Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2022

Bobref

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yet another taxpayer funded boondoggle.  I'll pass.

Let the Bears ownership pay for a new stadium out of their pocket. Like the Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins, and Panthers, Giants/Jets, and Rams/Chargers.

you are partly correct....for example, the Dolphins owner is funding the stadium upgrade after being turned down.  But there was plenty of taxpayer investment for the original stadium construction.

Also, the Dolphins owner will absolutely gain public benefit......his investment comes with a cost.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2014/3/12/5500224/dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-to-privately-fund-stadium-upgrades-wants

According to a March 31, 2022 article by the Buffalo News, only Gillette (Pats), MetLife (Giants/Jets) and SoFi (Rams/Chargers) were constructed without any public funding.

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

gotcha....the video was dang cool.  They need to have an option to close the stadium. Would absolutely help the passing game and be more attractive to FA QB's

Yeah, the Bears are already in contracts negotiations to purchase the massive property once owned by Arlington International Racecourse. They are rumored to be closing in Q4 of this year. They aren't even entertaining the idea of staying at Soldier Field, which would still be owned by the City of Chicago. Lightfood is just trying to save face to the casual fans who will be foolish enough to think she tried to keep the Bears in Chicago. They technically don't even reside in Chicago as is. Their HQ and training facilities, Halas Hall, is in the northern suburb of Lake Forest. The Bears are finally doing the right thing and building their own stadium with a surrounding entertainment district as opposed to continue to pay rent to play in a dump owned by the Chicago Parks Dept.

I believe the roof will be closed or at the very least retractable. They're going to be want to host Final Fours and get a Super Bowl.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 4

Very interesting food for thought. Discuss. Love to hear what @Coach Nowlinthinks of this wheelin’ & dealin’.

https://clutchpoints.com/4-trades-bears-must-make-no-1-overall-pick-2023-nfl-draft

4 trades Bears must make with No. 1 overall pick in 2023 NFL Draft

The last Chicago Bears No. 1 pick was Oklahoma A&M running back Bob Fenimore in 1947. Before that, it was Michigan RB Tom Harmon in 1941. Harmon never played for the Bears, and Fenimore had a grand total of 53 carries for 189 yards and a touchdown in his lone NFL season. It’s safe to say the top Bears NFL draft picks ever haven’t worked out all that well. Between that and not needing a quarterback with Justin Fields in place a Bears trade out of the No. 1 slot makes sense. Here are the four best Bears draft trades they can make with the first overall pick.

4. To No. 16 from the Washington Commanders

Heading into the 2023 NFL season, the Bears’ biggest needs are at edge-rusher, defensive tackle, and offensive line. There are high-end prospects at all three positions available at the Bears’ No. 1 pick (Alabama EDGE Will Anderson Jr., Georgia DT Jalen Carter, Ohio State OT Paris Johnson).

However, there are plenty of players at all these positions available in the mid-first round, and a Bears trade that moves the team back a bit will net them an excellent prospect as well as future draft capital, which the team needs to reset its roster.

The Bears will target QB-needy teams, and the furthest they should trade back is to No. 16. A trade with the Commanders would get them a top 15 non-QB prospect (assuming two to three QBs in the first few picks) and the most draft capital of all these trades.

At No. 16, the Bears NFL draft could net them players like Georgia OT Broderick Jones, Florida OG O’Cyrus Torrence, or Georgia EDGE Nolan Smith.

3. To No. 9 from the Carolina Panthers

Dropping back to No. 16 is a little unnecessary, though, as there are several teams in the top 10 who desperately need a QB in 2023. A great Bears trade would be dropping back to No. 9 and allowing the Panthers to come up to the top of the draft.

Panthers owner David Tepper seems desperate to find a franchise QB, and he’s a go-big-or-go-home hedge fund guy, so the Bears might get more from the Panthers than most other teams.

