Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2022

Bobref

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The Bears are really the only Chicago team I root for.   In baseball and hockey I'm a Detroit Tigers and Red Wings fan.  Go figure...................

Admittedly, I'm not much of a hockey fan. More of a occasionally watch the playoffs type of guy. What happened to the Red Wings? I remember them being so dominant back in my early years. I do like the Tigers. They are one team I wish was good every year. Can't believe they signed Javy in free agency. El Mago hasn't met a breaking ball in the dirt he doesn't like. 

I’m adrift in a world where the Chicago Bears do smart things: https://deadspin.com/i-m-adrift-in-a-world-where-the-chicago-bears-do-smart-1849726987

On the surface, trading a 25-year-old linebacker like Roquan Smith, who has flashed being one of the best in the game at times, doesn’t make a lot of sense. But getting a second and fifth from the Ravens is quite a bounty, especially when you consider that Von Miller netted a second and a third last year at the deadline and he plays a much more important position. GM Ryan Poles knows that the secondary and defensive line are the far more important sections of the defense. It’s becoming clear he knows the offense will need an overhaul. When you need two receivers, two offensive linemen, and at least the same number of defensive linemen, you’re probably not tempted to spend yet another summer explaining to Roquan why you can’t pay him $20 million a year because he represents himself like a jackass. You have to pile up the draft picks and keep the cap space powder dry.

It may work. It may not. What can’t be questioned is that for the first time in a long time, if ever, the Bears are streamlined. There is a plan, one being followed from the top down. Poles still has to nail a majority of the now nine picks he has in the draft (more may come later today before the trade deadline if he feels like jettisoning more of what isn’t battened down). He doesn’t have to use all the canyon of cap space he has now, but whatever he chooses to use better be crisp. The opportunity is exciting, but we’ve seen enough go sour around these parts to check ourselves before going overboard. Yet, it’s coming though.

More importantly, the Bears just might have the most important question answered. It’s only been two weeks in a row, and there’s still more road to cover, but Justin Fields flashes being the foundational piece the Bears have simply never had. They have all the ammo now to flank him with the help he’ll need. Much like we thought at the 2021 draft, they have the best QB from it. And we think that the more Trevor Lawrence continues to resemble Wild Thing Vaughn before he got glasses every Sunday.

The Bills did this. Three straight playoff appearances and are now the best team in the conference. The Dolphins did this and now have everyone’s attention, at least when they’re not actively killing both their quarterbacks.

It isn’t pleasant, and the next 10 weeks could be a very hard watch at times. But it’s sensible. It’s clearly thought out. It’s streamlined. All the things the Bears have never been. What a world. 

Hope springs eternal.

22 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I was hoping Green Bay would get him. I have been a fan since he became a starter at Notre Dame. Not so much now that he is a Bear though. 😄
https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-trading-wr-chase-claypool-to-bears-for-2023-second-round-pick 

Wow...just seeing this! I like this move.

56 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Wow...just seeing this! I like this move.

Yes, it actually seems like the front office actually has a plan. And next year, they have the most salary cap space of anyone in the league. Time to go get some starting offensive linemen… and draft a wide receiver.

• Like 1

I don't think I've man crushed a Pro coach/GM as much as I am with Poles so far.  Going back to stock piling picks last year when he had nothing to work with, not taking the bait in the 2nd round and get WR/OL, he took 2 defensive backs, now these moves here are just tremendous and thought out.    Now if he can get Eddie Jackson off my squad he should get a statue built 

I love how the Bears got Claypool bc Steelers knew they have worse record then Packers!!   Finally Beat those jerks at something !!! 

10 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The great owner Mike Ilitch died, and the franchise went downhill.

I'm a hockey fan, in fact hockey and auto racing are my two favorites.  I did see Wayne Gretzky score his first professional goal in 1978, while with the Indianapolis Racers.  I was a Racers season ticket holder at the time.  I hate Nelson Skalbania!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Bobref said:

Watching the first half of the Bears game, I was struck by an unfamiliar thought: the Bears appear to have a QB, a head coach, and an offensive coordinator… all working together, on the same page, and successful! 

