Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Outlook - 1A

On 5/20/2022 at 5:25 PM, Basementbias said:

We lose the backfield minus the QB. Do have many capable replacements though. We could actually have 2 sets of backfield if everyone progresses as they should. I'm hoping we try it.

If u got 2 backfields then u don’t have one?

16 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

If u got 2 backfields then u don’t have one?

Wrong. This would be a scenario where the 2nd backfield would start for most other schools. It's called depth and a rarity in 1A. They should have a pretty good 2 year run coming up if they stay healthy & together. 

@Oldschool Currie & Heyerly aren't playing college football to my knowledge. @Basementbias I think we'll have some solid runners, but none of them have had more than a handful of carries over the last two years. The coaches have a lot of work to do to get some of these guys to be the 2-way studs that Heyerly, Currie and Newy were. I don't think there's as much quality depth at any position this year. 

21 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Wrong. This would be a scenario where the 2nd backfield would start for most other schools. It's called depth and a rarity in 1A. They should have a pretty good 2 year run coming up if they stay healthy & together. 

This reminds me of some of the old Scott Mannering coached Lewis Cass teams that Pioneer always played in week 1. Cass, a 2A school with a larger roster than Pioneer, would often have 10+ guys carry the ball throughout the game. There were several games in which Cass simply wore down Pioneer by rotating fresh ball carriers in and out, and the difference could be seen in the 3rd and 4th quarters, especially in the August heat.

AC players might not put up the prettiest stats with this method, but if the players can put aside their egos, it will probably lead to something really special.

1A teams with elite talent and depth will often run roughshod over the rest of 1A. Will AC have very many one way starters?

1 hour ago, FlyingHigh said:

@Oldschool Currie & Heyerly aren't playing college football to my knowledge. @Basementbias I think we'll have some solid runners, but none of them have had more than a handful of carries over the last two years. The coaches have a lot of work to do to get some of these guys to be the 2-way studs that Heyerly, Currie and Newy were. I don't think there's as much quality depth at any position this year. 

I'm hoping most won't have to be 2-way all the time. Yes, the big thing will be the backs will not have as many reps even if we have 2 deep. I'm curious to see if a couple of athletic Freshmen get some good minutes in different roles. The key will be if the lack of varsity experience will be too much to overcome. 2 year window to get another appearance as they have the potential if they work towards it.

1 hour ago, AG said:

This reminds me of some of the old Scott Mannering coached Lewis Cass teams that Pioneer always played in week 1. Cass, a 2A school with a larger roster than Pioneer, would often have 10+ guys carry the ball throughout the game. There were several games in which Cass simply wore down Pioneer by rotating fresh ball carriers in and out, and the difference could be seen in the 3rd and 4th quarters, especially in the August heat.

AC players might not put up the prettiest stats with this method, but if the players can put aside their egos, it will probably lead to something really special.

1A teams with elite talent and depth will often run roughshod over the rest of 1A. Will AC have very many one way starters?

It's all going to depend on how they progress this summer. Hoping they rotate quite a bit. What's helped imo is that they had to be behind Currie, Newy, and Heyerly. Another thing to look for is if anyone can get that extra yard or two that Heyerly was able to get so often.

7 hours ago, AG said:

All of the backs, TE and QB will play both ways. There won’t be a ton of depth unless the younger kids really step up. I think the team that plays in week 10 will be much better than the team week 1 assuming they stay healthy. 

Edited by FlyingHigh

I sure miss my friends in 1A....   in my experiences... depth is a huge in 1A.... getting kids ready to play  in multiple positions... getting reps with varsity in real action early on.. .because inevitable someone gets hurt and that's usually a 2 way player...  some 1A schools get to the end of the year barely looking like they did in week 1 or 2.  

On 5/23/2022 at 4:49 PM, FlyingHigh said:

All of the backs, TE and QB will play both ways. There won’t be a ton of depth unless the younger kids really step up. I think the team that plays in week 10 will be much better than the team week 1 assuming they stay healthy. 

If this upcoming season's Junior class all comes back & show they can play Varsity level football, there should be little need to have all those positions play both ways. We saw in the state game that having the QB play both ways was a bit taxing. He did do it for part of the season, but didn't have to as much as the season progressed. Then when we lost our LB in state, you could see him start to wear down in the 2nd half.  The Junior class had been 2 deep coming up from youth, but Varsity experience for most will be the determining factor. The Senior & Sophomore classes have some gritty kids as well. I've already mentioned a couple of Freshmen who could come on the scene. One could play on the line or as FB/LB. The other would make a good WR/WB as well if he puts on more muscle.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, Miner_Pride said:

I sure miss my friends in 1A....   in my experiences... depth is a huge in 1A.... getting kids ready to play  in multiple positions... getting reps with varsity in real action early on.. .because inevitable someone gets hurt and that's usually a 2 way player...  some 1A schools get to the end of the year barely looking like they did in week 1 or 2.  

You’re missed in 1A posts Minor Prides, I swear to God you are. Do you think Liptons enrowment will keep them in 2A next time? Looks like it dropped a little 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 7:20 PM, Donnie Baker said:

You’re missed in 1A posts Minor Prides, I swear to God you are. Do you think Liptons enrowment will keep them in 2A next time? Looks like it dropped a little 

I think we are in 2A for the duration.. unless there is a lot of consolidations or schools dropping football.  The onslaught of small academies or home school teams getting into IHSAA is what kept us in 2A.  Or I suppose Linton could lose enrollment and drop... there aren't really jobs in Linton to raise a family like there was in my days of growing up there.  And the costs anymore to drive 30-45 miles to work and back could cause folks to move.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FlyingHigh said:

AC travels to Busco tonight, Norwell July 11 and Winchester/Eastbrook later in the month. 

Are these streamed or broadcasted in anyway? I'm assuming these are not with full pads this early?

6 hours ago, 260AC said:

Are these streamed or broadcasted in anyway? I'm assuming these are not with full pads this early?

They're not streamed/broadcasted, but scrimmages are open to the public. Off-season scrimmages are helmets and shoulder pads only.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oldschool said:

2 weeks till scrimmages for real!  Can’t wait!  How’d everyone thud scrimmages go?  Triton looked good against Wabash but hard to tell when whistles blow so fast!

South Adams scrimmaged Luers, Columbia City, and Mississinewa and held their own against some great competition. 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:27 PM, Oldschool said:

Counted 46 kids on practice field for Triton today!

That is solid for a 1A program! AC usually floats around that size, but they have around 65 this year with a really small senior class. The trip to LOS must have encouraged some more kids to come out.

51 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

That is solid for a 1A program! AC usually floats around that size, but they have around 65 this year with a really small senior class. The trip to LOS must have encouraged some more kids to come out.

Wondering if ac has a hard time scheduling jv games due to other 1a schools in our conference not having enough kids to field a jv team?

On 8/3/2022 at 3:42 PM, FlyingHigh said:

How many seniors are there? Thinking around 6 or so unless more came back out. I know that class had a lot drop off from middle school to focus on other sports.