Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue Wallops IU on Draft Day - Is this a referendum on Brohm-Allen performance comparison?

53 minutes ago, HHF said:

IUs 2021 fall was hard and steep.  

Yes, that happens when a team loses their first 2 QBs to injury, and relies of a frosh that hasn't taken his first snap.  

Again, I don't expect miracles out of IU.  But Purdue is not on a different level and like I said...put them in the Big 10 East and see what happens.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

🙂

Yanni Karlaftis hasn’t played a down of collegiate football and will be lucky to crack the rotation this year as a RS Freshman. GK was not only a day 1 starter but an immediate impact player who was drafted in the first round. You’re setting yourself up for failure comparing the two because it just doesn’t exist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Yanni Karlaftis hasn’t played a down of collegiate football and will be lucky to crack the rotation this year as a RS Freshman. GK was not only a day 1 starter but an immediate impact player who was drafted in the first round. You’re setting yourself up for failure comparing the two because it just doesn’t exist.

I'll be OK, but thanks for trying to call me out.  

50 minutes ago, XStar said:

I don't think a fair judgment can be made on Allen for at least another 6-8 years.  Give him a fair chance to build the program.  

Since when do coaches get 12 to 15 years to rebuild programs in the current environment?

55 minutes ago, HHF said:

Since when do coaches get 12 to 15 years to rebuild programs in the current environment?

He’s a Purdue fan hoping IU keeps Allen forever. It’s funny because I had the same thoughts about Brohm until this year. Things can change in an instant.

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

I'll be OK, but thanks for trying to call me out.  

I’m calling you out because your statement is completely unfounded. When and if Yanni becomes an All-American and a first round draft pick you can then say they are comparable players. Yanni needs to worry about getting on the field first however.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He’s a Purdue fan hoping IU keeps Allen forever. It’s funny because I had the same thoughts about Brohm until this year. Things can change in an instant.

I’m calling you out because your statement is completely unfounded. When and if Yanni becomes an All-American and a first round draft pick you can then say they are comparable players. Yanni needs to worry about getting on the field first however.

Gipper got spanked

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Maybe he sucks for the rest of his time at IU.  Maybe not.  Even if he does, he's still accomplished more at IU than probably any coach they've had since Mallory and I'm not convinced they can get anyone better any way.  Just like Brohm, one or two bad seasons is not something a program like IU or Purdue can just find unacceptable.  Neither one is a blue blood and both will be better not pretending they are.  Allen didn't forget to coach between 2020 and 2021.  He just didn't get as lucky, had more injury issues, and sounds like he made some poor hiring decisions.  I said the same things about Brohm prior to last season.  2019 was a year that injuries hit Purdue hard.  2020 was a terrible hire at DC and some bad luck (see Minnesota offensive PI call to call back the game-winning TD)....not to mention Covid.  Brohm was not a different coach than the guy who engineered the 2018 blowout of Ohio State.  But that's not going to happen every season at Purdue just like 2020 was never going to repeat every year at IU.  Given IU and Purdue's respective football histories, I think it wise for neither to pretend they are too good for the coach they currently have.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XStar said:

Given IU and Purdue's respective football histories, I think it wise for neither to pretend they are too good for the coach they currently have.

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, 

Or what's a heaven for?”

- Robert Browning

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

“Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, 

Or what's a heaven for?”

- Robert Browning

If IU wants to fire Allen and move on to the next Cameron or Dinardo in hopes of being annual competitors in the CFP's, have at it.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, XStar said:

If IU wants to fire Allen and move on to the next Cameron or Dinardo in hopes of being annual competitors in the CFP's, have at it.  

I never said anything about firing Allen. But more generally, all improvement comes because someone refused to accept the status quo. What obstacles prevent IU football from becoming Wisconsin? Is that an unrealistic goal?

13 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Brutal.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I never said anything about firing Allen. But more generally, all improvement comes because someone refused to accept the status quo. What obstacles prevent IU football from becoming Wisconsin? Is that an unrealistic goal?

Correct.  You gave a very general quote and left it open to interpretation.  You're more than welcome to take your quote and explain what you meant in football terms if you'd like.  Otherwise you leave it open for me to interpret it as best I can.  

