Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue Wallops IU on Draft Day - Is this a referendum on Brohm-Allen performance comparison?

Purdue Wallops IU on Draft Day - Is this a referendum on Brohm-Allen performance comparison?
Boilers get 3 picks in the draft:
George Karlaftis - RD1 Kansas City
David Bell - RD 3 Cleveland
Zander Horvath - RD 7 San Diego

IU gets 1
Micah McFadden - RD 5 New York Giants

PU has 5 or 6 Free agent signings :
DeMarcus Mitchell - New England
Jaylan Alexander - Chicago
Tyler Witt - Atlanta
Jackson Anthrop - Indianapolis
Greg Long - TBA
Dedrick Mackey - TBA

IU has 4 FA signings :
Ty Fryfogle : Dallas
Peyton Hendershot : Dallas
Caleb Brown - Green Bay
Raheeme Layne - San Diego

Coming out of the 2021 season, IU had the 8th ranked roster in the Big 10, while Purdue's talent was ranked 12th.
Purdue smoked IU 44-10 in the season ending matchup between the two teams.

IUs 2022 Recruiting Class is ranked 5th in the Big Ten , and features "4" Four Star Recruits. Purdue's class is ranked 9th in the conference, with "3" Four Star recruits headlining the group.

Jeff Brohm is 28-29 in 5 seasons at Purdue, with 3 bowl appearances, including 2 wins.

Tom Allen is 26-32 in 5 seasons at Indiana, and winless in 3 bowl games.

At this point, Brohm clearly has the edge in the matchup between the two Head Coaches. His team is coming off a 9-4 season, and his program is producing NFL talent at a higher level than is his top in state competitor.

IU is coming off a 2-10 season and was winless in conference play in 2021.

The rosters, while nearly equal in overall talent, seem to heading in different directions.

Brohm's big 2021 season and his ability to develop big time talent have put him back on the map in terms of higher level college football jobs, as well as consideration for coordinator and head coaching positions in the NFL.

Allen could very well be coaching to save his job in 2022.

1200px-Purdue_Boilermakers_logo.svg.png

pros-and-cons-of-the-new-big-ten-logo-innis-maggiore.jpg

NFL_Draft_logo.svg.png

logo_-indiana-university-hoosiers-iu-white-with-red-outline.png

I mean Notre Dame only had 2 players drafted and like 4 or 5 UFA. Kelly and Freeman on hot seats too???

Just now, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I mean Notre Dame only had 2 players drafted and like 4 or 5 UFA. Kelly and Freeman on hot seats too???

And Purdue benefitted greatly from a 5* DL from their own backyard and a generational type receiver in Bell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southend said:

The edge you talk about, while maybe true , is slim. Both are sucking hind tit in the scheme things in the BIG. 

Whats your take if IU goes 1-11 this year, 0-9 in conference?

Does Allen get another year?

I dont see a conference win on the schedule.

We wont beat UC on the road.  WKU is dangerous.

Could get very ugly in Bloomington.

PU has momentum off 9-4 season.

BT West is weak.

47 minutes ago, HHF said:

Whats your take if IU goes 1-11 this year, 0-9 in conference?

Does Allen get another year?

I dont see a conference win on the schedule.

We wont beat UC on the road.  WKU is dangerous.

Could get very ugly in Bloomington.

PU has momentum off 9-4 season.

BT West is weak.

Buyout is still over $15mil. He’s not getting fired next year regardless of what happens. 

I’ve seen worse IU teams finish better than 1-11 and next year isn’t anywhere close to the worst fielded IU team. Literally everything that had to go wrong for IU to finish 2-10 last year happened and then some. Bowl eligibility will be tough to come by as always playing in the East but I still see 4-5 wins.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Buyout is still over $15mil. He’s not getting fired next year regardless of what happens. 

I’ve seen worse IU teams finish better than 1-11 and next year isn’t anywhere close to the worst fielded IU team. Literally everything that had to go wrong for IU to finish 2-10 last year happened and then some. Bowl eligibility will be tough to come by as always playing in the East but I still see 4-5 wins.

Rutgers is much improved under Schiano and they smoked IU last year 38-3 in Bloomington.  RU will be heavily favored to win at home.

