Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Reclassification - Winners and Losers

20 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I was impressed with Central when they came to play Harrison this past year.  The stepped in at the last minute to replace a team that had to pull out due to COVID issues.  They got to the field kind of later than usual due to issues on 65, but quickly warmed up and stepped in to the game.  The kids were scrappy and never quit.  Even pulled out a trick play toward the end of the game that was successful.  Never gave up.  They were a little short on numbers and depth, so I hope they are able to build that up.  The Harrison fans definitely appreciated HC stepping in and also their heart/attitude.

Morton has had the upper hand on Hammond High for 25 years.  I expect the pendulum to swing back to the west side of town as the new school will draw more kids from the city thru open enrollment.  Its going to be a real battle between the two.  Both have invested in new equipment and unis and they look great.  Two good staffs, not elite, but good.  

2 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

Honestly no merrillville actually gained more skill position. The line play on both sides will be a question but there were a lot of kids from surrounding schools that transferred into merrillville on spring break. 

Transfers confirmed

LB from portage that has D1 offers

RB from Joliet catholic that has D1 offers

WR from Valpo that is 6’5 good speed (2nd year of playing football) 

the entire secondary is back. And so is offense (minus QB) which the QB was splitting time with his back up all year and they had same stats till backup went down with torn ACL.backup is mobile. 

aanotjer WR from Andrean that is over in summer. 

and we may even have a brother combination coming down from Andrean because big man was told that he needed to play stiffer competition instead of 2A ball… 

2 hours ago, HHF said:

Probably feels good for The DAC to leave The MIC and The HCC in the rear view mirror.  LC and CP will get their shots if they can get their acts together.  Portage is toast.  Stuck in the middle.  Too big for 5A.  Too small for 6A.

2 hours ago, HHF said:

Youve also got Morton, Hammond Central and Munster to the west, all in 5A.  Morton and Central are both going to improve as they get thru the consolidation.  Munster is on the way back - still a long way to go.  I think Central is going to be a threat in 5 years. That new state of the art school is going to draw kids from just across the state line in Illinois.  

CP is definitely a team to watch out for in the coming years. Absolutely stacked coaching staff and they improved greatly over the course of this past season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a run in the next few years. I don’t see any other team in Merrillville’s sectional being a threat. The pirates are now the transfer destination that Morton was under Richards. I think JoJo Johnson, Dierre Kelly, & Josh Hardy transferring to the Ville was a game changer. The fact that Morton made their schedule significantly easier after one year tells me they’re admitting they highly overrated how good they’d be post-consolidation. Central has seemingly the right guy for the job in Hudak but it’s an uphill battle to say the least. Munster is a disaster and it’s a tragedy that the program was allowed to go off the rails like it did. Right now I think the Pirates could beat any of those teams with their JV squad. If that sectional stays in tact, maybe in the future the Ville will have to work for a sectional trophy, but likely not in the next 2 years. 

On 5/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, HHF said:

How many 2A schools have 40-60 kids on roster?  Cmon now.

Delta feels heavy in 3A.  They could be dangerous

1 hour ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Basically all the good ones, I'd assume. 

We've never been below 40. Most years 50-55. 

Three of the four 2A teams in the Hoosier Conference showed 40+ players in 2021 and Lewis Cass, the 4th, showed 38.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:55 PM, FarmerFran said:

The ones that come to mind from 2020 were Luers and Andrean. Makes a big difference when you have 15 kids playing nearly every snap for all three phases and you see Luers swapping out~7-8 kids as they go from offense to defense in semi state.

Linton usually has 45 - 50 players on the roster.  Linton is at the bottom of 2A in enrollment. They play a full middle school and JV schedule.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:21 PM, HHF said:
Reclassification - Winners and Losers
Losers
5. Pioneer
The Panthers drop to 1A after a few SF seasons in 2A. This is a highly successful and competitive program that probably doesn't need or want the demotion.