In terms of accepting the status quo.....Is that what you're doing by keeping a coach?  Do coaches have ups and downs?  Good seasons followed by bad seasons?  Bad seasons followed by good ones?  I think the assumption that keeping a coach means more of the same is a faulty one.  The real question is which option is more likely to get you where you are trying to go (assuming you have realistic expectations to begin with).  I think we see football programs too often make a change just to make a change and it gets them nowhere.  For a program like IU, firing the coach is the status quo.

Even if you believe Allen isn't the guy right now, right now may not be the best time to replace him.  The best time is when you have someone that you think is better that you can actually get.  Trying to fire a coach and then see what you can come up with afterwards is how you get Darrell Hazell as your coach.  

As for IU being another Wisconsin, I don't see that as realistic.  Yeah they could always have a season or two at that level but Wisconsin is THE program in that state whereas IU and Purdue are splitting Indiana and they only generally get, at best, what's left over after Notre Dame takes what they want.  I think that is going to make it hard for either program to have the sustained success Wisconsin has seen.  

41 minutes ago, XStar said:

Correct.  You gave a very general quote and left it open to interpretation.  You're more than welcome to take your quote and explain what you meant in football terms if you'd like.  Otherwise you leave it open for me to interpret it as best I can.  

In terms of accepting the status quo.....Is that what you're doing by keeping a coach?  Do coaches have ups and downs?  Good seasons followed by bad seasons?  Bad seasons followed by good ones?  I think the assumption that keeping a coach means more of the same is a faulty one.  The real question is which option is more likely to get you where you are trying to go (assuming you have realistic expectations to begin with).  I think we see football programs too often make a change just to make a change and it gets them nowhere.  For a program like IU, firing the coach is the status quo.

Even if you believe Allen isn't the guy right now, right now may not be the best time to replace him.  The best time is when you have someone that you think is better that you can actually get.  Trying to fire a coach and then see what you can come up with afterwards is how you get Darrell Hazell as your coach.  

As for IU being another Wisconsin, I don't see that as realistic.  Yeah they could always have a season or two at that level but Wisconsin is THE program in that state whereas IU and Purdue are splitting Indiana and they only generally get, at best, what's left over after Notre Dame takes what they want.  I think that is going to make it hard for either program to have the sustained success Wisconsin has seen.  

Having two schools in one state is no guarantee of mediocrity (see Michigan and MSU), nor is a single school state a guarantee of success (see Minnesota). There’s a lot more to it than that. But once again, I never said anything about Coach Allen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Having two schools in one state is no guarantee of mediocrity (see Michigan and MSU), nor is a single school state a guarantee of success (see Minnesota). There’s a lot more to it than that. But once again, I never said anything about Coach Allen.

And I never said that having two schools in one state is a guarantee of mediocrity or that being the only one guarantees success.  

Hey look!  I can be obtuse too if we want to play games and not discuss college football.  Very good at that actually.  

Edited by XStar

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

247 seems to believe my assessment regarding each team’s ceiling is fairly accurate.

Thoughts?

5BCE577C-65B0-45A3-B707-9DCE8CF16B89.jpeg

I think Indiana CAN win 7 games next year, but wouldn't bet on it. Indiana is capable of beating:

Illinois

Idaho

Western Kentucky

Nebraska

Maryland

Rutgers

Purdue

And while I don't foresee Indiana beating Cincinnati or MSU on the road, those are two teams Indiana played extremely last year who will almost certainly take a big step back. 

I will be happy with bowl eligibility this year, and while it's definitely an uphill climb, it's not unrealistic. 

38 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I think Indiana CAN win 7 games next year, but wouldn't bet on it. Indiana is capable of beating:

Illinois

Idaho

Western Kentucky

Nebraska

Maryland

Rutgers

Purdue

And while I don't foresee Indiana beating Cincinnati or MSU on the road, those are two teams Indiana played extremely last year who will almost certainly take a big step back. 

I will be happy with bowl eligibility this year, and while it's definitely an uphill climb, it's not unrealistic. 

You should be happy with bowl eligibility ANY year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Illinois

Idaho

Western Kentucky

Nebraska

Maryland

Rutgers

Purdue

July 11th, 2021:

“I think they go 9-3

Losses: OSU, Penn State, 1 of Cincy/Iowa.”

Edited by temptation