Illinois will be a new team in Bielema's second year, a clone of Wisconsin, which is IUs biggest nightmare.

I dont see us beating Nebraska

Maryland has much more talent, especially with 4 star recruits.  They have 14, IU has 7.  Terps should beat IU handily if we base contest solely on talent matchup.

PS/OSU/MSU/UM - forget it.

Cincinnatti on the road - forget it.

Idaho - we should win that one.

Western KY - we've lost to many MAC schools before.  

Purdue - they beat us by 5 TDs in 2021.  What do we have coming up that will reverse that result?

IUs entire season rests on the shoulders of transfer Mizzou QB Connor Bazelak. He started 20 games for the Tigers and is a legit P5 D1 QB.  Thankfully our season does not rest on Donaven McCulley's shoulders.

1 minute ago, HHF said:

Rutgers is much improved under Schiano and they smoked IU last year 38-3 in Bloomington.  RU will be heavily favored to win at home.

Illinois will be a new team in Bielema's second year, a clone of Wisconsin, which is IUs biggest nightmare.

I dont see us beating Nebraska

Maryland has much more talent, especially with 4 star recruits.  They have 14, IU has 7.  Terps should beat IU handily if we base contest solely on talent matchup.

PS/OSU/MSU/UM - forget it.

Cincinnatti on the road - forget it.

Idaho - we should win that one.

Western KY - we've lost to many MAC schools before.  

Purdue - they beat us by 5 TDs in 2021.  What do we have coming up that will reverse that result?

IUs entire season rests on the shoulders of transfer Mizzou QB Connor Bazelak. He started 20 games for the Tigers and is a legit P5 D1 QB.  Thankfully our season does not rest on Donaven McCulley's shoulders.

If IU has the same injury (un)luck it incurred last year, then sure, anything is on the table. But I don't foresee IU starting a true freshman at QB for the second half of the season nor do I see their RB rotation featuring multiple walk-ons and true freshmen. 

IU getting Allen back as it's full-time defensive play caller should help immensely.  

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If IU has the same injury (un)luck it incurred last year, then sure, anything is on the table. But I don't foresee IU starting a true freshman at QB for the second half of the season nor do I see their RB rotation featuring multiple walk-ons and true freshmen. 

IU getting Allen back as it's full-time defensive play caller should help immensely.  

Im tired of all the "LEO" BS.

We got our butts kicked all over the field last year and 2020 was a pandemic fluke.  The reason we have so many injuries is do to the fact that the roster is filled with sub par athletes who cant take the pounding of BT football.

Allen's pixie dust has run dry.  Indiana football's only hope is that the BT scraps its divisions and goes to an 8 game conference schedule, which is being discussed.  The conference wants to create a BT-PAC12-ACC Alliance to offset the SECs addition of OU and TEX.  The quicker IU can get away from OSU/PSU/UM the better.  Then we will pick up games like NC State, Oregon State, Arizona, Boston College, etc.  

4 minutes ago, HHF said:

Im tired of all the "LEO" BS.

We got our butts kicked all over the field last year and 2020 was a pandemic fluke.  The reason we have so many injuries is do to the fact that the roster is filled with sub par athletes who cant take the pounding of BT football.

Allen's pixie dust has run dry.  Indiana football's only hope is that the BT scraps its divisions and goes to an 8 game conference schedule, which is being discussed.  The conference wants to create a BT-PAC12-ACC Alliance to offset the SECs addition of OU and TEX.  The quicker IU can get away from OSU/PSU/UM the better.  Then we will pick up games like NC State, Oregon State, Arizona, Boston College, etc.  

I’d call the pandemic year a fluke if they didn’t go 8-5 the year prior. I think your injury take is nonsense. Penix, Matthews (Florida State), Carr (Southern California), and Mullen (All-American) doesn’t align with your subpar athlete narrative and when 4 or 5 of your top players all miss significant time, it’s going to reflect in the W-L column. IU is recruiting at a level they never have before and hit the portal hard this off-season to add quality talent and depth all across the defensive line. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I’d call the pandemic year a fluke if they didn’t go 8-5 the year prior. I think your injury take is nonsense. Penix, Matthews (Florida State), Carr (Southern California), and Mullen (All-American) doesn’t align with your subpar athlete narrative and when 4 or 5 of your top players all miss significant time, it’s going to reflect in the W-L column. IU is recruiting at a level they never have before and hit the portal hard this off-season to add quality talent and depth all across the defensive line. 

