Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Outlook - 1A

Sweet 16 week! Time for the sectional finals and I'm curious about what the GID has to say about a couple of these matchups. For the most part, I think the favorites are pretty clear, but anything can happen in November...

Sectional 41: Culver @ North Judson (JH prediction NJ 49-7) - I think this one is pretty straight forward. I expect NJ to score a lot of points to try and prove that the Triton matchup was a one-time thing. Did Triton figure out a defensive formula to limit the high-flying NJ offense? Time will tell. The final score was misleading in that one, as the Blue Jays scored a couple of late TDs after some late-game desperation with a Shuh-less Triton.

Sectional 42: Traders Point @ Park Tudor (JH prediction PT 45-28) - This is an interesting one. Both teams are spread, pass first teams and will present an interesting challenge for North Judson next week. PT edged TP by 5 earlier in the season. I think the Blue Jays handle whoever comes out of Section 42.

Sectional 43: West Central @ Carroll Flora (JH prediction Carroll 35-21) - I expect Carroll Flora to take care of business in this one to set up a road trip to the Landing Strip in Monroe for a regional championship. Does West Central have any chance here? Honest question. I know Carroll is big, but what does WC do well?

Sectional 44: Adams Central @ Northfield ( JH prediction AC 49-14) - The AC offense looks like a machine right now. They have 4 guys who can hurt you on the ground at any point and they equally distribute the carries. AC's strength on D is their front 7 and I expect that to show on Friday against the Northfield option attack. AC has not faced many non-spread teams this year, so I'm curious to see how their guys adjust, as they'll need to defend the run well the next few weeks if they want a chance to make it back to LOS.

Sectional 45: Sheridan @ Hagerstown (JH prediction Sheridan 42-14) - I don't know much about the South this year, so I'll need to rely on other GID posters for these matchups.

Sectional 46: Knightstown @ North Decatur (JH prediction ND 42-0) - I expect North Decatur to advance and will be surprised if they aren't Lutheran's semistate opponent.

Sectional 47: Lutheran @ Covenant Christian (JH prediction Lutheran 49-21) - This is the matchup I'm most curious about, as AC pulled off a 42-19 win against CC in week 3. As an AC fan, this will be the only chance for me to compare the Jets to Lutheran if we make it back to state. The AC game easily could've been a much larger deficit.

Sectional 48: Tecumseh @ Providence (JH prediction Providence 31-30) - Congrats to the winners of sectional 48, but whoever comes out on top will only play 1 more week.

I can mostly speak on sectional 48 obviously. I've seen both teams. Tecumseh has good athletes and they spread you out. Even if they don't throw a ton you must respect it. Alot of 4 and 5 WR sets. QB is good runner. Good speed for a couple guys. 

Last 2 weeks Providence has given up quite a few yds. Springs Valley had 5 trips inside 20 and didn't score. We moved the ball well also and kept shooting ourselves. Providence only has 3 seniors I believe. Game being at Providence may help tecumseh with the turf field. I'd give the edge to tecumseh currently but believe it'll be a really close game. Looks like great weather again this weekend. But your correct. Either team will probably be a blip for Lutheran on way to Lucas

18 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Sectional 45: Sheridan @ Hagerstown (JH prediction Sheridan 42-14) - I don't know much about the South this year, so I'll need to rely on other GID posters for these matchups.

Sectional 46: Knightstown @ North Decatur (JH prediction ND 42-0) - I expect North Decatur to advance and will be surprised if they aren't Lutheran's semistate opponent.

Sectional 47: Lutheran @ Covenant Christian (JH prediction Lutheran 49-21) - This is the matchup I'm most curious about, as AC pulled off a 42-19 win against CC in week 3. As an AC fan, this will be the only chance for me to compare the Jets to Lutheran if we make it back to state. The AC game easily could've been a much larger deficit.

Sectional 48: Tecumseh @ Providence (JH prediction Providence 31-30) - Congrats to the winners of sectional 48, but whoever comes out on top will only play 1 more week.

1A South:

Sect 45 - Sheridan has been running over teams lately with their big back, and that should continue against Hagerstown.  The run will end with a sectional title, as North Decatur awaits them in the regional.  The Blackhawks have some athletes, but not nearly as many as the Chargers.

Sect 46 - The title game occurred in the first round (Tri), the second round (Milan) was a challenge, but the third round (Knightstown) will offer a nice break for North Decatur.  JV players will see their last signifcant snaps of the year.

Sect 47- Forget the JH prediction (49-21, LuHi).  This game will go one of two ways:  1) a one-score game favoring whoever has the ball last, or 2) Lutheran triggers much Facebook angst by hanging 80 on the Warriors, throwing deep for the last two scores.

Sect 48 - Rooting for Providence in this one, but think Tecumseh is simply meaner.  Tecumseh's #25 looks like he's 5 years older than everyone else on the field.  Should be a good game.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

1A South:

Sect 47- Forget the JH prediction (49-21, LuHi).  This game will go one of two ways:  1) a one-score game favoring whoever has the ball last, or 2) Lutheran triggers much Facebook angst by hanging 80 on the Warriors, throwing deep for the last two scores.