A Bears trade like this could bring back No. 9, a 2024 first-rounder, and 2023 second- and third-round picks. That is a new roster in a single swoop, which is why this is one of the Bears draft trades the organization should consider.

At No. 9, the Bears could grab Northwestern OT Peter Skoronski, Texas Tech EDGE Tyree Wilson, or maybe even Paris Johnson if he falls a bit.

2. To No. 4 from the Indianapolis Colts

The best part of a Bears’ No. 1 pick trade is they don’t have to move back that far to get solid value. Simply by moving back three spots, Chicago could get a 2024 first and a few other later-round picks to help improve the team’s talent.

Trading with the Colts so they can pick a QB is smart because the Colts and Texans will take quarterbacks, Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, guaranteeing the Bears still get either Will Anderson Jr. or Jalen Carter.

The return won’t be as big only going back to No. 4, but because QBs are involved, a future first-round pick should still be on the table.

1. To No. 2 from the Houston Texans

The best of all the Bears draft trades would be moving back one spot and swapping picks with the Texans. Chicago can get an extra draft pick (maybe even the No. 12 pick the Texans got in the Deshaun Watson trade with the Cleveland Browns), and still get the best non-QB in the draft.

And best of all, this could allow the Bears’ No. 1 pick to turn into even more picks. Now sitting at No. 2, there could be a second Bears trade with the Colts where Chicago adds yet another future first-rounder so that the Colts can go up to get whoever is left at QB between Young and Stroud.

Then, want to get really wild with the Bears NFL draft in 2023? With the Colts’ No. 4 pick, Ryan Poles moves back yet again, trading back to No. 9 with the Panthers so they can trade up to draft Kentucky QB Will Levis.

That means with three Bears draft trades, the team gets (at least) three additional first-round picks, and with three QBs gone in the top four, the Bears get one of the top five non-quarterbacks on the board this year. Pretty amazing, right?

Feel free to steal this idea, Ryan

Edited by Bobref

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, was the Texans’ win over the Colts Louie Smith’s biggest win for the Bears? 😂🤣😅

Ha! I heard on Chicago ESPN radio that Lovie was already told before the game that he wasn't returning. I can't believe they actually let him coach the final game when all they needed was a loss to secure the #1 pick and Young.

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

I will take bad takes for 1,000 Alex lol 

I've heard a few callers on ESPN Chicago with the same take. Dumb. Just dumb. I think @Bobref mentioned somewhere that the Bears can do more with their picks to build a team if they're not replacing a QB. And they desperately need as much talent as they can get. It's possible that they have the worst roster in the NFL.

I just heard about this article from NBC Chicago. After reading this it's comical that Lightfoot and her minions are now acting like they want to keep the Bears in Chicago. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/emails-show-how-the-relationship-between-the-bears-and-chicago-officials-turned-toxic-before-arlington-heights-bid/3027076/

50 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I just heard about this article from NBC Chicago. After reading this it's comical that Lightfoot and her minions are now acting like they want to keep the Bears in Chicago. 

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/emails-show-how-the-relationship-between-the-bears-and-chicago-officials-turned-toxic-before-arlington-heights-bid/3027076/

She is in a desperate re-election fight. She can hardly run on her record. Besides, she looks like Beetlejuice.

image.jpeg.4e68605f155a4a8d00aab3889fdcbcfb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

She is in a desperate re-election fight. She can hardly run on her record. Besides, she looks like Beetlejuice.

image.jpeg.4e68605f155a4a8d00aab3889fdcbcfb.jpeg

It would be a monumental failure if she's re-elected. The best was when the audio leaked during the summer of protests when she was on a conference call with all Alderman's and she tried blowing off a south side Alderman who was begging her for more support because his neighborhood was getting destroyed every night. She told him he didn't know what he was talking about and he went ballistic on her. Someone in the know leaked that call to the media.