Im more skeptical now than Ive ever been during the Allen era.  Im not sure there is a pro prospect on the current roster.  Most of our recent 4 stars have been duds.  Our offensive line looked below MAC level at the end of last season.  We have a one and done QB coming in to take over.  I wish I shared your optimism, but I dont see where it is coming from.  The team was uncompetitive and overmatched last year.  The Rutgers loss should tell you something about this team.  And a killer like Schiano will want a bigger margin of victory this year, at home.  

TA is set for life, but the school way overpaid for premature , non lasting results.  

1 minute ago, HHF said:

Im more skeptical now than Ive ever been during the Allen era.  Im not sure there is a pro prospect on the current roster.  Most of our recent 4 stars have been duds.  Our offensive line looked below MAC level at the end of last season.  We have a one and done QB coming in to take over.  I wish I shared your optimism, but I dont see where it is coming from.  The team was uncompetitive and overmatched last year.  The Rutgers loss should tell you something about this team.  And a killer like Schiano will want a bigger margin of victory this year, at home.  

TA is set for life, but the school way overpaid for premature , non lasting results.  

Hogwash.

Taiwan Mullen is most definitely a pro prospect and was a freshman AA and then a 2nd team AA as a sophomore who played the entirety of last year hurt and missed several games. Jaylin Williams and Monster Matthews as well as Cam Jones also have a very good chance of being drafted. QB coming in has 3 years of eligibility left. Redshirted as a freshman, played two at Mizzou and has two years left + a COVID year if he wants it. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Hogwash.

Taiwan Mullen is most definitely a pro prospect and was a freshman AA and then a 2nd team AA as a sophomore who played the entirety of last year hurt and missed several games. Jaylin Williams and Monster Matthews as well as Cam Jones also have a very good chance of being drafted. QB coming in has 3 years of eligibility left. Redshirted as a freshman, played two at Mizzou and has two years left + a COVID year if he wants it. 

Good to hear about the QB.  I say 3-9. 1-8 BT   Whats your call?

4 minutes ago, HHF said:

Good to hear about the QB.  I say 3-9. 1-8 BT   Whats your call?

If I had to bet, 4-8. Beat Illinois, Maryland, Idaho, WKU. Will be competitive with Cincy, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Purdue. 

I'm down on IU and Allen as much as the next guy, but do think last year was an aberration. I do think IU came in last year with way too much overinflated confidence and had a few unlucky breaks and bounces go against them early in the season that snowballed into the disaster you saw last year once the injuries starting piling up. I hate to say it, but last years team quit 3/4 into the season. Wasn't a good look for Allen. 

Edited by Footballking16

56 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

If I had to bet, 4-8. Beat Illinois, Maryland, Idaho, WKU. Will be competitive with Cincy, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Purdue. 

I'm down on IU and Allen as much as the next guy, but do think last year was an aberration. I do think IU came in last year with way too much overinflated confidence and had a few unlucky breaks and bounces go against them early in the season that snowballed into the disaster you saw last year once the injuries starting piling up. I hate to say it, but last years team quit 3/4 into the season. Wasn't a good look for Allen. 

You sure sounded a lot more optimistic than 4-8.  

1 minute ago, HHF said:

You sure sounded a lot more optimistic than 4-8.  

I do think bowl eligibility is a possibility and should be the goal every year in Bloomington, but I wouldn't bet on it. Only way that is going to happen is if the OL takes a huge step forward (wouldn't count on it with Hiller still employed; one of Allen's biggest flaws as a head coach) and some of the skill position transfers make day 1 impacts. The JUCO kid they signed at wideout can absolutely fly and I like the toughness and versatility of the RB they bring in from Auburn. 