Do we get points for betting this route?  I suspect that it will turn out a lot like the 1A 2011 title game where there were plenty of cautionary tales about city vs. county speed leading up to the match.

I don't know about hanging 80 on the Warriors, but I suspect that the fingernails of the Lutheran fans will be intact after the game.

1 hour ago, kdets89 said:

1A South:

Sect 48 - Rooting for Providence in this one, but think Tecumseh is simply meaner.  Tecumseh's #25 looks like he's 5 years older than everyone else on the field.  Should be a good game.

His son, who plays on the JV, says that's just a rumor. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I suspect that the fingernails of the Lutheran fans will be intact after the game.

In each of the last two years, the Sagarin predictor had Lutheran as 28 point favorites.  One TD game, for (2021) and against (2020).  To claim LuHi fans have Covenant PTSD might be a bit dramatic, but not far off!

Triton was 3rd best team on north!  Has a REAL shot at beating North Judson if Schuh wouldn’t have gotten hurt!  Took opening drive right down field 7 minute drive and punched it in!  Shively did his best and played his ass off but when they know your running it, with not much other options, it’s hard to succeed!  With 9 minutes to go Triton had the ball first and 10 on Judson 40 down 12-6 with a legit chance!  Then it went downhill Congratulations to Triton on a good season!

5 hours ago, Oldschool said:

Triton was 3rd best team on north!  Has a REAL shot at beating North Judson if Schuh wouldn’t have gotten hurt!  Took opening drive right down field 7 minute drive and punched it in!  Shively did his best and played his ass off but when they know your running it, with not much other options, it’s hard to succeed!  With 9 minutes to go Triton had the ball first and 10 on Judson 40 down 12-6 with a legit chance!  Then it went downhill Congratulations to Triton on a good season!

!

On 10/29/2022 at 8:13 PM, FlyingHigh said:

Sweet 16 week! Time for the sectional finals and I'm curious about what the GID has to say about a couple of these matchups. For the most part, I think the favorites are pretty clear, but anything can happen in November...

Sectional 41: Culver @ North Judson (JH prediction NJ 49-7) - I think this one is pretty straight forward. I expect NJ to score a lot of points to try and prove that the Triton matchup was a one-time thing. Did Triton figure out a defensive formula to limit the high-flying NJ offense? Time will tell. The final score was misleading in that one, as the Blue Jays scored a couple of late TDs after some late-game desperation with a Shuh-less Triton.

Sectional 42: Traders Point @ Park Tudor (JH prediction PT 45-28) - This is an interesting one. Both teams are spread, pass first teams and will present an interesting challenge for North Judson next week. PT edged TP by 5 earlier in the season. I think the Blue Jays handle whoever comes out of Section 42.

Sectional 43: West Central @ Carroll Flora (JH prediction Carroll 35-21) - I expect Carroll Flora to take care of business in this one to set up a road trip to the Landing Strip in Monroe for a regional championship. Does West Central have any chance here? Honest question. I know Carroll is big, but what does WC do well?

Sectional 44: Adams Central @ Northfield ( JH prediction AC 49-14) - The AC offense looks like a machine right now. They have 4 guys who can hurt you on the ground at any point and they equally distribute the carries. AC's strength on D is their front 7 and I expect that to show on Friday against the Northfield option attack. AC has not faced many non-spread teams this year, so I'm curious to see how their guys adjust, as they'll need to defend the run well the next few weeks if they want a chance to make it back to LOS.

West Central has a couple nice athletes in the Marlatt boy and White boys...both are quick.  Pilarski is a good player and Beiswinger is a good lineman but their probably the weakest 10-1 you'd ever see. 

Edited by WalterSobchak
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

West Central has a couple nice athletes in the Marlatt boy and White boys...both are quick.  Pilarski is a good player and Beiswinger is a good lineman but their probably the weakest 10-1 you'd ever see. 

I saw them Friday night against a woefully undermanned team in Taylor. No idea what Carroll (Flora) brings to the table … but West Central was very underwhelming for a team with only 1 loss on the season.

13 hours ago, Oldschool said:

Triton came in with a great gameplan against Judson and Judson seemed to come out flat. Triton's coach really made a crucial mistake when the score was 12-6. They had 3rd and 6 inside the 50 and decided to throw the ball deep instead of using the 2 downs to try to pound out 6 yards. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, littledog said:

Triton came in with a great gameplan against Judson and Judson seemed to come out flat. Triton's coach really made a crucial mistake when the score was 12-6. They had 3rd and 6 inside the 50 and decided to throw the ball deep instead of using the 2 downs to try to pound out 6 yards. 

TOTALLY agree!!! Said it while it was happening!  Run Shively twice to get first down!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

I saw them Friday night against a woefully undermanned team in Taylor. No idea what Carroll (Flora) brings to the table … but West Central was very underwhelming for a team with only 1 loss on the season.

