Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Sectional Assignments

19. (8): Angola, Columbia City, DeKalb, East Noble, Fort Wayne South Side, Fort Wayne Wayne, Leo, New Haven

5 NE8 teams in the same sectional with close to possibly 6 if Norwell would have went 4A.   Is this the most conference teams that are in the same sectional in the state?

8 minutes ago, NE8Fan said:

19. (8): Angola, Columbia City, DeKalb, East Noble, Fort Wayne South Side, Fort Wayne Wayne, Leo, New Haven

5 NE8 teams in the same sectional with close to possibly 6 if Norwell would have went 4A.   Is this the most conference teams that are in the same sectional in the state?

There are 6 SIAC teams in sectional 24. Boonville (PAC) is the only Nonconference opponent in the 7 team sectional. 

Edited by oldtimeqb

1 hour ago, NE8Fan said:

The EIAC in sectional 32 has 6 teams. SD and L'Burg will inevitably play week 9 and 10. 

1 hour ago, NE8Fan said:

What does Pioneer bring back?  I don't think NJ or Triton can challenge the Jets.  They have a very strong current sophomore class.

The current AC sophomores that will be Juniors this fall are strong, but only a few have solid varsity minutes. I'm also excited for a few of the Freshmen this fall. NJ has a beast RB/FB that will be a senior. Triton brings back a quality backfield except for one back & others as well. Of course Pioneer, LCC, & Sheridan are AC's kryptonite it seems.

42 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

The current AC sophomores that will be Juniors this fall are strong, but only a few have solid varsity minutes. I'm also excited for a few of the Freshmen this fall. NJ has a beast RB/FB that will be a senior. Triton brings back a quality backfield except for one back & others as well. Of course Pioneer, LCC, & Sheridan are AC's kryptonite it seems.

One down as LCC's still up in 2A.

7 hours ago, foxbat said:

One down as LCC's still up in 2A.

They could drop if they don't win sectional this year? Or do they stay up both years?

9 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

They could drop if they don't win sectional this year? Or do they stay up both years?

Not sure.  Assuming that this season starts a new assessment period, LCC would remain in 2A another two seasons and SHOULD need to pick up at least two points across those two seasons.  Then again, they should have needed two points to stay up this last go-round and they only had one point and stayed in 2A.

54 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Not sure.  Assuming that this season starts a new assessment period, LCC would remain in 2A another two seasons and SHOULD need to pick up at least two points across those two seasons.  Then again, they should have needed two points to stay up this last go-round and they only had one point and stayed in 2A.

IHSAA also said in its April 11
media release: "Schools who
failed to earn a point during the
2021-22 school year while
playing in a higher class were
returned to the next lower class
for the next two years. This was
to prevent schools from playing
three consecutive years in a
higher classification when their
tournament results do not merit
that placement."

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, crimsonace1 said:

Looking at the brackets 

6A: Pretty much as I expected. Two schools had to go north, and HSE/Fishers being paired with the two Fort Wayne schools made a lot of sense because of their proximity to I-69. 

5A: Again, a pretty easy map. The big question was which pairs would go with which in the south. IHSAA opted to put THS/THN with Whiteland/Franklin and BHSN/BHSS with East/Seymour. I'd have flipped the Johnson County & Bloomington schools and created an I-65 sectional and a SR 46 one, but the IHSAA was clearly looking at latitude instead of longitude. 

4A: The big question was, who was going to go into Sectional 23, which was going to be a spread-out mess no matter who got sent there. The big question was which schools would go into 23 and which into 22 among EC, Connersville, Shelbyville, Beech Grove and Greenwood. Again, the IHSAA went with latitude - East Central to Edgewood to Silver Creek to Greenwood is going to be a doozy but there was really no way around it. A bit of a surprise to see Logansport go north and Huntington North go south. Sectional 20 is largely centered around SR 26 but Frankfort to Jay County or Frankfort to Huntington will be a bit of a haul. Frankfort was likely going to go into that field because there was no place else where it would fit. 