Edited by Boilernation

48 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It would be a monumental failure if she's re-elected. The best was when the audio leaked during the summer of protests when she was on a conference call with all Alderman's and she tried blowing off a south side Alderman who was begging her for more support because his neighborhood was getting destroyed every night. She told him he didn't know what he was talking about and he went ballistic on her. Someone in the know leaked that call to the media.

I don’t know if this is the case as I been out of area for 5 years but the mayor of Chicago isn’t a job anyone wants based on the crime, pension funding, and other issues it’s a lose lose position.

11 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I don’t know if this is the case as I been out of area for 5 years but the mayor of Chicago isn’t a job anyone wants based on the crime, pension funding, and other issues it’s a lose lose position.

Oh, there are plenty of people who want it. Just no one competent.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

That's very well possible. I will say I can't think of a single Mayor that allowed this much crime to run rampant in the desirable neighborhoods in the heart of the city like River North, Gold Coast, Michigan Ave, etc. 

Richard M Daily wouldn't stand for it. 

Edited by Boilernation

1.  I know I am no NFL personnel guy, but if I am Houston, how do you give up any capital to move up PACE style 1 pick? I do not see that big of difference between Stroud and Young:   However, I would be worried about 6'0 qbs, but thats just me. 

2.  Logical, Panthers/Colts.   

3.  No Costner, Draft Day scenarios will unfold, they will hopefully make 1 real good trade, stay in top tier of picks and get more picks in process

Try to sign Hopkins or trade for Adams with FA capital 

Also, Love Smith:  BEAR 4 LIFE 

but I wil die on the hill that Bears franchise set back 15 years when they fired him after 10-6 season , man his teams played hard for him 

• Like 1

Chicago Bears name B1G commish Kevin Warren as team president: https://deadspin.com/bears-expected-to-name-b1g-commish-kevin-warren-as-team-1849979593

Soon-to-be former Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren is expected to take over as CEO and president of the Chicago Bears, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The move comes amid a rebuild with the team finishing the year 3-14, and landing the No. 1 pick in the draft. This is a vital stretch for the Bears as they have plenty of decisions to make that will dictate how well and how fast Chicago returns to relevance.

Warren, who has worked previously with two other NFC North teams (Vikings and Lions), will no doubt assist GM Ryan Poles on what to do with the pick. There are a number of QBs available who will draw attention from teams in the market for one, and with the luxury of Justin Fields on a rookie contract, Chicago has plenty of options to trade down and surround him with the talent that was clearly missing this season.

Warren took over the conference in 2019 and will be gone before his biggest move is finalized. The next B1G commissioner will now oversee the additions of USC and UCLA into a league set to span from L.A. to New Brunswick, N.J., and all the headaches that come with figuring out the minutiae of travel for every sport from football to track and field.

From a macro viewpoint, it’s a blow for college athletics because the knee-jerk reaction is that Warren took a demotion. Commissioner of one of the biggest conferences in the NCAA to president of a sole NFL franchise isn’t a move I can remember seeing before.

We’ve been told about the upheaval facing college athletics for a while, and I’m fascinated to hear Warren address his reasons for the move. The Big 12 and Pac-12 just got new overlords, and now so will the Big Ten with the expansion wars ongoing and the issue of paying players always looming.

Interesting move by Mr. Warren.

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

1.  I know I am no NFL personnel guy, but if I am Houston, how do you give up any capital to move up PACE style 1 pick? I do not see that big of difference between Stroud and Young:   However, I would be worried about 6'0 qbs, but thats just me. 