Their conference is absolutely brutal. 

Winamac was very underwhelming this season with only 2 starters coming back and had 6 turnovers in their game against WC and lost by six. I don't think WC made it into the Red Zone. They scored on a 30+ yard run and a 97 yard scoop and score and a pick six. Winamac beat the #3 in the mwc by 4 tds with the back ups playing most of 3rd quarter and all of 4th.

It's west centrals best team since 2014 but the 2014, 2013 and 2012 teams would beat this wc team by 40+

Edited by WalterSobchak

4 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

Winamac was very underwhelming this season with only 2 starters coming back and had 6 turnovers in their game against WC and lost by six. I don't think WC made it into the Red Zone. They scored on a 30+ yard run and a 97 yard scoop and score and a pick six. Winamac beat the #3 in the mwc by 4 tds with the back ups playing most of 3rd quarter and all of 4th.

It's west centrals best team since 2014 but the 2014, 2013 and 2012 teams would beat this wc team by 40+

Winamac still lost to them... calm down. It took a late game punt return to make it even interesting. Can't fault them for a brutal conference when they took care of business with everyone in it. Compare Carrols conference to West Centrals and it's almost identical. Strength of schedules aren't far apart but Carrol is getting credit for being good and not the Trojans, should be a good one on friday night.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

2 hours ago, FootballGuy18 said:

Winamac still lost to them... calm down. It took a late game punt return to make it even interesting. Can't fault them for a brutal conference when they took care of business with everyone in it. Compare Carrols conference to West Centrals and it's almost identical. Strength of schedules aren't far apart but Carrol is getting credit for being good and not the Trojans, should be a good one on friday night.

For what it’s worth, Sagarin has Carroll as a 2 TD favorite.

3 hours ago, FootballGuy18 said:

WC had a good season, and I would say the conferences are comparable. With that being said, Caroll is a superior team and will have a running clock on WC Friday night. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, kdets89 said:

1A South:

Sect 45 - Sheridan has been running over teams lately with their big back, and that should continue against Hagerstown.  The run will end with a sectional title, as North Decatur awaits them in the regional.  The Blackhawks have some athletes, but not nearly as many as the Chargers.

Sect 46 - The title game occurred in the first round (Tri), the second round (Milan) was a challenge, but the third round (Knightstown) will offer a nice break for North Decatur.  JV players will see their last signifcant snaps of the year.

Coach Pasch going for win 200. Also, Tecumseh, any coach that led BNL to a sectional title, I am not going to underestimate. 

6 hours ago, FootballGuy18 said:

Make it interesting? Winamac was up 7-6 after 1, wc was up 14-7 at half and 20-7 at the end of 3 and Winamac outgained them lol the whole entire game. I don't know what game you were watching. I get it, you think you guys dominated winamac lol. 

3 hours ago, footballer_02 said:

WC had a good season, and I would say the conferences are comparable. With that being said, Caroll is a superior team and will have a running clock on WC Friday night. 

I don't think they are comparable. 

The MWC had 1 team make it to the 2nd round. The heartland had 4. HH had five teams with .500 or better records. Mwc had 3. 

There's a huge huge reason why Pioneer, Winamac and Caston got out of the MWC (caston maybe should have stayed but that's a different story). I think if you flip Winamac and Carroll.  Winamac doesn't have a winning record overall playing HH teams.  They win the MWC and that's the 7th place team in the HNAC I'm talking about. 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:39 AM, littledog said:

Just watched it again it was 3rd and a short 5 from the 42 1/2 yard line with 10:17 to go in the 4th.  Instead of running it twice to get the first down,  we threw it twice!  Unbelievable!

1 minute ago, Oldschool said:

Just watched it again it was 3rd and a short 5 from the 42 1/2 yard line with 10:17 to go in the 4th.  Instead of running it twice to get the first down,  we threw it twice!  Unbelievable!

Always easy to play arm-chair QB. 

2 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

I don't think they are comparable. 

The MWC had 1 team make it to the 2nd round. The heartland had 4. HH had five teams with .500 or better records. Mwc had 3. 

There's a huge huge reason why Pioneer, Winamac and Caston got out of the MWC (caston maybe should have stayed but that's a different story). I think if you flip Winamac and Carroll.  Winamac doesn't have a winning record overall playing HH teams.  They win the MWC and that's the 7th place team in the HNAC I'm talking about. 

I would say they're comparable to an extent. HH's top three teams would be #1 in the MWC, but when comparing apples to apples both the conferences are down. 

2 hours ago, footballer_02 said:

I would say they're comparable to an extent. HH's top three teams would be #1 in the MWC, but when comparing apples to apples both the conferences are down. 

Yes. It's good to see Sheridan being good again. 

I'm happy for Carroll, as a Winamac alum and who personally knows John Hendryx glad he's back there helping his son in law.  I think had his father not gotten sick sometime in 2005 (papa Jack Hendryx passed away in 06) I don't think John ever leaves Carroll.