Pioneer is in Class 2A for the upcoming cycle. They are slotted in sectional 34 with Benton Central, Delphi, Lafayette Central Catholic, Lewis Cass, Rochester, Seeger, and Winamac

5 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Pioneer is in Class 2A for the upcoming cycle. They are slotted in sectional 34 with Benton Central, Delphi, Lafayette Central Catholic, Lewis Cass, Rochester, Seeger, and Winamac

Noted

38 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Shades of 1A days past.  LCC and Pioneer used to be ranked in the top 5 of 1A for several years when the tournament started, only to end each other's seasons before the sectional champion was crowned.

Looks like they'll be split this coming cycle as Pioneer is back down in 1A with LCC remaining in 2A.

Edited by foxbat
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

I think we need to add Pioneer as a clear winner. They go from having a potential regional matchup against Andrean to now potentially playing Park Tudor in regional. 

With the new assignment back to 1A, I see Pioneer picking up a regional with NJSP being the potential fly-in-the-ointment to that in 41.  AC is probably the swarm-in-the-ointment in the way to representing the North.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

With the new assignment back to 1A, I see Pioneer picking up a regional with NJSP being the potential fly-in-the-ointment to that in 41.  AC is probably the swarm-in-the-ointment in the way to representing the North.

NJSP is a huge roadblock in sectional play for Pioneer. They return Harper at QB, who runs their option offense really well, Allen, who had over 2000 all purpose yards last season not to mention having the experience and hunger from making it to semi-state last year. They do lose Benson on both lines, but return the majority of the rest of their O and D next year if I'm not mistaken.

One team I’d add to the list of losers would be Marian. If Chatard had stayed in 4A, you’d have to think they’d be the favorites to get out of the north in 3A. Now it looks like they might get stone-walled at semi-state yet again. 

11 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

One team I’d add to the list of losers would be Marian. If Chatard had stayed in 4A, you’d have to think they’d be the favorites to get out of the north in 3A. Now it looks like they might get stone-walled at semi-state yet again. 

West Lafayette is in the North as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

NJSP is a huge roadblock in sectional play for Pioneer. They return Harper at QB, who runs their option offense really well, Allen, who had over 2000 all purpose yards last season not to mention having the experience and hunger from making it to semi-state last year. They do lose Benson on both lines, but return the majority of the rest of their O and D next year if I'm not mistaken.

Sectional 41 is tough for all, including Pioneer. North Judson will have a talented group. Losing Benson and Frasure will be big, especially on defense. Triton returns basically everybody besides the really big fullback/DL. That will definitely be a physical sectional.

5 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Not to mention that Chatard could easily be placed in the south.  They put a few teams north of Indy in the south in order to put Chatard in the north.  I guess I can see some logic in that sectional since it follows straight up 31 but you could easily draw that up in several other ways to make sense also.  

All that said, Marian could still go through Chatard to get there.  The last time they played in 2020 it was one hell of a game and they didn't play in 2021 but Brebeuf beat Chatard by 5 and Marian by 1 so I'm going to say the teams were probably on a competitive level again last season.  I think Marian will break through to the state finals in the next few years, Chatard or no Chatard.  

14 hours ago, XStar said:

Not to mention that Chatard could easily be placed in the south.  They put a few teams north of Indy in the south in order to put Chatard in the north.  I guess I can see some logic in that sectional since it follows straight up 31 but you could easily draw that up in several other ways to make sense also.  

All that said, Marian could still go through Chatard to get there.  The last time they played in 2020 it was one hell of a game and they didn't play in 2021 but Brebeuf beat Chatard by 5 and Marian by 1 so I'm going to say the teams were probably on a competitive level again last season.  I think Marian will break through to the state finals in the next few years, Chatard or no Chatard.  

With how they’ve been playing the last few years it seems bound to happen. You definitely can’t pencil in Chatard just yet. 

Another team that came out as a winner is South Spencer. Going from a 2A sectional with Mater Dei, Linton, North Posey to a 1A sectional is really good for them. They are in rebuilding mold, but historically they have tradition. This realignment can't do anything but help the rebuild.

• Like 1