3.  No Costner, Draft Day scenarios will unfold, they will hopefully make 1 real good trade, stay in top tier of picks and get more picks in process

but I wil die on the hill that Bears franchise set back 15 years when they fired him after 10-6 season , man his teams played hard for him 

Curveball you know how nba has tank for victor? Well next year Caleb Williams available so I’ve seen scenarios with Texans taking a defender with 2nd pick. Caleb Williams projected to be up there with luck Lawrence and all other number 1s

So this might hurt bears value on number 1 pick if teams are taking a longer term view 

Also Hopkins under contract so I don’t think they can sign him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Agree big time with #1. Young is 6'0 190. That's even smaller than Tua who is taking a beating. For comparison, Fields is 6'3 225. Also, by all accounts from the Chicago media and Bears leadership, Fields handles himself with a lot of maturity and has already established himself as a leader in the lockerroom. Getting back on topic, why is Young consistantly ahead of Stroud in mocks? I don't see enough of a difference as well for Houston to be worried about getting the #1.  My guess is the Colts will be the team to trade up to get the #1. Ballard said he would do whatever it takes to get a QB at the top of the draft. It could have just been an off-hand comment to a beat reporter from The Star, but we all know the Colts desperately need a franchise QB.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Curveball you know how nba has tank for victor? Well next year Caleb Williams available so I’ve seen scenarios with Texans taking a defender with 2nd pick. Caleb Williams projected to be up there with luck Lawrence and all other number 1s

So this might hurt bears value on number 1 pick if teams are taking a longer term view 

Also Hopkins under contract so I don’t think they can sign him

Whoops, I was chatting with one of my buddies, PATS fan, made it sound like he could be signed by PATS, assumed he had a opt out on his contract, but correct, 2 years left, hefty price

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Chicago Bears name B1G commish Kevin Warren as team president: https://deadspin.com/bears-expected-to-name-b1g-commish-kevin-warren-as-team-1849979593

Interesting move by Mr. Warren.

Love the move for the Bears

On 1/11/2023 at 2:01 PM, Boilernation said:

That's very well possible. I will say I can't think of a single Mayor that allowed this much crime to run rampant in the desirable neighborhoods in the heart of the city like River North, Gold Coast, Michigan Ave, etc. 

Richard M Daily wouldn't stand for it. 

I'm disappointed that this thread turned political.  There are many other places to discuss this subject.  I expect this site to be about football.

11 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I'm disappointed that this thread turned political.  There are many other places to discuss this subject.  I expect this site to be about football.

When the city owns the field you play on its hard not to have political conversations 

here you go Jack sanborn makes this team as the best team money can buy

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-best-team-money-can-buy-at-2022-seasons-end-includes-jalen-hurts-at-qb-nick-chubb-at-rb/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

When the city owns the field you play on its hard not to have political conversations 

here you go Jack sanborn makes this team as the best team money can buy

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-best-team-money-can-buy-at-2022-seasons-end-includes-jalen-hurts-at-qb-nick-chubb-at-rb/

Committing on the Mayor has nothing to do with the game of football.  Never mind, some just can't help it.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, PHJIrish said:

Committing on the Mayor has nothing to do with the game of football.  Never mind, some just can't help it.

The conversation isn't the game of footall. It's the Bears either staying at Solider Field or relocating to Arlington Heights. She brought herself into the discussion last year when she publically tweeted the Bears should be more focused on not losing to Green Bay again than asking for a new stadium.  Her and her office have been a major hinderance to the Bears (who pay rent to play in Soldier Field) getting any improvements done at Soldier Field. Again, considering we're talking about building a new stadium here and the mayor commissioned the design of a complex that'll never be built, it's only fair to mention she's a struggling Mayor who is grasping at straws to save her re-election bid.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

LIstened to an ESPN Chicago interview with Kevin Warren now that he's making the media rounds in Chicago. As expected, he's fully committed to building a stadium in Arlington Heights. It's also refreshing to hear the President of the Chicago Bears actually sound intelligent when it comes to football. Warren is only the 2nd non McCaskey family member to be CEO/President of the Chicago Bears. Considering Ted Phillips was just a Finance guy forced to oversee football operations, it's safe to say  this is the first time the Bears are being led by someone who understands leadership in athletics. Unfortunately, I'm already drinking the koolaid on the Bears future. 

• Like 2