Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Outlook - 1A

5 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

I agree that Triton is a much better overall team, but it's still a mental hurdle for the Triton program. Maybe this game isn't as much about Triton winning, but HOW they win. Do they look sharp and take care of business early? Getting the monkey off their backs will feel good whether they are the better team on paper or not.

Triton cleared a huge mental hurdle a couple weeks ago by throttling Bremen!  I think theses kids are starting to believe in themselves and I see them taking care of business this Friday against Pioneer.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, FlyingHigh said:

New IFCA poll - I think we're getting to the point that it's more accurate. SA dropped (rightfully so) after their loss to Heritage. I think they're still worthy of #6, though, and see them beating #10 Monroe Central this week. The biggest snub is Triton. Their only loss is against a stout 2A opponent in Laville (game was 21-14 at half). Triton has averaged about 50 ppg and is giving up around 5 ppg in their wins. They have one of the best run games in 1A and, in my opinion, they should be top 5 by the time sectional comes around. Sectional 41 will be a fun one!

CLASS 1A

1. Lutheran (9)
  2. Adams Central (1)
  3. Park Tudor
  4. North Judson
  5. North Decatur
  6. South Adams
  7. Carroll (Flora)
  8. Tri
  9. South Putnam
  10. Monroe Central

Others receiving votes: Triton, Covenant Christian, Edinburgh, Sheridan, Clinton Prairie, Madison-Grant, Pioneer.

Wondering if AC gonna be challenged at all by South Adams?

32 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

Secondary could be challenged. However I'm not sure if the SA defense will have much success.

6 hours ago, Oldschool said:

It’s one of, if not the top small school rivalries in the state, so it’ll be a challenge. SA has a solid passing game and an aggressive defense. They always play AC tough, but the Jets are much better up front on both sides of the ball. I see AC pulling away by the 4th quarter. 

Anyone else see MaxPreps is trying to predict a Carroll (Flora) vs Adams Central regional game? Sure it's an error, but was odd to see 11/11 scheduled on it.

With this last weekend, Lutheran seems to have fired a shot across the bow to anyone from the south who might be thinking of traveling to LOS for anything other than the popcorn ... the rings will be off limits.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

With this last weekend, Lutheran seems to have fired a shot across the bow to anyone from the south who might be thinking of traveling to LOS for anything other than the popcorn ... the rings will be off limits.

There will be some good games along the way in the south side of the bracket:

Sect 46 - North Decatur will face Tri at some point.  Interested to see that ND defense face the Tri run game.

Sect 47 - Covenant/South Putnam/Lutheran should provide two good games.  Personally hoping the ping pong balls put South Putnam/Covenant on the other side of the bracket.

Sect 48 - Tecumseh/Providence should be a good game.  I know so little about this sectional that I was unaware there were any Catholics left in 1A.  I thought that was the point of the success factor.

South Semistate - Sagarin would have Lutheran facing North Decatur in a battle of two great defenses.

Should be a lot of fun to watch!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Sect 46 - North Decatur will face Tri at some point.  Interested to see that ND defense face the Tri run game.

Sect 47 - Covenant/South Putnam/Lutheran should provide two good games.  Personally hoping the ping pong balls put South Putnam/Covenant on the other side of the bracket.

Sect 48 - Tecumseh/Providence should be a good game.  I know so little about this sectional that I was unaware there were any Catholics left in 1A.  I thought that was the point of the success factor.

South Semistate - Sagarin would have Lutheran facing North Decatur in a battle of two great defenses.

Providence just dropped from 2A due to enrollment. But you got it right. Those 2 are the class of 48. I think Providence wins. 

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

I agree that there's some good ball to be played in the south.  But I also know what Scecina looked like last year against LCC and they aren't too far off of that again this season, so I know that was not just Lutheran picking off a straggler from the 2A herd.  That's going to be a mountable rack. 

Little by little the Catholic schools have departed 1A.  LCC's still small enough to be 1A by enrollment, but it's in 2A for at least another couple of seasons and maybe more.  They may be close to 2A enrollment by the time they don't hit SF points in 2A.

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

I agree that there's some good ball to be played in the south.  But I also know what Scecina looked like last year against LCC and they aren't too far off of that again this season, so I know that was not just Lutheran picking off a straggler from the 2A herd.  That's going to be a mountable rack. 

Little by little the Catholic schools have departed 1A.  LCC's still small enough to be 1A by enrollment, but it's in 2A for at least another couple of seasons and maybe more.  They may be close to 2A enrollment by the time they don't hit SF points in 2A.

I hear..  they may b plus one.. on da cusp... for 2A enrollment right now....  

3 hours ago, foxbat said:

Lets face it, Lutheran could beat everyone in 2a, including Mater Dei and Linton. I would like to see LCC play Lutheran, but the success factor took care of that.  New Palestine is the best team in 4a and 5a.  The Ihsaa should have left everything the way it was. I would like the see Harrison play New Palestine this year.

• Confused 1
  • Disdain 2

3 minutes ago, Tippy said:

Lets face it, Lutheran could beat everyone in 2a, including Mater Dei and Linton. I would like to see LCC play Lutheran, but the success factor took care of that.  New Palestine is the best team in 4a and 5a.  The Ihsaa should have left everything the way it was. I would like the see Harrison play New Palestine this year.

Agree... and Harrison is a disruptor when they hang  onto da ball....  they r a threat in 4A. .. as is WL in 3A... Lcc is on the outside looking in in 2A.... jmho Luthern is top dog in 1A for sure... looking like a repeat w AC.... but the BJs may have something to say bout dat.....

2 minutes ago, BendNotBreak said:

Agree... and Harrison is a disruptor when they hang  onto da ball....  they r a threat in 4A. .. as is WL in 3A... Lcc is on the outside looking in in 2A.... jmho Luthern is top dog in 1A for sure... looking like a repeat w AC.... but the BJs may have something to say bout dat.....

