Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2022

Bobref

https://www.dabearsblog.com

If it were just about selecting a player, one could argue the difference between picking second and fifth isn’t that big a deal. Selecting players is a crap shoot. Don’t tell me you know what Jalen Carter or Will Anderson will be at the next level because you don’t. The fourth and fifth picks in 2022 – Sauce Gardner and Kayvon Thibodeaux – had significantly more impactful rookie campaigns than first overall pick Travon Walker. (Is there any question the Jags would take Sauce in a 2022 re-draft?)

What is not a crap shoot is the league’s consistently absurd overvaluing of quarterback prospects come draft time. The best years to select at the top of the draft are years where your team doesn’t need a quarterback and four-to-five QBs are projected into the first round. That’s exactly what 2023 looks like for the Chicago Bears. Ryan Wilson at CBS Sports projects four QBs in round one. Jamie Eisner at The Draft Network also projects four, with three of the first four picks being quarterbacks. Walter Football only projects three but all three gone in the first six picks. This may not be a draft deep at quarterback, but it is top heavy. And that’s when you want your pick at the top.

When you’re rebuilding your roster, the key is word is options. You re-sign key contributors to give yourself options in free agency. You’re judicious in free agency to give yourself options in the draft. And the higher the draft pick in the first round, the more options you have at that event. If the Bears have the first or second pick, they will have multiple teams making offers. There is no question about it. Look at how many teams currently slotted in the top 15 need QBS: Houston (1st), Seattle (3rd), Indianapolis (5th), Atlanta (6th), Detroit (7th), Carolina (8th), Vegas (9th), Tennessee (13th) and the Jets (15th). You can nitpick these quarterbacks all you like, but historically NFL franchises err on the side of hope.

The Bears will play Sunday. And with their rushing attack, and the porous Detroit rush defense, they could actually win the game. But with a roster in turnover, and the rostered group decimated by injury, it is hard to argue the positives of that potential victory. Having the first pick in the 2023 NFL Draft gives the Bears the clearest path to a quick turnaround. That means losing on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

also, Sounds like B10 Commish Warren is heavy favorite to take over as President of Bears 

You or I would be an upgrade over Ted Phillips. Only in Halas Hall could an Accountant work his way up the org chart and land the role of President over football operations. This is promising to see McCaskey appears to bringing in someone that actually understands how a sports entity is ran.

• Haha 1

I just heard that Warren was involved in the building of US Bank Stadium when he was the COO for the Vikings. Seems like a no brainer considering his experience with the Big Ten as well as the fact the Bears have a massive construction progress on the horizon in Arlington Heights.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Man, your medication definitely needs adjusting.

I’m just saying if you are a talent scout which none of us are on this board and you project Bryce in the burrow, Mahomes, and Arodg class wouldn’t you be doing disservice to the organization by not making that move?

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

I’m just saying if you are a talent scout which none of us are on this board and you project Bryce in the burrow, Mahomes, and Arodg class wouldn’t you be doing disservice to the organization by not making that move?

The problem is, you can’t view a single draft choice in isolation. They have Justin Fields. Most people think he has a very high ceiling. The question is not whether Bryce Young is going to be better than Fields. The question is how much better the Bears team would be with Young, plus whatever you could get for Fields, vs. with Fields, plus whatever you can get for that #1 pick. It’s not nearly as simple as whether Young projects to be better. How much better? After all, the object is to have the best team, not necessarily the best QB.

All I’ll say is that the most valuable thing to have in the NFL is the #1 draft choice … and not be in need of a QB.

49 minutes ago, Bobref said:

The problem is, you can’t view a single draft choice in isolation. They have Justin Fields. Most people think he has a very high ceiling. The question is not whether Bryce Young is going to be better than Fields. The question is how much better the Bears team would be with Young, plus whatever you could get for Fields, vs. with Fields, plus whatever you can get for that #1 pick. It’s not nearly as simple as whether Young projects to be better. How much better? After all, the object is to have the best team, not necessarily the best QB.

All I’ll say is that the most valuable thing to have in the NFL is the #1 draft choice … and not be in need of a QB.

I agree with any scenario would be fine with me except standing pat and drafting a defender 

in regards to Justin fields it’s tough because of the financials, it’s probably very tempting to get another rookie qb on a 5 year deal at a bargain vs field expiring in 2-3 years and having to resign or franchise 

that’s why poles gets paid so much to make these tough decisions 

20 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Didn't read the entire thread Bob....are you thinking the Bears will trade out of that pick and acquire multiple picks??

That’s what I’d do. They gave up their 2nd round to get Claypool. That’s a pretty good pick, it’ll be the 32nd player taken. Would be nice to recoup that, since they overpaid on that occasion.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

Young was making throws in the Sugar Bowl game that I've yet to see Fields make. Personally I think the juries still out on whether or not Fields can be a true franchise caliber QB. He's obviously a great athlete and has shown flashes but nothing sustained in the passing game (and don't tell me that's just on not having good receivers). There were games even at the end of the year you could tell the coaching staff didn't trust him enough to start airing the ball out. However, I think the Bears should trade down (maybe even multiple times). They've got one of the worst rosters top to bottom in the league. The defense (outside of the secondary) is horrendous and the O-Line and receiving corps in total are dreadful as well. Even though I'm much more skeptical than most, to me, Fields has earned the right to see show how far he can go as a QB in the league.  

12 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Young was making throws in the Sugar Bowl game that I've yet to see Fields make. Personally I think the juries still out on whether or not Fields can be a true franchise caliber QB. He's obviously a great athlete and has shown flashes but nothing sustained in the passing game (and don't tell me that's just on not having good receivers). There were games even at the end of the year you could tell the coaching staff didn't trust him enough to start airing the ball out. However, I think the Bears should trade down (maybe even multiple times). They've got one of the worst rosters top to bottom in the league. The defense (outside of the secondary) is horrendous and the O-Line and receiving corps in total are dreadful as well. Even though I'm much more skeptical than most, to me, Fields has earned the right to see show how far he can go as a QB in the league.  

Yeah it’s tough to judge fields because we don’t see the all 22 films so is it the qb the receivers the o line or a combo of all of them?

there is no doubt he is a top notch runner but how is that working out for the ravens?

18 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

in regards to Justin fields it’s tough because of the financials, it’s probably very tempting to get another rookie qb on a 5 year deal at a bargain vs field expiring in 2-3 years and having to resign or franchise 

This morning on ESPN I heard Mike Tannenbaum say the Bears should trade Fields for a #1 and a #2, and draft Bryce Young with the #1 pick, so they can “restart the rookie salary scale clock.”

Sorry, I can’t get behind the idea of building my franchise around a QB in the age of RPOs who is 6’ and 190 lbs. He might have generational skills. But the most important ability in the NFL is “availability.” After watching what Jalen Hurts has done for Philly this season, and the vast improvement in his passing skills, that’s what I want for my QB. Fields is bigger, faster, and has a better arm than Hurts. If he spends the off season working on technique and mechanics, and they use the draft and their salary cap halfway intelligently, he will break out next season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Agreed.  The Bears should trade this pick to the Colts for Leonard, Buckner, and Paye, or a 2-player combination of those two and some draft picks.

Edited by Muda69

11 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Anyone seen this?  Impressive. 

Yet another taxpayer funded boondoggle.  I'll pass.

Let the Bears ownership pay for a new stadium out of their pocket. Like the Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins, and Panthers, Giants/Jets, and Rams/Chargers.