Agreed...and then the 2nd half?? Not sure why Getsy is still having Fields run when he's cramping and his hurting. Looking forward to seeing this offense when Fields actually has some protection AND WR's that can seperate. He's shown some flahes of what he can do with his arm when he has time. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed...and then the 2nd half?? Not sure why Getsy is still having Fields run when he's cramping and his hurting. Looking forward to seeing this offense when Fields actually has some protection AND WR's that can seperate. He's shown some flahes of what he can do with his arm when he has time. 

What with their 8 draft choices and the most cap space in the league, they should be able to upgrade big time. There are a bunch of wide receivers available in the draft for rookie money, and a number of high end offensive linemen hitting the free agent market in 2023. They need both … badly.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

and once again, were competitive for most of the game and came away with the L.   2 more L's please and thank you 

what kind of haul can POLES get with a QB starved team comes a groveling 

Draft a wide receiver first, an OL second. Use cash in the free agent market to sign at least one quality wide receiver and at least a couple of OLs. Those are the priorities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

Dream scenario 

bears loses out

colts beat Texans 

bears get first pick

they trade 1st to Houston for 2nd and other assets as they get to pick their qb

trade the 2nd for more assets possibly colts pick and others?

Could probably afford to be a bit pickier. I am not sure there are many assets Houston or Indy have that would really improve a team. 

39 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Could probably afford to be a bit pickier. I am not sure there are many assets Houston or Indy have that would really improve a team. 

I’m not sure how colts salary cap looks but I’ve seen rumors oops I can’t talk about rumors here about deforest Buckner being traded

22 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Houston would just take best QB on their board at 2, only Ryan Pace would bid against himself to trade up 1 spot when there will be multiple options to choose from at the current draft spot 

Alluding to the mitchell trubisky episode well played 

On 12/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, Whiting89 said:

Dream scenario 

bears loses out

colts beat Texans 

bears get first pick

This would be incredible. I'm sure there a few teams desperate enough for a QB that would give up a lot to get ahead of Houston in the draft order. 

On 12/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, Bobref said:

Draft a wide receiver first, an OL second. Use cash in the free agent market to sign at least one quality wide receiver and at least a couple of OLs. Those are the priorities.

Every mock I've seen has the Bears taking either the DT from Georgia or Alabama. I know the Bears badly need a Tier 1 WR; however, can they really pass on of those DT's? The DL was gutted this year and either one of those guys should be an instant impact player.

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

This would be incredible. I'm sure there a few teams desperate enough for a QB that would give up a lot to get ahead of Houston in the draft order. 

Every mock I've seen has the Bears taking either the DT from Georgia or Alabama. I know the Bears badly need a Tier 1 WR; however, can they really pass on of those DT's? The DL was gutted this year and either one of those guys should be an instant impact player.

Justin Fields is the franchise. Doing whatever is best for his development is what’s best for the Bears.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Justin Fields is the franchise. Doing whatever is best for his development is what’s best for the Bears.

Agree on helping Fields, but, I just randomly looked at 2 Mock Drafts. Both had the Bears taking DL at 2 (Carter in one and Anderson in the other). Neither mock had a WR going in the Top 10. The 6'4 WR from TCU was the first WR being taken in both mocks. I don't know much about him. Jordan Addison was next and he's projecting at mid 1st round. You want the Bears to take a WR at 2 if the player isn't even a top 10-20 pick on most boards? IMO, that's very risky when you have the luxury of picking between Carter or Anderson.

Edited by Boilernation

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agree on helping Fields, but, I just randomly looked at 2 Mock Drafts. Both had the Bears taking DL at 2 (Carter in one and Anderson in the other). Neither mock had a WR going in the Top 10. The 6'4 WR from TCU was the first WR being taken in both mocks. I don't know much about him. Jordan Addison was next and he's projecting at mid 1st round. You want the Bears to take a WR at 2 if the player isn't even a top 10-20 pick on most boards? IMO, that's very risky when you have the luxury of picking between Carter or Anderson.

You’re absolutely right that the Bears don’t need to use the #2 pick to get a high quality WR. All the better. Trade down with that #2 to some QB-starved team for additional draft capital.