I do think the defense is good enough to keep IU in just about every game if they go back to forcing turnovers like they did in 2020 and 2021 which has been a staple under Allen. The guy Allen brought in last year was not aggressive in dialing up and disguising blitzed like you saw in previous years and with Allen reverting back to play-calling duties you'll see a much more aggressive defense. 

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

IU:  Nowhere as good as their record in 2020…nowhere near as bad as their record in 2021.

Can we all agree on that statement?

2021 was closer to reality

14 minutes ago, HHF said:

2021 was closer to reality

How? Tom Allen before last year had gone:

5-7

5-7

8-5

6-2

IU hasn't had a comparable season since Kevin Wilson's inaugural year where they went 1-11. 

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

IU:  Nowhere as good as their record in 2020…nowhere near as bad as their record in 2021.

Can we all agree on that statement?

More than fair although IU was bad last year, no sugarcoating it. Would be a lot more alarmed though with how 2021 ended if it was the same personnel on the field that started the season. IU was forced to play a ton of guys at the end of the year that had no business playing. It is what it is. Call it Allen's mulligan.

Edited by Footballking16

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

5-7

5-7

8-5

6-2

IU hasn't had a comparable season since Kevin Wilson's inaugural year where they went 1-11. 

More than fair. 

Last season took me back to the dark days.  Fact is, IU built those early Allen records on the backs of weak non con competition and wins over terrible Rutgers and Purdue teams.  A win is a win, it is what it is.  But quality wins have been rare .  Is there not a reasonable expectation that in Year 5 of a coaches tenure, the wheels should be humming.  The program fully and completely belongs to him.  IU looked like one of the worst teams in the country at the end of last season.  We continue to lose coaches and players to the portal.  Allens 4 stars have been disapointing.  There is little reason for optimism, as everyone else is getting much better in the conference, and they have deeper, more experienced staffs. No coach wants to coach at IU.  They settle on IU when all other options are gone

Edited by HHF

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

5-7

5-7

8-5

6-2

More than fair although IU was bad last year, no sugarcoating it. Would be a lot more alarmed though with how 2021 ended if it was the same personnel on the field that started the season. IU was forced to play a ton of guys at the end of the year that had no business playing. It is what it is. Call it Allen's mulligan.

Need to get two directional schools and an FCS on the schedule annually in September.

I said in the other thread that schools that choose to play tough non conference games need to rethink that approach.

IU really does.

3-0 in the non conference means you only need three more to get to bowl eligibility, which as you stated should be the goal for IU every fall.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Need to get two directional schools and an FCS on the schedule annually in September.

I said in the other thread that schools that choose to play tough non conference games need to rethink that approach.

IU really does.

3-0 in the non conference means you only need three more to get to bowl eligibility, which as you stated should be the goal for IU every fall.

Those directional schools could be NC and NC State in the new Alliance

6 minutes ago, HHF said:

Last season took me back to the dark days.  Fact is, IU built those early Allen records on the backs of weak non con competition and wins over terrible Rutgers and Purdue teams.  A win is a win, it is what it is.  But quality wins have been rare .  Is there not a reasonable expectation that in Year 5 of a coaches tenure, the wheels should be humming.  The program fully and completely belongs to him.  IU looked like one of the worst teams in the country at the end of last season.  We continue to lose coaches and players to the portal.  Allens 4 stars have been disapointing.  There is little reason for optimism, as everyone else is getting much better in the conference, and they have deeper, more experienced staffs. No coach wants to coach at IU.  They settle on IU when all other options are gone

IU was on a roll heading into last season....and then ended up playing what was the hardest schedule in the country. Who knew when Indiana scheduled Cincinnati 6-7 years ago they'd be a playoff team? And they had massive injuries all over the field. They played 4 QB's last year and started a walk-on against Purdue. Their 2nd and 3rd leading ball carriers were both walk-ons. They had several key injuries to their secondary last year which coming into the year was the strongest unit on the team by far. It is what it is and water under the bridge at this point. 