Sic... Harrison in 5A

45 minutes ago, Landrys Hat said:

Wondering if anyone has seen sheridan play this year?  seems like they r rolling and no one is talking about them?  they are having no issues with 1A schools so far.    

I don't think anyone will challenge Sheridan in sectional 45.  But after watching them recently, I still don't think they'll be able to hang with North Decatur in the regional.  If Tri were to upset North Decatur in sectional 46, I think they'd also beat Sheridan.

North Judson put the north on notice tonight, blowing out top 10 Triton. Great win for them as they roll into a HUGE matchup against Laville.

The Tri Titans also won a big one against Park Tudor. Some fun matchups around the state and some clear front-runners are established as sectional favorites. Is there any sectional out there that’s truly up for grabs?

Seems like the north will go Park Tudor, North Judson, Carroll Flora and Adams Central. I think AC and NJSP are on a collision course for a rematch from last year. I would enjoy watching that, but would appreciate it being played in Monroe this time!

9 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

North Judson put the north on notice tonight, blowing out top 10 Triton. Great win for them as they roll into a HUGE matchup against Laville.

The Tri Titans also won a big one against Park Tudor. Some fun matchups around the state and some clear front-runners are established as sectional favorites. Is there any sectional out there that’s truly up for grabs?

Seems like the north will go Park Tudor, North Judson, Carroll Flora and Adams Central. I think AC and NJSP are on a collision course for a rematch from last year. I would enjoy watching that, but would appreciate it being played in Monroe this time!

Probably 48 between Tecumseh and Providence. Winner gets sacrificed to Lutheran. Haha

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, FlyingHigh said:

NJ offense could give us problems in a semi state rematch.

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

NJ offense could give us problems in a semi state rematch.

Possibly, but I'm curious to hear your explanation as to why? AC's defensive strength is its front 7. Teams haven't been able to run on them at all. North Judson is a run-heavy team. If anything, I'd say that plays into the AC defense's strength. I'm not sure how personnel would matchup - maybe North Judson's boys up front are that much tougher than AC's front 7 (although I'd put AC's front 7 against anyone's in 1A)- but AC's defense is better set up to stop what North Judson wants to do than they would be against a passing team.

Edited by FlyingHigh

9 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Possibly, but I'm curious to hear your explanation as to why? AC's defensive strength is its front 7. Teams haven't been able to run on them at all. North Judson is a run-heavy team. If anything, I'd say that plays into the AC defense's strength. I'm not sure how personnel would matchup - maybe North Judson's boys up front are that much tougher than AC's front 7 (although I'd put AC's front 7 against anyone's in 1A)- but AC's defense is better set up to stop what North Judson wants to do than they would be against a passing team.

Benson along with Cheyenne in the backfield with a big line. The QB has improved quite a bit as well. The DE's will have to play disciplined. The two upperclassmen at DE sometimes forget that. They took advantage of Triton's DEs last night when they forgot. Looking at a mirror image in some regards. Where I think the Jets will have an edge, is on offense with speed outside. Triton had some success with that. Still like our Jets, but it will be much different than last year's running clock.

12 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Benson along with Cheyenne in the backfield with a big line. The QB has improved quite a bit as well. The DE's will have to play disciplined. The two upperclassmen at DE sometimes forget that. They took advantage of Triton's DEs last night when they forgot. Looking at a mirror image in some regards. Where I think the Jets will have an edge, is on offense with speed outside. Triton had some success with that. Still like our Jets, but it will be much different than last year's running clock.

Benson did look like a stud. I expected Allen to be the feature player, but it seems NJ runs their offense through the young fullback. I think assuming that players "forget" their assignment/job is dangerous for people who aren't on the coaching staff. Since I don't think either of us are on the staff, I'd consider the possibility that you're missing something. We don't know the game plan or what the players are being told to do. I don't think any team has taken advantage of our upperclassmen DEs being undisciplined and I think they're decently disciplined.

If the two teams face off against each other again this year, I highly doubt it will be a running clock right out of halftime - or at all for that matter. We can definitely agree on that. I think it would be a fun semistate matchup if it happens. A lot of football has to be played to get there, though.

3 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Benson did look like a stud. I expected Allen to be the feature player, but it seems NJ runs their offense through the young fullback. I think assuming that players "forget" their assignment/job is dangerous for people who aren't on the coaching staff. Since I don't think either of us are on the staff, I'd consider the possibility that you're missing something. We don't know the game plan or what the players are being told to do. I don't think any team has taken advantage of our upperclassmen DEs being undisciplined and I think they're decently disciplined.

If the two teams face off against each other again this year, I highly doubt it will be a running clock right out of halftime - or at all for that matter. We can definitely agree on that. I think it would be a fun semistate matchup if it happens. A lot of football has to be played to get there, though.

It would not shock me if the game plan is to see them ride Benson during the regular season and once playoffs hit you'll see a lot of #40. 

Their secondary is pretty young but their front 7 is excellent.  Their run D is superb. 

#33, #14, #89 are studs on D.

I think speed to the outside or a decent passing game could give NJ fits. Well see how they do Friday against LaVille.

Edited by WalterSobchak

11 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

If you've played football at AC, the defense hasn't ever really changed especially for DE responsibility. The one upperclassmen had been hurt, so I think that was part of his troubles. The other clearly had a few mental breakdowns. Both have cleaned it up the past couple of weeks, but I don't believe I've saw the Freshmen make a mental mistake in their place. The positive about those breakdowns were they were being aggressive when they occurred. Covenant Christian took advantage in the second half and Eastside had a bit the week before. The big concern I have is the AC kickoff coverage. NJ would take advantage of that big time.