Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Outlook - 1A

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

Coaches poll is out!  Thoughts?

Can't believe folks have forgotten Pioneer's potential impact on 1A in just a couple years.  Guess it's a case of "out of sight, out of mind."

• Like 3

Week 1 polls are of a reflection of what your team did last year. Nothing more in my opinion. It will sort itself out in three or four weeks.

As for thoughts on 1A:

Judson is dangerous, might be the only team who can contend with Laville in their conference, and in my opinion, the team that will represent the North on Thanksgiving weekend. I watched Adams Central down the stretch last year and they are a well coached and disciplined team, but Judson is going to be the full package this year: Size, Speed, Strength, and Physical at every position. Goodluck if you're on their schedule this year. 

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:15 AM, FlyingHigh said:

Covenant Christian, North Judson and Park Tudor are all too low. AC, CC, NJ and PT should make up teams 2-5, but I'm not sure what order they should be in. SA and Monroe Central are too high.

Is Adams Central that good? Or is Garrett that bad?

1 hour ago, Oldschool said:

Probably a mix. AC is good and should improve, just not sure if they're at full throttle just yet. Garrett just couldn't handle the speed on the field.

54 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

Probably a mix. AC is good and should improve, just not sure if they're at full throttle just yet. Garrett just couldn't handle the speed on the field.

I only saw the replay, but I thought Garrett didn’t look like they knew how to play football. Or at least they gave up pretty early. AC obviously looked good, but I still have no clue how good. The Eastside game will be much more telling. 

2 hours ago, Thor77 said:

I only saw the replay, but I thought Garrett didn’t look like they knew how to play football. Or at least they gave up pretty early. AC obviously looked good, but I still have no clue how good. The Eastside game will be much more telling. 

Yes, the Eastside game will be much more telling for sure. Arcanum looked bad from the few parts I watched. Having their HC and superstar QB transfer to a bigger school really hurt them. They're still probably much better than Bellmont and possibly Bluffton.

How good is Providence? I'm asking because I was bored and saw that they had an opening this week while I was looking at team schedules on John Harrell. I heard that Rensselaer might have an opening this week because North Newton is short on players.

Providence vs. Rensselaer on a neutral field would be a win for both teams! It seems better than both teams having a bye, if North Newton is indeed short on players.

5 hours ago, Oldschool said:

Garrett was not good at all but is still probably better than some of the teams in the ACAC. AC played really well for week 1. I’m most impressed with how quickly they put up 28 points in multiple different ways (offense, defense, special teams) in the first quarter. I think they have plenty to improve on but I don’t think any team would say they’re playoff ready just yet. 
Eastside will be the biggest challenge all regular season. This is the week both teams find out just how good they are (or aren’t). Should be fun, as it has become one, if not the best non conference rivalry in NE IN. 

Edited by FlyingHigh

9 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Garrett was not good at all but is still probably better than some of the teams in the ACAC. AC played really well for week 1. I’m most impressed with how quickly they put up 28 points in multiple different ways (offense, defense, special teams) in the first quarter. I think they have plenty to improve on but I don’t think any team would say they’re playoff ready just yet. 
Eastside will be the biggest challenge all regular season. This is the week both teams find out just how good they are (or aren’t). Should be fun, as it has become one, if not the best non conference rivalry in NE IN. 

Ya we will find out a lot about Triton this Friday as well.  Laville is ranked in 2a we aspirations of getting to Lucas OIl in November 

• Like 1

The 25-21 AC win over 2A #6 Eastside was as impressive a win the program has had in awhile, last year’s semistate game at North Judson and sectional matchup against Busco included. Eastside is incredibly physical and jumped to a 14-3 lead in the first half. AC met the physicality and came back despite playing without one of their best and most important players.

I look forward to watching this team progress. If they stay healthy and continue to improve, they’ll be a tough out. Next up is a fun matchup at Taylor U against Covenant Christian. 

Edited by FlyingHigh

15 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

The 25-21 AC win over 2A #6 Eastside was as impressive a win the program has had in awhile, last year’s semistate game at North Judson and sectional matchup against Busco included. Eastside is incredibly physical and jumped to a 14-3 lead in the first half. AC met the physicality and came back despite playing without one of their best and most important players.