IU still netted it's best recruiting class of all-time despite going 2-10 and added much more in the portal than what they lost. The only significant loss was Reese Taylor, a 5th year corner who was a spot starter last year only due to injury. IU is losing coaches to better programs which is a sign of a progressing team. Both of IU's coordinators in 2020 are now head coaches at the FBS level and Deland McCullough left to coach at Notre Dame. Can you really blame any of those departures?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

IU was on a roll heading into last season....and then ended up playing what was the hardest schedule in the country. Who knew when Indiana scheduled Cincinnati 6-7 years ago they'd be a playoff team? And they had massive injuries all over the field. They played 4 QB's last year and started a walk-on against Purdue. Their 2nd and 3rd leading ball carriers were both walk-ons. They had several key injuries to their secondary last year which coming into the year was the strongest unit on the team by far. It is what it is and water under the bridge at this point. 

IU still netted it's best recruiting class of all-time despite going 2-10 and added much more in the portal than what they lost. The only significant loss was Reese Taylor, a 5th year corner who was a spot starter last year only due to injury. IU is losing coaches to better programs which is a sign of a progressing team. Both of IU's coordinators in 2020 are now head coaches at the FBS level and Deland McCullough left to coach at Notre Dame. Can you really blame any of those departures?

When it comes to IU football, I am a hard core realist.  I refuse to succumb to the hype and the lovefest.  2020 was a complete and total mirage.  IU pretty much capitalized on the fact that most teams were just going thru the motions.  Those coaches may have left a burning ship.  It could be either way.

I liked the Kevin Wilson teams better than the Allen teams.  We had better players.  Nate Sudfeld.  Jason Spriggs.  Dan Feeney. Jordan Howard.  Cody Latimer.  Tevin Coleman.  The team had an offense first identity.  Now we have no identity. 

Im setting the bar VERY low for 2022.  3-9/1-8 get TA another year.  Another winless Big Ten season gets him the boot 

12 minutes ago, HHF said:

When it comes to IU football, I am a hard core realist.  I refuse to succumb to the hype and the lovefest.  2020 was a complete and total mirage.  IU pretty much capitalized on the fact that most teams were just going thru the motions.  Those coaches may have left a burning ship.  It could be either way.

Reality is that Tom Allen was .500 through 4 years as Indiana's coach and that just doesn't happen. Sans Mallory and few good years of John Pont, you're looking at the best era of Indiana football in almost 30 years. It is what it is. You can call 2021 a fluke, 2020 netted 8 wins. 1-11 is the fluke in my opinion until it's repeated. 

I liked the Kevin Wilson teams better than the Allen teams.  We had better players.  Nate Sudfeld.  Jason Spriggs.  Dan Feeney. Jordan Howard.  Cody Latimer.  Tevin Coleman.  The team had an offense first identity.  Now we have no identity. 

I credit Wilson for getting the ball rolling, but his teams were maddening to watch. Zero defense. IU is still in a much better place today than at any point of the Wilson era. Can't really refute that. 

Im setting the bar VERY low for 2022.  3-9/1-8 get TA another year.  Another winless Big Ten season gets him the boot

IU isn't going to pay the nearly $20 million to buy out Tom Allen regardless of what happens next year. Also a harsh reality. 

Edited by Footballking16

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Reality is that Tom Allen was .500 through 4 years as Indiana's coach and that just doesn't happen. Sans Mallory and few good years of John Pont, you're looking at the best era of Indiana football in almost 30 years. It is what it is. You can call 2021 a fluke, 2020 netted 8 wins. 1-11 is the fluke in my opinion until it's repeated. 

I credit Wilson for getting the ball rolling, but his teams were maddening to watch. Zero defense. IU is still in a much better place today than at any point of the Wilson era. Can't really refute that. 

IU isn't going to pay the nearly $20 million to buy out Tom Allen regardless of what happens next year. Also a harsh reality. 

I disagree.  While the defense is improved, its not light years ahead of where they were under Wilson.  And offensively, we are nowhere near the talent level we had under KW.  Of course, he was a winner coming from Oklahoma and understood what offensive talent looks like.  Your "much improved" defense got obliterated several times last year, including against the supposed worst team in the conference from Piscataway.  Im my view, IU can never have an elite defense, because they cant recruit and coach to that level.  That can and have had an "elite" offense.  We gave that up when Wilson got whacked.  All he has done is take Ohio States offense up a few more notches.