3A: A few surprises that make a lot of geographic sense - West Lafayette in Sectional 25, Chatard in Sectional 28 (which was clearly created as a US 31 sectional) and thus in the north.  It's a good map as you see the fourth northern sectionals are all centered around major highways (25 - I-65, 26-Toll Road, 27-I-69, 28-US 31), but somewhat surprised Delta/Yorktown go up to Fort Wayne instead of Oak Hill/Tippecanoe Valley. 

In the south, West Vigo & Owen Valley being sent to Evansville while Southridge/Heritage Hills get sent to southeastern Indiana is a bit interesting. What I might have done is leave Southridge/HH in southwestern Indiana, put WV/OV in with Monrovia and Crawfordsville and move Purdue Poly/Speedway into Sectional 31 (likely bumping SD/Lawrenceburg to 32). But you can see the mapmakers really considered travel and major highway corridors - Lawrenceburg/SD with schools along I-74, WV/OV moved south because they are on US 41/SR 67, Southridge/HH are close to I-64 and thus it's fairly easy to access the Louisville area. 

2A: Really makes a lot of sense when you look at the map. The sectionals are about as compact as they can be and the dividing lines are sensible. 

1A: As compact and sensible as 2A is, 1A is one of the weirdest maps the IHSAA has ever put out. Park Tudor and Gary Bowman could play in the same regional? Sectionals 41 & 42 aren't geographically contiguous. The sectional fields themselves largely make sense, although I would've flipped Sheridan and Park Tudor to make those two sectional fields more geographically contiguous. The change I would've made is the regional round - Sectionals 41 & 43 should be together, 44 and 45 should be paired together, as well as 42 with 46. 

Here are the maps, with each sectional color-coded (the northwest regional in reds, the northeast regional in oranges, the central regional in blue/green and the south regional in black/gray): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1O6J1oaoKWSgPWgPhsL7-eng1-_vqyqEr&usp=sharing

The decision in 3A north to bring Delta and Yorktown to Fort Wayne and to add Tipp Valley to 28 is very odd.  Almost an extra hr drive for everyone? Makes no sense to me.  Decision to move West Lafayette complicates Marian’s yearly waltz to semi state.

21 hours ago, NE8Fan said:

Looks like NE8 gets it’s own post season tournament.  I suspect there was a desire to delay or eliminate a Maconaquah sectional match up with Wayne / NH.

20. (8): Frankfort, Huntington North, Jay County, Kokomo, Marion, Muncie Central, Mississinewa, Western

What a joke.  Talk about a small fish in a giant pond.

(8): Guerin Catholic, Hamilton Heights, Indianapolis Bishop Chatard, Maconaquah, Northwestern, Oak Hill, Peru, Tippecanoe Valley

Another joke.  A custom made sectional victory for a p/p.  I guess some possible unrealistic travel time is their only penance.

Edited by Muda69

2 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Looks like NE8 gets it’s own post season tournament.  I suspect there was a desire to delay or eliminate a Maconaquah sectional match up with Wayne / NH.

Old Miss not Maconaquah

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

The decision in 3A north to bring Delta and Yorktown to Fort Wayne and to add Tipp Valley to 28 is very odd.  Almost an extra hr drive for everyone? Makes no sense to me.  Decision to move West Lafayette complicates Marian’s yearly waltz to semi state.

In 3A North I agree with you. No idea why they didn’t leave Knox in Sectional 25 where they are relatively close and been in that sectional, leave West Lafayette in Sectional 28 where they have been and relatively close to those schools and put Tippecanoe Valley in Sectional 26 where they are very close in mileage. Very weird how that played out. Tippecanoe Valley has no business being in Sectional 28.

• 2 weeks later...

We can't catch a break. We've had Danville, Tri-West recently, which isn't easy. Now we're getting Gibson Southern this year and next. We aren't historically great at football and likely never will be but yikes. But I am looking forward to hopefully see Gibson Southern in person. I have respect for them as a great program. I think this sectional is a little more competitive for us and I still don't expect us to win it. Hope we can avoid GS as long as possible lol.

• Like 1