I look forward to watching this team progress. If they stay healthy and continue to improve, they’ll be a tough out. Next up is a fun matchup at Taylor U against Covenant Christian. 

Biggest win AC has had for awhile. I think there's gonna be a lot of running clock games coming up later in the season.

12 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Great game by both teams. Defense could have used Cook big time. Really impressed by the freshmen making plays when it mattered. One sophomore stepped up as well to help the juniors carry the team. Not to be too critical, but the few seniors are going to have to play better. There has been some sloppiness in games and practice. Curious to see how CC is, but after that they shouldn't be pushed except possibly South Adams because it's a rivalry. This team has what it takes to go back to Indy. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:12 AM, Oldschool said:

93D488F7-881D-44DF-B111-C9A6DCF77464.png

I understand this is a 1a thread, but to make my point I am going to bring in some 2a examples: early week Coaches Polls mean absolutely zilch. There is no way Ritter or Paoli or North Davies should be receiving votes for their performances this year. That is a hold over from last year. Having seen how the polling system works, I put very little faith in the coaches poll anyway. As an example, a coach from southern Indiana has no hope of ever seeing a team from "the region" play unless they meet up in Lucas Oil. How can they possibly vote on such a team's ability? These votes rely highly on tradition and reputation and have very little validity.  

8 minutes ago, blockdownkickout2718 said:

I understand this is a 1a thread, but to make my point I am going to bring in some 2a examples: early week Coaches Polls mean absolutely zilch. There is no way Ritter or Paoli or North Davies should be receiving votes for their performances this year. That is a hold over from last year. Having seen how the polling system works, I put very little faith in the coaches poll anyway. As an example, a coach from southern Indiana has no hope of ever seeing a team from "the region" play unless they meet up in Lucas Oil. How can they possibly vote on such a team's ability? These votes rely highly on tradition and reputation and have very little validity.  

I'll bite:

Since this is a 1A thread, where is the coaches poll flawed?  Replace Covenant with Pioneer, and I think the coaches came remarkably close for an early season poll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kdets89 said:

I'll bite:

Since this is a 1A thread, where is the coaches poll flawed?  Replace Covenant with Pioneer, and I think the coaches came remarkably close for an early season poll.

Maybe my post was a knee-jerk reaction to coaches polls in general. When I go and review only the 1A line-up, I can't say I'd change it much. Except Springs Valley maybe deserves to be in the 8-10 range. BUT, I stick by my original claim that just because the coaches got it right this time, it doesn't mean it is a great way to rate teams in general. I'm a Sagarin fanboy despite its known flaws with closed schedules.

3 hours ago, blockdownkickout2718 said:

Ritter is probably worse than last year. Not sure who would vote for them. 

4 hours ago, blockdownkickout2718 said:

Maybe my post was a knee-jerk reaction to coaches polls in general. When I go and review only the 1A line-up, I can't say I'd change it much. Except Springs Valley maybe deserves to be in the 8-10 range. BUT, I stick by my original claim that just because the coaches got it right this time, it doesn't mean it is a great way to rate teams in general. I'm a Sagarin fanboy despite its known flaws with closed schedules.

Ill take a second bite.

Obviously the polls early in the year are based on recent success. I am biased but there is no way SA is the 3rd best team in 1A.  If they are, its gonna be a rough year for the rest of the north. SA has lost to AC in the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years, the other 2 they just didnt play AC. They get prestige by being associated.(ill give them credit for 2020 because they were actually a really good team)  This year they are in AC's sectional.

Just take it at a quick glance and move on

18 hours ago, 260AC said:

Ill take a second bite.

Obviously the polls early in the year are based on recent success. I am biased but there is no way SA is the 3rd best team in 1A.  If they are, its gonna be a rough year for the rest of the north. SA has lost to AC in the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years, the other 2 they just didnt play AC. They get prestige by being associated.(ill give them credit for 2020 because they were actually a really good team)  This year they are in AC's sectional.

Just take it at a quick glance and move on

Are you saying SA only gets prestige for being associated with AC? Yes, AC in recent history has had our number, but we have also won three straight sectionals, 10+wins 3 straight years, 7+ wins for 6(?), and are still consistently ending games early. SA has earned the benefit of doubt for early poll placements.