't make him the top-paid LB in actual salary and included de-escalators that no other NFL contract of that magnitude featured.

The Bears will "respectfully wait to comment" on Smith's trade request, NFL Network's Stacey Dales reported.

The perception of Smith seems to vary depending on who you ask. He hasn't earned a Pro Bowl selection from the voting populace, but media members holding All-Pro votes haven't shied from recognizing his performance. Pro Football Focus doesn't hold the same opinion on Smith, whom the website sees as a middling defender, based on his best single-season defensive grade finishing at just 67.2.

Chicago seems to be following the same logic with Smith, who is due $9.7 million in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract.

The Bears are entering a new era under general manager Ryan Poles and coach Matt Eberflus, two men who had zero involvement with selecting Smith eighth overall in 2018. Although Smith has proven to be a quality linebacker, he's not a player Poles and Eberflus picked, nor is he one they're scrambling to lock up -- at least not as of now.

Chicago is in the midst of a rebuild of sorts, turning toward a younger roster with long-term goals in mind. Smith would seem to fit into such plans, unless he's not the ideal fit for the new regime.

We'll see if another team likes Smith enough to attempt to pry him from the Bears.

Yet just another example of the cheapo McCaskey family?  Or is Mr. Smith really just a middling defender and not worth a top-tier LB deal?

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Bears LB Roquan Smith requests trade out of Chicago

https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-lb-roquan-smith-requests-trade-out-of-chicago

Yet just another example of the cheapo McCaskey family?  Or is Mr. Smith really just a middling defender and not worth a top-tier LB deal?

He definitely is one of the elite talents at the LB position….but he’s an off ball linebacker so essentially he’s the RB of the defense and ultimately doesn’t make that big of an impact for winning NFL games 

with that said…the bears have plenty of cap space and they are trying to do him dirty.  They should pay him….this is the type of move that a team deep in cap problems would do…and a team that is a playoff team who is expected to contend….not the team currently projected to have the 1st overall pick 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Yeah, I was expecting this at some point. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who doesn't have an Agent, held out as a Rookie, and then complained this offseason when the Bears wouldn't make him the highest paid LB in the NFL. At this point it feels like the Bears got whatever they could for somebody they had zero interest in signing this offseason. Good luck to whichever team entertains contract talks with him. He clearly doesn't like honest feedback from a GM. 

31 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Seems like that will be a crowded field this year

The Bears cap space is crazy. Either Poles is a genius and will quickly turn the Bears around or the next 3 or so years are going to be very UGLY to watch.

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah, I was expecting this at some point. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who doesn't have an Agent, held out as a Rookie, and then complained this offseason when the Bears wouldn't make him the highest paid LB in the NFL. At this point it feels like the Bears got whatever they could for somebody they had zero interest in signing this offseason. Good luck to whichever team entertains contract talks with him. He clearly doesn't like honest feedback from a GM. 

The Bears cap space is crazy. Either Poles is a genius and will quickly turn the Bears around or the next 3 or so years are going to be very UGLY to watch.

Seems like every team in Chicago is being run the same way. I guess it's the Sox turn to start unloading? The Blackhawks and the Cubs sure have been....and it has been painful to watch. 

6 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Seems like every team in Chicago is being run the same way. I guess it's the Sox turn to start unloading? The Blackhawks and the Cubs sure have been....and it has been painful to watch. 

LOL...There's no telling what Reinsdorf would do to the Sox. He basically ruined them the past two seasons by insisting they hire his good friend Tony. It's been well documented by the Chicago media that he forced LaRussa onto his GM and President. He could be the worse owner in Pro Sports simply because he's awful in two different leagues. The Bulls have done absolutely nothing outside of hitting the generationaly lottery with Jordan. The year the Sox won the World Series could be the only year they've actually won a playoff series with Reinsdorf as the owner. If not, there's no way it's happened more than once. Honestly, between the Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and Purdue, I'm not really sure why I enjoy watching sports. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

LOL...There's no telling what Reinsdorf would do to the Sox. He basically ruined them the past two seasons by insisting they hire his good friend Tony. It's been well documented by the Chicago media that he forced LaRussa onto his GM and President. He could be the worse owner in Pro Sports simply because he's awful in two different leagues. The Bulls have done absolutely nothing outside of hitting the generationaly lottery with Jordan. The year the Sox won the World Series could be the only year they've actually won a playoff series with Reinsdorf as the owner. If not, there's no way it's happened more than once. Honestly, between the Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and Purdue, I'm not really sure why I enjoy watching sports. 

The Bears are really the only Chicago team I root for.   In baseball and hockey I'm a Detroit Tigers and Red Wings fan.  Go figure...................